Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sheilahoff

RESOLVED: Lost all CSS

sheilahoff

I'm a relatively seasoned DMS user at this point. I was initially developing this site in the 1.2 beta but it was too buggy. You can see what it looked like in 1.2 here: http://karen.hoffmangraphics.com

But I couldn't keep developing in a beta that was so buggy and missing functionality. So I made a copy and downgraded it back to DMS 1.1.5 at another location: http://testing.hoffmangraphics.com. I'm using a child theme so theoretically all my CSS should be safe.

And this morning all was indeed GREAT. I was happily adding custom fonts, added a new section, Selettore Tabs. Then WHAM...out of nowhere! When I saved a CSS change it now seems I’ve lost all CSS. I can’t figure it out and don’t know what to do. I’ve cleared cache in DMS and in browser. I’ve checked that section caching isn’t on in Developer Tools. It’s not. I’ve disabled the tab section to no avail. I’ve removed the header script I'd added in order to use a commercial font. That didn’t fix it either. I switched from child theme to DMS and upgraded 1.1.7.3 then switched back to my child theme. Still no joy.

The  CSS is physically still sitting in Custom CSS, but none of it is being adhered to. I even tried removing it and then adding it back in via the Dashboard CSS Fallback. That didn't help either. I'm at a complete loss.

PS: I think it's back on track now. Ellen took a look and removed some CSS. But it's not all back yet but I should be able to get it going again. Not sure why this happened. Very scary. I would delete the post but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that.

Sheila Hoffman | Hoffman Graphics | Seattle

Danny

Hi,

You have set the title to Resolved, so is your issue resolved or not.

I can't stress this enough to anyone viewing this topic, you should always have a hard copy of your custom CSS on a separate file, as a precaution. Also add your custom CSS/LESS when using a child theme to the style.css file or if you're using both CSS and LESS create a style.less file, then add your code there. It should be physically impossible for your custom CSS/LESS to be removed from the style.css or style.less file.

No idea how this occurred, but unless you know what you're doing then you shouldn't be using the 1.2 branch due to it currently not even in beta, as its still being worked on.

Please search our forums, before posting!

sheilahoff

Thanks Danny. Yes it is now resolved. But to be clear, I realized I shouldn't be using beta and stopped. I moved the site back to 1.5. However, the PL Updater said an update was available and I did the update. Apparently the updater (while in 1.5) pushed out a beta! That's the only explanation for going from 1.5 to 1.1.7.3. I had NO idea when I clicked upgrade while in 1.5 that it would to THAT! So the beta, just FYI, makes a mess of RevSlider code. But my losing my CSS was a simple (stupid...but human) error. There was an extra close bracket that made it not function properly. And yes, I always have a backup of my CSS. And in this case it was actually there but being ignored.

I would love for your input on some other posts I made yesterday that are still issues. Namely, how to stop the RevSlider from bouncing and how to stop the Selettore Tabs from bouncing as well. Thank you.

Simon
The updater is for 1.2 branch. It will never push an update for the 1.1 branch

sheilahoff

Right. Well apparently when I downgraded the Updater plugin remained and I didn't KNOW it wasn't supposed to be part of 1.5 which is how I fell into this very ugly trap. It's all good now. But perhaps this cautionary tale with help someone else. Thanks.

Danny

Thanks for posting, I'm sure it will help other users.

Please search our forums, before posting!