Should i be using a Child Theme?

4 posts in this topic

I was looking for some advice about my current workflow. For a while now i have been designing sites directly to the DMS framework however i keep coming across people recommending the use of a child theme as it is the safest method. 

This is taken directly from WP Codex :

If you modify an existing theme and it is updated, your changes will be lost. With a child theme, you can update the parent theme (which might be important for security or functionality) and still keep your changes

Basically i am looking for peoples opinions on which is best. If it was my site i wouldn't be as concerned but i have a string of upcoming jobs for important clients and want everything to go as smoothly as possible. 

As you can tell i am a designer rather than a coder so be nice! 

1 person likes this

Hi Sean

Using a child theme is considered the professional way to enter your custom code. This will be re-enforced on the support forums as mode standard Wp themes don't have an inbuilt custom css area like DMS does, a majority of them will handle their changes through the style.css of a child theme. DMS allows the user three different ways to add code, either by the admin panel, a child theme or the customize plugin. Each has its own benefits depending on the users aims and skillset.

Personally I feel if designing for clients its better to use a child theme to insert your custom code, as it first looks more professional as the client can't see your custom code, and secondly as the code isn't within the dms editor there's no so much of a risk of the client deleting or adjusting anything which causes it to break etc.

2 people like this

Hey James,

That's great thanks for your help. I'll go with a child theme for my next project. 

Standby for possibly more questions!  :D

Will do :-)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Basic Child Theme
      By dawsonbarber+
      I want to install a basic child theme on a site I'm switching from iBlogPro6 to PL5 and want to make sure I've got the minimum covered:
      screenshot.png style.css functions.php That's it, isn't it?
    • Skeleton Child Theme
      By vanessabt+
      Follow up for Danny about the Skeleton child theme on github.....
      I am going to download the advanced version for a client site I will be starting to build. I was reading through the theming overview and structure on pagelines.  basically I download this and rename the directory to the theme name.  then change out all the headers in the style.css file, add any css that I may want to have styled on site wide and save it, then zip that and upload it as my theme to basically build out a demo site. create any customized page templates for internal or site pages I want, drag and drop pieces into sections and save them as new sections to be reused in the site and then go to the import + export area in global settings and publish this configuration to child theme.
      I don't expect to get into building custom sections yet or messing with any php either.  But how do I then go about exporting this so that I can reuse it?  Does the Custom CSS/Less that i put into the pagelines custom area in the editor get added to the theme when I publish the config to child theme for future use as well?
      I am really new to this whole "building a theme" thing. I have read stuff on github on creating wordpress child themes, etc and it seems a little advanced for me but I see the value of using the child theme for the client instead of just installing dms and doing custom css on it.
      Is there any additional guidance you can provide me?
      I really wish you made a step by step teaching tutorial video or lesson based guide that a person can work through each step in building out the first ones from basic to advanced.  That would be awesome....
      Look forward to hearing back.
    • When and Why Do I Need to Use a Child Theme with DMS?
      By jennajonesdesign
      Hi! I have done a ton of sites with DMS. A client (who is very happy with her site) just had another developer look at the site I created for her and was shocked that I had not used a Child Theme. She got an earful about it. I have been doing sites for clients without using a Child Theme. Is there a problem with this? Should I be using a Child Theme with DMS? 
      If I do need to be using a child theme is there an easy way to take what I have created and turn it into a Child Theme?
      If you guys think I am good to go as I have been doing things, anyone have a thoughtful response on how I can explain things to my client?
      Thanks for your input! Feeling like I should already know this stuff. Thought it was more a matter of preference than best practice, but maybe I am wrong!?
    • Creating page templates for a child theme
      By sarahHB
      Hi there, Just bought the DMS framework and I am very excited to start!
      I will be using the framework to build child themes. Just to be clear all of the styling I change in the child theme will not precipitate though to the parent DMS, is this the same for building page templates. i.e. should I build the page templates in the parent theme or child theme? Once I build and save the new page templates via the DMS framework, where will they be stored (so I can access them through FTP)
      Thanks in advance and so far Pagelines is awesome! :)
    • How Do I Create a Child Theme for iblogpro6
      By dawsonbarber+
      Scratch this topic: the usual way does work. I think I need sleep.
      (Couldn't prefix the topic with iblogpro6 because it's not in the topic prefix dropdown).
      Anyway, I've tried the usual way, with Danny's Skeleton theme, but it's not working.
      Could someone let me know what I need to do?