Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

motionltd

Internet Explorer issues with DMS help!

motionltd

Hi guys. I have a site I have almost finished. The client just called fretting that a client of theirs can't view the site using Internet Explorer 8. I have done some checking here and I've ticked the Ensble debug option and just installed Browser Specific CSS. I have done anything with it yet, just turned it on. Do I just add .ie to all my custom css? This could take a long time.

However, my main concern is that IE 8 doesn't seem to be picking up the basic layout of the page, the divs etc, its just listing everything in one vertical line. Surely this is beyond some css tweaking? Is there anything else I can do?

Please help! Site goes live on Friday.

Ben

motionltd.com

motionltd

Hi Guys. I found this on the forum. Would this help me?

Sorry, when it comes to anything but CSS I am a bit of a novice. Any help would be great. I've invested allot of time in this site, client is about to pay. But his wife uses IE8 and is saying the site looks terrible! I really hope theres a solution. I'm guessing there must be as EI still has 50% market share, and from a quick search I see most of those users are still on IE8, so its a big user group.

"probably your user is running comparability mode in ie8 without knowing it. you can help to disable it by adding this to the header scripts area:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=9; IE=8; IE=7; IE=EDGE" />"

Ben

motionltd.com

Danny

Hi,

To be honest, any site would look terrible in IE8, if I was you, I would recommend his wife to install Chrome or at the very least update IE. As IE8 is probably a security risk and doesn't support HTML5 and CSS3, so she isn't seeing the web as it was intended. That is the reason why we only provide limited support in DMS for IE8.

That said, the DMS Pro Tools plugin does include scripts that should improve IE8 compatibility. If that isn't resolving the issue you will need to show us images of the site so we can see first hand (not many of our support team have access to IE8) the problem.

Also, to my knowledge IE8 hasn't had a huge market share for years, the only real people still using are companies who refuse to follow the times and update their systems and people who still use XP as an operating system or have not been informed that IE browsers are basically really poor and should use a proper browser i.e Chrome.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Please search our forums, before posting!

motionltd

Thanks for the info Danny. I had found this report which made me thing world wide IE is still the most used.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/01/windows-8-x-breaks-10-percent-internet-explorer-11-makes-a-splash/

Anyway, its fine to ask my clients wife to upgrade. But the next question from the client will be, 'what about all the others using older browsers?'. Clients hate the idea some people might not be able to see the site correctly and its hard for me to say to them 'just don't worry about them, they should be upgrading'. Having said that I do understand that IE is rubbish and its hard to code for it these days. 

Some questions if thats ok.

Are you saying theres nothing that can be done?

Am I wasting my time trying to use Browser Specific CSS?

Could an experienced coder get it working? I have allot riding on this site so I will pay someone to put it right if I have to.

Attached, 2 screen shots. The one thats a photo of the screen is the IE8 one. Basically what its doing is just making everything vertical with every little styling. Plus, its not resizing any images. Plus the REV slider is not even showing. 

[URL=http://s750.photobucket.com/user/motoringart100/media/ScreenShot2014-01-20at125829_zpscea364b8.png.html]ScreenShot2014-01-20at125829_zpscea364b8[/URL]

[URL=http://s750.photobucket.com/user/motoringart100/media/IMG_0772_zps6b5b6cbc.jpg.html]IMG_0772_zps6b5b6cbc.jpg[/URL]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

Ben

motionltd.com

Simon
Browser specific css plugin was for PageLines Framework, if your using DMS just install the pro tools, its built in. Tho we have no idea what version of what you are using as you have not provided a URL.

The 50% stats you linked to say that yes IE/windows soes have a 50% ish share, but that is not IE8.
http://clicky.com/marketshare/global/web-browsers/internet-explorer/

But anyway, stats aside, provide a link and maybe we can try and test in ie8.

motionltd

Hi Simon, thanks for looking at this. Here is the link. www.curiousartsfestival.com/home 

Please do let me know if theres anything I can do to help IE8. By the wary, how far back do you support with IE? 9? 10?

Cheers

Ben

Ben

motionltd.com

Simon
Try the dms pro tools plugin, it has a js script that helps ( a bit ) with very old versions of IE.

Your site is using all sorts of css3 animations etc. ie8 predates all that so even with helper scripts it still cant do it.

If you want your finished site to look the same in ie8 and latest chrome/firefox/ie then the weakest link is ie8.

Is your client actually using ie8 everyday or just testing it using an online browser tester?

motionltd

Hi Simon

I do have pro tools added. And Enable debug ticked. Is that all I need to do? I will turn off the animations and see if that helps.

The clients wife is sing IE8 at work. He's on a mac so its fine for him. But now he's seen the site broken on another browser he's spooked and now worried about all IE8 users not seeing the site. Is there a general 2014 web argument for this kind of thing? Is the web community as a whole only supporting so many versions back?

Ben

motionltd.com

Simon
The pro tools css/js is not being loaded, are you sure you have it installed and the css bit switched on?

motionltd

Its this one right?

DMS Professional Tools

Pro member code and utilities for PageLines DMS.

Version 1.4.2 | By PageLines | Visit plugin site

Ben

motionltd.com

motionltd

Arr, I see now. Didn't realise it created another menu item down the bottom on the left.

Ben

motionltd.com

motionltd

Ok, I've turned that on and its improved greatly! Not perfect, but a million times better. Thanks allot. 

Should I try and tidy up the CSS and turn off the animation? Will that help at all?

Ben

motionltd.com

atcdomainsolutions

Ok, I've turned that on and its improved greatly! Not perfect, but a million times better. Thanks allot. 

Should I try and tidy up the CSS and turn off the animation? Will that help at all?

motionltd, something I have been doing with some of my DMS sites is adding the plugin "Advanced Browser Check".  You can set it to warn users using older versions of IE to upgrade their browser or use Chrome or Firefox, etc for the site for better user experience.  Great little "easy" solution to maybe force those to use something different.  Had this issue with an attorney site I had to create.  They were very stubborn and used IE7 still in their firm.

Simon

Yea the javascripts try and emulate some of the css3 properties, trust me thats about as good as it gets ;) What you can do now is target the ie8 body tag that gets added to tidy things up a bit.

@[member=motionltd], something I have been doing with some of my DMS sites is adding the plugin "Advanced Browser Check".  You can set it to warn users using older versions of IE to upgrade their browser or use Chrome or Firefox, etc for the site for better user experience.  Great little "easy" solution to maybe force those to use something different.  Had this issue with an attorney site I had to create.  They were very stubborn and used IE7 still in their firm.

Couldn't agree more here.

motionltd

motionltd, something I have been doing with some of my DMS sites is adding the plugin "Advanced Browser Check".  You can set it to warn users using older versions of IE to upgrade their browser or use Chrome or Firefox, etc for the site for better user experience.  Great little "easy" solution to maybe force those to use something different.  Had this issue with an attorney site I had to create.  They were very stubborn and used IE7 still in their firm.

Thanks for that tip, thats great. I will do that!

Ben

motionltd.com

motionltd

Yea the javascripts try and emulate some of the css3 properties, trust me thats about as good as it gets ;) What you can do now is target the ie8 body tag that gets added to tidy things up a bit.

Thanks Simon. Sorry to ask, but any info on targeting the ie8 body tag would be great. A link to some documentation? as I'm not sure what that means.

Cheers

Ben

Ben

motionltd.com

Simon
if a user is browsing your site in ie8, the ie8 body tag gets added to the <body> tag, take a look at the page with view source.

With this you can target any element on the page, lets say you have a div with an id 'my-div' and you want it 100% width in ie8

.ie8 #mydiv { width: 100% }

motionltd

Hi Simon, I see. That makes sense. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the info!

Ben

motionltd.com