Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paul_t

Templates question

paul_t

Wordpress Edit >  Pages list the current templates

Selecting these doesn't always seem to update the page template?

Is there definitive guidance on this - or is the current issue with Templates not updating causing the template selection on the page edit to work sporadically?

Bottom line - I have a site that I want to lock a client out of the DMS and have them choose the template from the page edit menu - should this be working?

Danny

Hi,

The templates used in DMS aren't your typical Wordpress templates. So at present you can not select a template from the Page Attributes menu and have that template assigned to that page. However, our developers are aware of this.

Please search our forums, before posting!

paul_t

Thanks - definitely one for the top of the list.Really don't want (some) clients accessing the DMS design controls - disaster waiting to happen. Choose a template is about as far as I would trust some. 

In the mean time - I take it the only way a client can currently choose a template is to have access to the full DMS editor ?

James B

Hi there,

That's correct, currently the only way to assign a template to a page is via the dms editor. You can lock specific users out of the DMS editor using - http://docs.pagelines.com/tutorials/lockdown-visual-editor or lock specific panels out of the DMS editor - http://www.pagelinestheme.com/dms-editor-lock-down/ in the meantime until a the dev team issue another method or work round to assign the templates via the wp admin.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

paul_t

Thanks

Locking users out of the DMS editor was the issue.

Although its possible (and have done it), they don't now appear to be able to choose a page template, which is a huge problem.

As you mention the Dev Team are aware, but can't state strongly enough that this is a big problem.

Didn't realise you could lock individual panels - but the instructions from the link above appear to now be depricated?

To clarify

Is the lock panels option only possible by plugin?

(and one would assume that any lock out of the editor would bring us back to the original problem)

Or is there some half way house, i.e. can it be setup so users can only see the the Template Assign page in the DMS editor?

tia

James B

Delete the whole thread? We can close the thread if you've resolved, we would usually delete.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

paul_t

No - not the thread - would still like clarification on locking out.

Just the last comment from me  (Edited - Mods please delete) - thought I'd found an issue  -  not the case.

thanks

James B

Hi there, yes the plugin is the easiest method at the moment. This was created by one of the third party devleopers, although you can do it manually by using a hook/filter to remove the required panels from the DMS editor. Modifying the code inside the plugin you'll be able to hide any of the panels you don't want the clients to have access to, leaving only the ones you want them to be able to use like templates, add sections etc.

James B