Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xtrme

Template changes not applying to the pages assingned to it

xtrme

I have created several templates and assigned them to pages.  Then I updated the template to a new configuration based on an updated page with that template assigned and got the message that the changes would be applied to all of the pages with that template assigned... but that's not happening... in fact, it's stripping the template from some of the pages altogether.

Here's a link to the site.  The pages I have been trying to assign/change templates is "Field Diaries/Harambee"

http://www.cescan.dreamhosters.com/harambee-report/

greenfly

Hello xtrme 

Thank you for the link - could you also enable Debug for us in the DMS visual Editor > Settings > Advanced please? 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

xtrme

Ok, Debug has been enabled.

greenfly

OK thanks - i have taken a look at the debug but cannot see anything immediately evident that might be causing a problem. 

Could you possible also create and Admin level account for your Wordpress site and send the credentials (along with a link tot heis forum topic) to hello @ pagelines dot com and i will jump on and take a look for you. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

xtrme

Haven't heard back after supplying the admin info... any news?

jeleanor

Hi, I'm having the same problem.

Erwan

Hi xtrme,

cc jeleanor"] @[member="Martin Davies

1. On initial examination, it seems to me that the problems you encounter are simply related to a DMS bug (or missing feature, depending on perspective). For the time being (i.e.  DMS 1.2 or 1.3 release will most likely deal with this bug/missing feature), when you update a template with a new current page configuration, consider the "All pages using this template will be updated with the new config as well" pop-up message as a false/misleading assertion, period. You actually have to reload the updated template on all relevant pages, one after another: a bit cumbersome indeed, but it does work (I should say most of the times, depending on the "content" of the template, but it's another matter). With this in mind, I doubt your assertion "it's stripping the template from some of the pages altogether" is relevant, or I miss the point. 
In order to facilitate/secure this process, I recommend to use one of these free plugins showing on your frontend the template assigned to a page:

• it's one of the "hidden" features of DMS Professional Tools by PageLines/Simon_P (shows last loaded template name in WP adminbar);
  • it's one of the features of PageLines DMS Tell Me Type Template by Clifford P (shows which "page type" i.e. page/blog/404/single post/etc. and applied template is detected).

2. FYI, this issue is widely discussed:

--> in this DMS forum, e.g.:

--> in the DMS issue tracker, e.g:

Hope it will help, do not hesitate to come back to me if it's unclear!

xtrme

Well, that's not just a minor bug.  The site I'm working on has well over 100 pages so that means every time I make a minor change to a template, I have to update each page assigned to it, one by one!  Stone knives and Bear skins!  I think I'll just bale on DMS... maybe try again if they can get the thing working.

Erwan

xtrme

[Disclaimer: I do not belong to/speak on behalf of PageLines]

Where did I write it was a minor bug? It is one of the most important issues with DMS: if you took time to read my answer & the links I took time to select for you, you probably saw that PageLines is fully aware of it and works on it. Did you?

Regards.

xtrme

Hey Erwin,

Didn't mean to offend you.  Yes, I read your answer.  I also downloaded the plugin to show which template was loaded for each page... it showed me that the same template was loaded for pages that were displaying completely different sections depending upon when I made changes to that particular template... what a mess!  No, I didn't take the time to read all the forum threads confirming what you already told me.  DMS doesn't work and shouldn't have been released until the major bugs were fixed.

Thanks for your help and sorry if you took my frustration personally.

Keith

Danny

HI Keith,

This bug/issue is well known to our devs and has to my understanding been addressed and will most likely be included in the upcoming 1.2 patch. We apologise for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

Please search our forums, before posting!

jeleanor

I'm pleased to hear it's being addressed. It's a pretty major inconvenience as xtrme says.