Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

discotoast

Ajax Feature

discotoast

Hello there, I have been quite impressed with what I have seen you guys are doing here, and I would like to offer a suggestion, with help if needed, to enhance your product further.

I would like to see an ajax option for page flow. the reason for this has many options. you can have code that retains from page to page. in my case, it would be a media player, that would allow the music to remain seamless between page navigation while on the site. its really not hard to use jquery to capture all the anchor tags and rewrite dom actions on the fly so that this can all happen, in fact, ive already made a working prototype by making a custom word press plugin....its not perfect, and there's alot to be done still, but its a start, to show that it can be done. 

http://cynex.discotoast.com/wp/dms/

it even works while using the dms editor, although it took a bit of tweaking to get it going right. the reason I would like to do this is because I would like to build a artist / musician template that can be replicated for many of the dj's and artists i know now. I have been working on an html5 media player that will generate waveforms like soundcloud, and save the information on the server, but the core component I require is a system that allows the music to keep playing from page to page. unfortunately, ajax has proven to be the only real means to do so, short of a popup, but nobody really wants that. If you guys are willing to help me work with you, I'd be happy to work with you to achieve this, it could open doors for other developers as well.

Danny

HI,

We use GitHub, I would recommend you sign up if you aren't already and fork DMS, then do a pull request. As it looks like an interesting feature/option.

https://github.com/pagelines/DMS

Please search our forums, before posting!

discotoast

Thanks Danny, 

I will give it a go, Ill  be honest I haven't used git hub as most of my projects have been independently privatized for my clients, I have used tortoise before, but it was a little short lived. I'll try out what you are suggesting and see what becomes of it. What might be helpful is if I can ask a couple quick ones while I start mucking around.

- Are all your back end system actions in the live editor always based on using <a href=# as the element ? this would be key to understand as I can tell the plugin to ignore any dms page action request using this. 

- Are there any warnings you can advise that I should be cautious to when trying to implement an overwrite control mechanism such as this ?

- Are there any high level functions you open up that I should investigate that you can think off top your head that could prove useful ?

Cheers, looking forward with tinkering around a bit as I find free time between clients.