Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sheilahoff

Previous/Next Post Navigation buttons

sheilahoff

I have two questions/issues. I love how the post navigation lists the name of the post before and after which is very clear. With the page navigation it's not so clear. If you go to the second page of my dev site's blog here http://tca.hoffmangraphics.com/blog/page/2/ you'll see next and previous buttons smashed together to the right. On all my other DMS sites they are at the margins. My CSS says:

.pager .previous a {
    float: left;
}

1) I wonder why the previous button isn't floating left?! I'd like to fix that.

2) And, I'd like to know where I can edit the text so it would say older posts and newer posts as this terminology is unclear. I'm guessing somewhere in the child theme functions maybe? But I need some specific direction.

Here's what the client said to me, so maybe I need to do something with the arrows, not sure:

Am I the only one who finds the arrows on Previous Entries…Next Entries buttons are backwards?

An arrow to the Left should take you to what you have already seen  (Already viewed…5…6...7…More)  An arrow to the right should ‘scroll down’ to an earlier posting.

Hmmm....re-reading what he wrote....I'm not sure I agree. None-the-less my two questions remain.

Thanks,
Sheila

Sheila Hoffman | Hoffman Graphics | Seattle

Danny

Hi Sheila,

When you diagnose an issue with DMS, you need to first make sure you have disabled all active plugins before posting. As this from what I can tell is caused by another plugin you have installed.

Another Wordpress Classifieds plugin

Disable that plugin and the styling should return to normal. From what I can tell it uses similar CSS which is effecting the Pagination section.

Please search our forums, before posting!

sheilahoff

Thanks Danny. Not sure how you so quickly saw which plugin was the conflict but you're correct. Disabling it fixes the button alignment issue. However I'm clueless how to resolve it while retaining the plugin. If we must, we can live with them mashed together.

But you didn't indicate any way for me to edit what the buttons say.

Danny

I have ninja skills :D

No, basically if you view your site and then inspect in Chromes web dev tools, it has the CSS and the location from where it comes from, I noticed that the CSS that causing the issue was coming from that plugins directory that all.

As far as I am aware the previous/next are Wordpress, so you could probably use a filter, but this would be specific to Wordpress, you should probably try searching the Wordpress forums, there may already be a filter on there.

sheilahoff

Thanks  Ninja! Yes, there's info in the codex about editing the code. I was hoping there might be an easier tweak. Guess not.

Danny

You should be able to use a hook, this question must have been asked hundreds of times (I'm sure I've seen it on the Wordpress forums myself) so search the Wordpress forums, I'm positive its a filter that can be added to your functions.php file and all you need to do is add your own text to replace the Previous/Next.