Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paul_t

Theme Qs

paul_t

This is my first few days with DMS - so forgive the dumb questions

Does every theme you create using DMS require the client (or yourself) to pay a subscription?

i.e. Can you create a theme independent of ongoing subscription ?

From what I can see - if you create a child theme is uses the parent themes DMS content areas unless you copy the original content areas to the child theme for customised. But the child theme still looks to the parent DMS install for everything else and hence , do we assume it remains a subscription install.

If you create a child theme of the free edition with sections from the subscription edition - does that turn the install into a subscription only theme?,

or go against the license agreement?. 

Would be nice to have a clear explanation of what you can and can't do 

tia

Danny

Hi,

You can create a child theme regardless of whether the client will have an active sub or not. However, if the client doesn't have an active sub, they will not be able to use any of the Pro sections or Pro features. So if you create a child theme with the intent that the child theme has specific styling or functionality for lets say the pro section Flipper, the client if he/she doesn't have an active subscription they will not be able to use the Flipper section, it will simply state that Flipper is a Pro section.

However, there has been discussions in the developer community regarding the ability for users of the dev license to create sub licenses for their clients. This is something that is being looked into as far as I am aware.

Please search our forums, before posting!

paul_t

Thanks for feedback.

So, bottom line,  the only way you can create a freely distributable theme with DMS is to use the free version and add any extra functionality/sections yourself.

OK - Just playing devils advocate - I'm trying to see were having a section locked out is of any use. If the client can never access it what would be the point in having something you can't edit?

Danny

You can create a freely distributable theme for either the free or pro version similar, it makes really no difference. The only drawback is, like I mentioned above, if you offer specific styling to a pro only section, users of the free version wont be able to take advantage of it.

OK - Just playing devils advocate - I'm trying to see were having a section locked out is of any use. 

Because users of the free version can see the difference between the free and pro version such as what sections are available in the Pro version. Nearly all themes that provide a free/lite and pro version do this, this isn't something specific to DMS.

If the client can never access it what would be the point in having something you can't edit?

They can access the sections, they just need an active subscription.

Please search our forums, before posting!