Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stephen

Help, DMS is deleting stuff!

Stephen    3
Stephen

Any reason why DMS would begin deleting stuff? Everything was working great until midnight, I'm in California, when it suddenly DMS deletes all my custom CSS - I haven't touched it at all tonight. Luckily I have a back-up and I copy and paste the CSS back in. Once I get that back and it deletes my fixed navigation settings - again, haven't touched that at all tonight. I get that fixed and it changes my website from percentage width to pixel. I finally had to stop because I couldn't fix the errors fast enough before something else would come undone. I've had sections vanish, but never anything like this. Please help!!!

I'm also attaching a screen shot of one of the panels. Once this began to happen, this panel changed. I've cleared cache, rebooted my machine and nothing resets this.

This is the crazy part. I correct the changes, save each one, then DMS slowly reverts its self back to the mis-configured state. Why? 

Danny    1,327
Danny

Hi,

This is rather odd and in my opinion is either related to a plugin or your server setup. Have you tried to recreate the issue without any plugins active ?

Can you provide a link to your site and enable PL debug mode please. You can do this by going to DMS Toolbar > Settings > Advanced.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Stephen    3
Stephen

I've now got two sites doing the same thing and possibly a third. All configured differently and and on different servers.

The server set-up has come up before. Is there a definitive guide set-up guide? I can't find any information or requirements? 

Below are the sites giving me trouble. Debug is enabled both.

Fist site: Still in development

mjp.stephenjgainescom

Second site: Live

chamberlainbackhoe.com

If you want to see under the hood, send me an email and I'll provide you with admin access.

SJG

James B    436
James B

Hi there,

Requirements for DMS can be found at - http://docs.pagelines.com/getting-started/system-requirements Debug will usually show if there are any php warnings, deprecated functions etc depending on how the host has set the server (if they've made restrictions etc).

The debug screen seems to be fine other than you're getting some odd version numbers for your Wordpress install, instead of Wordpress 3.8 showing its showing version numbers of 222 and 459.

Do you host the sites on your own server? Set everything up manually yourself etc?

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

Stephen    3
Stephen

Not hosting myself. It's my security plug in - Better WP Security. It hides the WP version and spits out random versions. 

Using GoDaddy's shared hosting. Need to until I can afford to move.

GoDaddy won't enable POSIX for me since it would effect every website on my server. As far as I know, Magic quotes isn't enabled. How do I check?

Both sites are on GoDaddy. 

mjp.stephenjgaines.com 

• Set-up using GoDaddy's sub-domain tool
  • Used their WordPress installer

chamberlainbackhoe.com 

• Set-up on originally my desktop, then deployed to one of my subdomains using DesktopServer and Duplicator, then finally to the client's live site.
  • sirduke.stephenjgaines.com/deere (sub-domain still active if you want to check it out)

When working on this site: mjp.stephenjgaines.com Stuff has disappeared twice while working on this site. Both times happened when I was working late - late Sunday nights around midnight. No this isn't a ghost story. The first time, I decided it was a sign that I needed to go to bed. The issue seemed to resolve the following day. The second time I found my self chasing the same error. it was a loop.

After deploying chamberlainbackhoe.com to it's live site, stuff began to undo and disappear untouched after a couple days. 

dreamsight+    8
dreamsight

I'd just like to point out that im having the same issue, DMS keeps deleting a sidebar section and textboxes from the site im working on.

Danny    1,327
Danny

This may sound daft, but are you both making sure that your changes have been saved ? None of our team is able to recreate this issue.

Stephen    3
Stephen

Danny, your dismissive response has really made me angry. Do you honestly believe I'm stupid? 

No, I haven't forgotten to save anything, in fact, because this happens so often, I save changes multiple times before moving on. 

BTW: DMS is doing the same thing. I installed the Follow-me plug-in from your store and once it activated the following happened: 

• Percentage width is now pixel width and everything has shifted
  • My header is gone
  • The fixed menu is gone
  • The favicon, login and Mobile touch images are gone
  • Typography has been reset 
  • Everything in my CSS/Less panel is gone
  • Enable debug and error notices have been deselected

Based on the entry above, I'm not the only one having the issue. 

Is there someone that can give me the benefit of the doubt that I'm not an idiot and can help? 

Stephen    3
Stephen

BTW: what does Danny mean when he mentions that "None of our team is able to recreate this issue." How are you recreating my issue without any input from me or my site? 

Rob Thomas+    7
Rob Thomas

Danny, anyone can google the terms "Pagelines DMS delete" and see that this is a known issue.

And, no, Stephen, you are not alone. Other people have reported this issue to (sadly) similar response from Pagelines. 

seanocaside21+    10
seanocaside21

Hi Guys,

I had a similar issue quite recently but not as severe as described above. 

I recently updated a clients site to the latest version of DMS (1.1.4). When update completed all seemed fine but when i delved further into the site i noticed that some the Quickslider sections had completely reset to the default. 

It wasn't the end of the world but makes me nervous for future updates. 

I wonder is it something to do with my work flow? Is there anyway of preventing this happening when updating the theme in the future?

Thanks,

Sean. 

seanocaside21+    10
seanocaside21

Hi Guys,

I had a similar issue quite recently but not as severe as described above. 

I recently updated a clients site to the latest version of DMS (1.1.4). When update completed all seemed fine but when i delved further into the site i noticed that some the Quickslider sections had completely reset to the default. 

It wasn't the end of the world but makes me nervous for future updates. 

I wonder is it something to do with my work flow? Is there anyway of preventing this happening when updating the theme in the future?

Thanks,

Sean. 

I'm beginning to think that i should be working with a Child theme? 

Would this allow me to avoid anything else going missing with future updates?

Danny    1,327
Danny

Stephen - My response was in noway mean't to be dismissive or irritate you in anyway. I just have to cover all the bases, some users in the past have had our team scratching our head for weeks, then they reply and sorry, I didn't do X, which is why they were experiencing the problem to begin with and why our team were all confused. So by me asking you have you made sure you have waited for the saving icon to complete and then clicked publish, is me just making sure.

Now the real problem is, you have brought up something that has had me scratching my head for months, Rob (I think) reported this in October/November and not once have I been able to recreate the issue, without me being able to recreate the issue, I can't reported it as a bug, because when our developers ask, how do we create the error, I can't tell them. So unless I have specific steps to recreate the error, I have to believe that the issue is either pilot error, a plugin, custom code or server related.

We have ruled out pilot error, if your issue is exactly the same as Robs, then we can rule out the server too as he is using FlyWheel if my memory serves me correctly. So the only alternative is a DMS bug that none of our support team can recreate or a plugin/custom code/script.

Therefore, Stephen, if you can provide in detail the exact steps you take to recreate your issue, will be most welcome. So we can address this problem once and for all.

In regards to your issue installing the Follow-me plugin and from that you were introduced to all those errors. Its difficult to imagine how one plugin could cause that much destruction.

So can you provide a link to your site and enable DMS debug mode please, so we can take a look at your server info. DMS Debug mode can be found in DMS Toolbar > Settings > Advanced

Rob Thomas"] - Our support team are aware of the issue, but I as I have mentioned to you several times and just now to @[member="Stephen, we have yet to encounter the issue. Not once have I had DMS delete, remove any sections or settings on any of my test sites.

These test sites are on FlyWheel, Linode, Digital Ocean and MAMP.

seanocaside21 - What version did you update from ?

Also, if DMS is removing sections/settings, then a child theme won't help you, as its still using the parent themes functionality.

Stephen"], @[member="Rob Thomas, if any of you can provide the exact steps so I can recreate the issue, I will certainly make this top priority. I just need to recreate first.

dreamsight+    8
dreamsight

Danny i don't see why you don't need me to provide steps seeing as i have the same issue.  i'll go ahead anyway, as it's still ongoing and affecting me.

On the site i'm working on now, i add a 'primary sidebar,' which contains a form, to a column, click save and it's there, then i hit refresh and it's there still. so i carry on and do something else, only to come back to the page its supposed to be on and see that it is not there. This has also started happening with textboxes. On every site i work on i press 'publish' at least 3 times every time, just to make sure. 

One thing I've noticed, that may or may not be related, is that i get an prolonged 'refresh' screen sometimes after hitting publish and then refresh, and if i refresh that screen after being patient, then the changes are not saved then either. Our internet connection here is fine, and computer memory is also not at fault here. 

jamesmaccer    6
jamesmaccer

I've had the same issue with two sites. both on different servers and both with minimal plugins - all of which have been recommended on this forum. To be fair, it has only happened once on each site. I've learned my lesson now & save my CSS in an excel file & all the content in a word doc. 

dreamsight+    8
dreamsight

I've just lost an entire front end of the site.... this has only really happened recently. before things wouldnt save. but now things are being deleted. i'm so frustrated its unreal, this has happened twice now.. i cant charge the client for this and its time lost. 

another thing that may or may not be related, if you drop something in a column, lets say a text box, under a picture or contentloop. then upon refreshing the editor field of the lowest thing dropped will cover the whole column.. so it appears that all of the boxes in the column are a very long textbox. this can be resolved by simply dragging the overlapping editor and it will return to its original size. but this is something thats cropped up lately aswell. look forward to any ideas of fixing both of these issues whethers its on my end or its a bug.

Simon    247
Simon
How recent? There has not been any updates to DMS for over 1 month.

Stephen    3
Stephen

Danny what would be helpful for me and I think it's ok to speak for the other people on this thread, if you and your team would remember that we all make our living using this product. I'm a freelancer and I don't get paid if the work is late or isn't done. Imagine working all night on a project, thinking you are almost done, then suddenly big chunks of it are missing. I'm experiencing this issue with three different projects and it's embarrassing to tell my clients that I have no idea what happened. There are five people in this discussion who are having the same issue. Please stop acting like we are the problem.

Danny    1,327
Danny

Stephen

I really wish you would stop twisting my words and taking offence to my replies, when there is nothing to take offence too in what I've wrote, all I am trying to do is get to the bottom of the issue.

Please quote anywhere, where I have said that the people who are encountering this issue, are the problem ? I haven't. There is only one problem here and that is a small amount of users have reported a very problematic issue, that none of our team can recreate nor has any of our store developers reported a similar issue, who use DMS extensively.

I asked you above to provide any information that may point us in the right direction, you have failed to provide anything.

Stephen"], @[member="Rob Thomas"], @[member="dreamsight"], @[member="seanocaside21"], @[member="jamesmaccer

If all of you can compile a list of plugins you all use

A link to the site(s) in question, making sure debug mode is active

Any steps you think will help me recreate the problem.

That would be most helpful.

dreamsight+    8
dreamsight
I've just edited the custom css hit publish and lost the whole front page layout AGAIN!!!
Not only have I wasted the whole day setting the front page up after loosing it yesterday, but how can I hand this over to my client knowing that there is a problem? 

We have the following plugins installed...
Better iBoxes
DepthCharge Section
Formidable
Limit Login Attempts
MailChimp
No Category Parents
PageTitle PL DMS Section
Search & Replace

We haven't had this problem with any of our other sites. The site is hosted on GoDaddy (client's account), which is the only difference I can see.

Simon    247
Simon
Just a suggestion, but have you tried editing the customcss in the wp-admin area?

Just wondering if there is a an ajax timeout while godaddy shovels more coal into the database server as you click save.

seanocaside21+    10
seanocaside21

Danny I think my issues are different to the ones mentioned above so i'm going to leave this conversation.

If i have any further issues i will start a separate thread.

Cheers,

Sean. 

dreamsight+    8
dreamsight

Just a suggestion, but have you tried editing the custom css in the wp-admin area?

It happened yesterday while working on sidebar section and textboxes

Stephen    3
Stephen

Hi Guys, 

I've started over with a fresh version DMS 1.1.4, the corporation theme 1.0 and bypassing my host by developing strictly on my laptop using DesktopServer v3.6.1. I've cleaned out all unnecessary plugins - see plug-in list below.  

DMS seems to ok for a while, then maybe an hour goes by and I'll do something, and it can be anything I do all the time like cut and paste some text, edit something in the DSS/Less panel, change a setting in the menu, then DMS undos or deletes the same things. I've done it so many times I've now got these and their settings memorized. I'll then try to put it back together, and half way through it undoes everything again.

This a list of the items that will come undone or delete 

• deletes the menu from the header
  • changes the layout mode from percentage to pixel
  • undoes the favicon imaged, login and mobile images
  • undos the typography settings back to their default settings
  • deletes all CSS and LESS changes in the CSS/Less panel
  • deselected the 'enable bug tracking' selection

With this attempt I've noticed that DMS no longer allows me to save templates.

I've got a deadline and need to launch this site this weekend and I'm in this to deep and can't change to a different platform. I need help and options that will enable me to launch this project on time.

Please, Please, Please, help me get this resolved so I can launch this site in 48 hours. 

------

This is what I'm working with:

http://stephenjgaines.imgur.com

List of plug-ins

http://www.stephenjgaines.com/?p=7839

DMS, Theme versions

http://www.stephenjgaines.com/?p=7840

http://www.stephenjgaines.com/?p=7841

Debug Enabled? 

http://www.stephenjgaines.com/?p=7842

http://www.stephenjgaines.com/?p=7844

http://www.stephenjgaines.com/?p=7843

------

Question: Can I downgrade DMS to the last version?