Sign in to follow this  
leftcoastmichael

How to move site?

leftcoastmichael

We have built our site on one server and domain, and would like to take it live on our main server and domain. They are separate physically. How can we move the site? Can we simply download the appropriate wp folder, then upload that to the other site?

Andrew

There are two things that go into a WP site.

1. The WordPress and Theme code
  2. The Database
To move the WP and theme code, yes just cut and paste. You will need to change your WP-config file; the theme should work if WP is set up correctly (although your URLs in the options might need to be changed) To move the database, login to phpMyAdmin and do an export/import of your DB content. Does this help?

leftcoastmichael

Thanks. Where do I find phpMyAdmin ?

Andrew

Usually you can find it through your Cpanel or Plesk interface.

leftcoastmichael

thanks, this worked fine.

cookpengmailcom

When I moved our site I get a wordpress error saying 'You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page'. I isolated the problem to the theme. When I deactivate, move the site and reactivate, I lose most theme data even after backing up and restoring settings. What can i do to keep the data and not have to rebuild my site after changing the address?

cmunns

You need the options database from your phpMyAdmin not just the db that holds all the content.

cookpengmailcom

Do you mean a specific table within my wp database? Are we talking copying a table in phpMyadmin or something else? Your help is much appreciated!

cmunns

When you deactivate the theme and move the site you are not bringing over all of the db that are associated with theme. If it tells you don't have sufficient privileges then you need to check permissions. This is a fairly common problem in WordPress.

cookpengmailcom

I'm the admin user, moving site from subdomain to top level domain. Performed a search-replace of the address in the db, moved the files, get the error about sufficient permissions. This may be a 'common problem' but I have isolated it to the PageLines theme being enabled. I just need to move this thing without losing the settings as I deactivate and reactivate the theme. Does this make sense? I would love to interact by email or phone if its possible.

nrbeatty

Moving a site is a perfect question for your webhost if you have one. I did it over the phone with my host in a few minutes today. It's really a wordpress question vs. a theme question. If your selfhosting, it's still a WP issue vs. Pagelines support issue.

bryan-hadaway

Hi Pen, at the bottom of your PageLines Theme Options, is a blue button to backup all your settings to the database. Ideally, this should have been done before the move. But, you can still back it up then download just the table with those settings from your db and import it into your new one and then in your Theme Options, choose "Restore Settings from Backup". Also, can you post the exact error messages you're getting. Thanks, Bryan

karengrovesdesignnet

Hi - Here's a link to an excellent step-by-step guide on how to move WordPress sites in general from one server to another. I tried several tutorials and found this one to be right the first time. You do need to be a little familiar with phpMyAdmin, but this pretty much walks you through it. Hope this may be of hep to anyone looking at this post. Moving WordPress to a New Server