Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CWWOrks

Serious Cross Browser Compatibility Issues

CWWOrks

Hello,

Having some serious issues with how my website is showing up in Internet Explorer... not even close to properly formatted.

Seems to work fine in all other browsers I've tried, but no luck with IE.

Anything I can do to remedy this?  Here are the details:

Website URL: http://www.patchesonmypack.com/

Cheers,

Carney

greenfly

Hello @CWWOrks 

Different Browsers handle code in different ways. Some browsers do not support some elements of CSS and can therefore display some parts of sites in different ways and some style might not show up at all. Also some browsers do not support some elements of JS. 

Internet Explorer does not support quite a few elements of CSS3 - Microsoft themselves have broken this down for you here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh781508(v=vs.85).aspx

In order to make sure your site displays correctly in Internet Explorer you may need to add extra CSS specifically targeting Internet Explorer. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

CWWOrks
Thanks Martin,

As the DMS took care of all the layout and styling for me (with some minor custom CSS added), does this mean that any site I create with the DMS will have to be extensively custom coded just so that it's available in IE?

If that's the case the DMS doesn't do much in terms of saving time.. Or very helpful for those that aren't fully proficient at web development. Which is a bit disappointing!

If you have a Chance to view my site in IE, you'll note it's a complete jumbled mess.

Is hiring someone to reformat my page to be IE friendly my only option?!

Thanks again,
Carney

jmad

I've done a few site now in DMS and haven't had but a few compatibility issues that were fairly easily resolved.  Do you have Enable CSS Classes turned on in Pro Tools?  That could help.  Gradients and border radius might take some customizing.  There are several good CSS generators available on the web and I find them helpful in saving time.

wren

I'm having the same IE problem with my background image not displaying. It was suggested to me that Pagelines is employing Bootstrap and that the IE problem is stemming from Bootstrap. All other browsers work fine on both the Mac and PC, only IE running on a PC tanks my home page completely. 

As was suggested to me, I reported this problem as a bug in Github.

Danny

What version of IE are you having issues with ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

CWWOrks

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I've enabled css classes, but still no luck.

I've added a link to some screenshots in IE 7.0.5730.11

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q8yjsovw36knada/ZYcG7gz3WL

As can be seen, the menu doesn't show up at all.  And all the widgets are crushed down in the bottom with no real formatting.

Any other suggestions?!   Alot of people are going to be accessing this on IE 7 (government workers who aren't able to upgrade!), so would really like this sorted out.

jmad

Hmmm.  Did you try clearing your cache through WP?  Not saying this will solve the problem but you might start there. 

CWWOrks
I don't have any caching plugins on Wordpress, so not sure there is a cache to clear is there?

I am running jetpack, but that only caches images doesn't it?

Danny

Unfortunately, we do not support for Internet Explorer 7, the browser is 7 years old. We support IE8 and above, with IE8 receiving minimum support.

You can see our requirements here - http://docs.pagelines.com/getting-started/system-requirements

You will also likely find that most newly released themes, frameworks etc.. will not support IE7 too.

Please search our forums, before posting!

fliptheu

TBH, it's amazing you guys support any version of IE at all!

fliptheu

"Finding beauty one picture and one pixel at a time."

http://www.fliptheu.com

barkingsheltie

Maybe Pagelines could create a script, that upon detecting browsers that are not compatible, would either issue warning, and/or direct to a compatible landing page?

Or a developer could create this. Seems like it would be of benefit for a lot of folks. 

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool"
Richard P. Feynman

CWWOrks

Thanks for the info guys, I can understand that the older versions aren't supported.

I agree with barkingsheltie, would be nice if someone could direct us towards a script like the one mentioned.  I'm sure there must be something out there no?

Thanks again!

James B

Hi all, there's a plugin which you can install which will detect the browser and offer advice in a modal that they may experience problems viewing the site on an older browser, check out - http://wordpress.org/plugins/advanced-browser-check/

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B