Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sheilahoff

Inconsistent results w/ pl_blockquote and cite

sheilahoff

The top of these 3 pages each have a title, then a quote.

http://testing.hoffmangraphics.com/coach

http://testing.hoffmangraphics.com/mediate

http://testing.hoffmangraphics.com/consult 

I've made them all the same as far as how the CSS looks. But after changing content on the Consult page, the quote is now jammed together even though I did not touch the code for it! I need to figure out how to retain the consistent spacing and not have it break when we edit the page content! I'm not actually sure if the page is messed up just in IE or in all browsers.

I’m using pl_blockquote and cite in order to get the citation. I’ve used CSS for blockquote like this:

blockquote  {

font-size: 16px;

font-family: 'Segoe Script', cursive;

color: #426ea9;

border-left: 0;

margin: 0px 30px 20px 30px;      

}

These styles seem to be working in Chrome & FF but not IE.

I’ve also tried using blockquote .pull and pl_blockquote in the CSS.

And finally I’ve tried wrapping the code in [pl_raw]. So the final code looks like this:

<h1 style="text-align: left;" align="center"><b> Consult</b> and create the life you want…</h1>
[pl_raw][pl_blockquote pull="" cite="Maria Robinson, author"]
Nobody can go back and start a new beginning,
but anyone can start today and make a new ending.[/pl_blockquote]

Stepping out of a medical model of traditional psychotherapy, consultation with individuals and couples provides a venue for clients to freely explore their passions, interests, directions, questions at their own pace and for their own purpose. Placing a high value on personal, relationship and professional development, clients build on current skills, expand ideas, and participate in a synergistic/dynamic dialogue with sometimes unexpected and exciting results. Consultation is an active and engaged sharing — opening possibilities in the present to the future you imagine.[/pl_raw]

Help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sheila Hoffman | Hoffman Graphics | Seattle

James B

On the consult page the formatting seems to be inserted differently. In side the other pages there's an li and some additional text tags, on the consult page its just formatted as a standard paragraph. I would image that's because of the Pl-raw tag as that will strip out the formatting.

http://screencast.com/t/SbVXfED1p6h

http://screencast.com/t/j03IZ0qvyxn

Personally I would say remove the whole quote, then add it back again. Try and copy/paste one of the quotes you know works from the other page into that page to test first, make sure its nothing else on the page causing it.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

sheilahoff

James, while it's true that the Coach does have li tags that is for the indenting. It does not use the raw tags. Mediate does NOT have the li tags, uses raw tag and is fine. I'm trying to match Mediate and Consult, neither of which have li tags.

This is the Mediate code

<h1 style="text-align: left;" align="center"><b> Consult</b> and create the life you want…</h1>

[pl_raw][pl_blockquote pull="" cite="Maria Robinson, author"]
Nobody can go back and start a new beginning,
but anyone can start today and make a new ending.[/pl_blockquote][/pl_raw]

Stepping out of a medical model of traditional psychotherapy, consultation with individuals and couples provides a venue for clients to freely explore their passions, interests, directions, questions at their own pace and for their own purpose. Placing a high value on personal, relationship and professional development, clients build on current skills, expand ideas, and participate in a synergistic/dynamic dialogue with sometimes unexpected and exciting results. Consultation is an active and engaged sharing — opening possibilities in the present to the future you imagine.

and this is the Consult code

<h1 style="text-align: left;" align="center"><b>Mediate </b>and Resolve…</h1>

[pl_raw][pl_blockquote pull="" cite="Dorothy Thompson, American Journalist"]

Peace is not the absence of conflict but the presence of creative alternatives for responding to conflict…[/pl_blockquote][/pl_raw]
Actively engaging life, working with others, entering relationships involves conflict, tension, and stress. The secret is not living <i>without conflict</i>, but <i>living fully</i> with skills to reduce tension, manage stress, and transform painful and unproductive conflict into creative energy for learning, problem-solving, and sustaining meaningful relationships. Mediation and dispute resolution services helps couples, families and work partnerships come to a better understanding of each other’s point of view in order to make durable agreements for a better tomorrow.

They're exactly the same construction. And I have also tried, as you suggested, copying and starting over to no avail. Driving me NUTS!

So next I tried adding the code that worked to the page w/o changing it. Got the bad spacing. Hmmm. So then I deleted the entire page as you suggested and emptied the trash and tried again. Still same thing. BUT, the one difference was that now it is accepting a <br> tag between the heading and quote that is making it look pretty acceptable in all browsers (I think). I still don't know why it's so messed up but as long as we have something that works we can live with it.

Thanks for holding my hand through this. Now all 3 look OK and are each setup differently. My concern is that anytime we edit the content it could go haywire again.

Sheila Hoffman | Hoffman Graphics | Seattle