Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark & Phil

Columns inside of columns?

Mark & Phil

Is it possible to place a column inside of another column? We've been trying and it seems to break the layout.

Danny

Hi,

Columns can not go inside columns, not sure why you would that ?

You can create multiple columns and then place your sections inside those columns and reduce the width of the sections to have your sections side by side in a two column layout.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Mark & Phil

Danny The capability for columns inside columns makes sense for instances like this. We're talking about using a Button Section here but really its more about being able to use any sections together in a column inside a parent column. For building advanced layouts, this seems essential.

Screen-Shot-2014-01-03-at-9.25.46-AM.png

James B

In that layout couldn't you add a section area for the main container via the drag and drop, then insert a two column layout into that with the image in the left hand column and the text box and button section in the right hand column. 

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

Kedmyster

Hey,

I'm with Mark & Phil on this one, allowing to nest a column inside a column is a must feature for complex layouts.

I'm using DMS2 and trying to accomplish the attached example - I don't see any other option than nesting columns inside of columns (columns are in red).

[attachment=2226:example.png]

(I can, of course, get the same result in any number of ways using HTML code inside TextBox/MediaBox but I'm trying to avoid it so the client will be able to modify the site without the need to understand any HTML code).

Please, take this into account.

GetMeWebDesign

Kedmyster That is achieved by reducing the section widths within a column area. To achieve your template:

1. Add a canvas
  2. Add a two column layout to the canvas
  3. adjust your columns to the widths you require, lets use 1st column 3/12 and second 9/12
  4. To the second column add a textbox for the title (though I personally think the columns standard title might be sufficient... see image)
  5. Add a second text box, below (4) and reduce its width to 6/12
  6. Add a quickslider below (5) and reduce its width to 6/12
  7. Add a ibox below (6) and reduce its width to 6/12
  8. Add a textbox below (7)

You now have this

http://screencast.com/t/5ocesANzlI9

Alternatively, you could have a three column layout, but that will cause a slight issue with wanting your title to span two of the columns and the two column width for the bottom textbox

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!

Kedmyster

Hey,

Thanks for your response.

I tried that of course, but this has one flaw - if the images within the slider are larger than the textbox height, the ibox section will be moved down and there'll be a margin between the textbox and the ibox.

Eventually, what I did is to place the slider in an absolute position but of course, that's not a very good solution...

So yeah, I still think nesting columns is a very good idea :)