Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goviral

Ipad menu issues

goviral

Website URL:  test.gowebgomobile.com
Framework Version: V.1.1.4
WordPress Version:  3.8
Plugins in Use: All in One SEO, Contact Form 7, Contact Form 7 Honeypot, Custom sidebars, DMS Professional Tools, Footer Extras DMS, HMS Testimonials, 

LayerSlider WP, Responsive Gallery Grid, Simple Contact Form Revisited Widget, Simplified Google Maps Light, WpSilos2
Details:

I have been having problems with getting my menu working on the ipad. I can't get the top menu item to open up but it will on the desktop.

I have the fixed nav bar enabled.

I have gone to

Settings > Global > Primary > Header

Secondary > sub menu

then in the Fixed menu section I have enabled the Header menu with activate drop downs on hover.

The Header menu has placeholder, top menu and sub menu items.

The Sub menu for the global nav section has only got the sub menu items.

Before doing this, the menu didn't work at all on the ipad. Now, I can't get the top menu items but can access the sub menu items. 

Should I have created a different menu that just has the top menu items for the Global > Primary and the sub menu in the Secondary > sub menu? I am a bit confused as to how to get the menu working well.

Thanks for any help.

Danny

Hi,

First you should disable all active plugins and see if this resolves your issue. I don't have an iPad with me to check your site.

In regards to the Primary and Secondary options. The way the mobile menu works is that you should create two more menus one for Primary which should house your main site links and the Secondary menu should how your sub menu items. The reason for this is the mobile menu doesn't support drop down or submenus.

Please search our forums, before posting!

goviral

Thanks. I forgot to mention that I did try deactivating all the plugins. But I still must be doing something wrong! Can't open main menu items on ipad still. 

I have now created a "header" menu that I have selected by clicking on Edit in the left of the fixed nav bar. Then selected Header menu (placeholder, main and sub pages) in drop down to select which menu.

Then I went to Settings > Global > Layout and Nav > Select Primary Nav Menu > Main (only has the top level pages of the Header menu). 

Then Settings > Global > Layout and Nav > Select Secondary Nav menu > Sub Menu (only has sub menu items).

I have tried all of the above (including deactivating plugins again) and can't get to the main menu items on the iPad 3.

This works fine on desktop. It also works on my GS2 Android phone but  there it is a mobile menu where all menu links work, placeholder, main and sub menu items. I can click on all of them and get to the page. I don't have an iphone here at the moment so will try to test on that later to see if it's an i Thing!

I can still access the sub menu items. Is it possible to use the mobile menu that comes up on smartphones on ipads and tablets? 

any help would be so appreciated.

greenfly

Hi @goviral 

Whichever is your top level page with subpages in the drop down beneath it will not be clickable in mobile view (ipad etc) so adding a sub menu item with it's own sub menu items will cause this to not be clickable in the sub menu - does that make sense? 

maybe add the top level menu item as another sub menu item but without it's own sub pages. So the social menu item top level has sub pages of social then facebook etc etc 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

goviral

Thanks for the suggestion. I still can't get it to work. I must be doing something wrong.

I added the top level menu item into the sub menu as you suggested but it is still just giving the same menu on the ipad and that won't allow the top level to drop down. 

It isn't displaying the top level pages above the submenu pages on the ipad. It justs looks like the Header Menu.

The Global settings have the Primary nav as the Main (just top level pages) and secondary nav as the sub menu (both top and sub in one line - no drop downs).

You can check the ipad menu out here: http://ipad-emulator.org/  site is: test.gowebgomobile.com

Is there no way to force the ipad to display the mobile/smartphone menu?

Thanks

Screenshot of menu for desktop (fixed nav).

header_menu.png

Screenshot of Main Primary Menu for Global nav

main_menu.png

Screenshot of Sub menu for Secondary nav

submenu.png

As I said, it works fine on the mobile.

goviral

Sorry, it doesn't work on mobiles now.

Before I tried the new submenu with both top and sub menu items on it, the mobile menu worked fine.

Now, the mobile menu displays the Main (global primary) menu above the full submenu (global secondary) so it looks really weird and doesn't really work. 

I will have to go back to the old version to get it to work on mobiles but if I could just use the mobile menu on ipad, it should work. Is this not possible?

goviral
I tried to go back to just the fixed nav and remove the global options but the original mobile menu (displayed sub items under top level items as with main desktop menu. Accessed after clicking on menu button, top right). But top menu links didn't work on ipad.

Now, if I remove global options and only keep fixed nav, mobile menu doesn't work.

Do I have to buy uber menus to get it to work?

Doesn't make sense to have menu broken on ipad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Danny

Your mobile menu is working on iPhone, I've just tested it myself. The mobile menu will not kick in if you're viewing your site on an iPad, when using landscape, as the width is larger enough.

You also seem to be confused as to how the menu works.

The Fixed NavBar and NavBar section are based on the Bootstrap navigation design. The menu has been designed that whenever you have a menu item that has a sub menu, the parent menu item is no longer a clickable link instead it acts as an anchor that when clicked will activate your sub menu. This means that if you wish to have your parent menu items still be a clickable link you will need to use an alternative menu such as UberMenu.

You can see the Bootstrap menu in action here - http://getbootstrap.com/components/#navbar

goviral
I thought I did understand how the menu works,

- that the top level items don't work except as placeholders.

To get the mobile menu to work I have had to create separate top level and sub menus for global nav in primary and secondary. My issue was with why it wouldn't work on ipad (yes in landscape mode).

The top menu items work in mobile (albeit with list of top menu above list of sub menu) but on ipad (both modes) those top items, when clicked, don't go anywhere.

It seems to use the fixed nav on ipad in landscape but top menu (under placeholders) don't go anywhere on ipad but they work on desktop. I don't know why this is happening.

I give up though, I'll have to pay for über menu, I guess.

goviral
Thanks for your help though.

Danny

AH I see, so you were referring to the actual menu in the mobile menu. I apologise, I didn't understand sooner. Yes, basically, the in order to populate the mobile menu, you do so by either selecting or creating a whole new menu and then assigning it in the DMS Toolbar > Layout & Nav > Primary/Secondary.

The Primary should be used for your menus main links such as About, News, Contact us etc..

The Secondary should be (but doesn't have to be) your less important menu items or sub menu pages.

goviral

Ok thanks for your help. I changed theme in the end but will try again to get it to work.

greenfly

goviral please let us know how you get on with this. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"