Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3D Accuracy

need guidance creating new blog/website for my business

3D Accuracy

Hi Everyone,

I’m new to this forum. I have some experience using WordPress for my blog, new to DMS basic which I’ve been experimenting with for the last couple weeks and have no coding experience though I’m willing to learn. I’m not a professional blog/website creator, I only need to set up one blog/website for my business. Once I accomplish that, besides writing articles for my blog I’ll only make minor changes/additions occasionally.

I like what I see with DMS basic so far but I not sure if it’s capable of doing some of the things I’d like to do with my templates. I’ve managed to figure out a few things such as how to get my header image sized and positioned where I want it and how to get the navigation bar up against the bottom of the header image, but I need some guidance with other things that I haven’t been able to figure out how to do.

I think it would be best to start with completely customizing my front page which I will then save as a template and use/modify for other pages. I’d like to deal with it systematically one item at a time starting at the top of the page and working my way down. If there’s a better way to approach blog/website, template creation I’m open to suggestions.

So, my first question/s deals with the navigation bar. What I need is a three level “parent”, “child” and “grandchild” navigation bar which expands as needed, keeps all pages on past levels “live” and selectable, automatically moves the slider below the navigation bar down as needed so the navigation bar doesn’t expand on top of the slider. I don’t want a “drop down” navigation bar that expands when you hover over it as I don’t believe they are touch screen friendly.

You can see an example of my old website with a navigation bar that functions the way I explain above here: http://www.3d-accuracy.com/injection_mold_design.html

You can see my new blog/website front page with current navigation bar here: http://www.3d-accuracy.com/blog/

I like the appearance of the new navigation bar. I like that it has a highlight bar under the page names when you hover over it, however, I’m not stuck in concrete on this navigation bar and I’m open to suggestions for navigation bars with better functionality.

I did create a navigation menu however when I select it to work with the navigation bar it doesn’t accomplish what I need. I suspect that there is some coding necessary but I have no clue where to even start.

Any suggestions?

Here’s what I’m using:

WordPress 3.8

DMS basic

Plugins:

About Me 3000

Countdown Widget

DMS Professional Tools

Jetpack by WordPress.com (although for some reason I can’t get it to link properly)

Notification Bar

qTranslate

I’m open to eventually moving to the DMS purchase version if it will definitely do all the things I’d like. Before doing that however I’d like to have a little success with customizing in DMS basic. Having some success will tell me whether I’m capable of understanding and executing the proper coding that may need to be done. If it’s “over my head” then I may need to find another alternative.

Have a terrific weekend!

Robert

3D Accuracy

www.3d-accuracy.com

Danny

Hi Robert,

What exactly do you want in regards to your menu, as you haven't really said. How did it not accomplish what you intended when you created your own menu ?

If you wish to create a menu with drop down menus, you will need to create a Wordpress menu and then drag your child menu items to the right, see our documentation for more information - http://docs.pagelines.com/tutorials/adding-custom-menus

However, if you do this, the drop down menus will overlay the Slider, the drop down menu will not push it down.

Please search our forums, before posting!

3D Accuracy

Good morning Danny,

Thank you for your quick reply, I appreciate it.

I had already done what is mentioned in the documentation you provided, I had no problem creating a navigation menu with a "parent", "child" and "grandchild" structure. You can see in the sidebar on the new blog/website I'm creating under "Website Pages:" the menu structure I currently have: http://www.3d-accuracy.com/blog/

It's not the menu structure I'm having problems with, it's how to make it work with the navigation bar to get the results I'd like.

When I edit the navigation bar and tell it to use the menu I've created, it only works as a "drop down" either by selecting a parent or hovering over a parent depending on the option I choose. Also, I can't select and go to a parent page with the drop down. I will have information on each parent page so I'll need to be able to select and go to that page, not just use it as a "place holder" to access other pages.

I don't want a drop down navigation bar, I would like the navigation bar to expand like on my old website, you can see it here: http://www.3d-accuracy.com/injection_mold_design.html  You can see on my old website how the navigation bar expands each time you go a level deeper.

I'd like the navigation bar to take more space and push the slider down automatically as it expands so the navigation bar is not on top of the slider.

I'd like the all parent pages P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 - P5 to show in the navigation bar on all pages and be able to go to any parent page from any page in my website upon selection.

When selecting and going to a parent page, like P4 as an example, I'd like the child pages related to that parent page, with all siblings, to show in a new row under the parent pages so you'd always see P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 - P5 on top and directly under it you'd see P4C1 - P4C2 - P4C3 - P4C4 ... etc. Then if you select a child page, like P4C3 as an example, it would take you to that page and show the "parent" row, the "child" row with all siblings and under that "child" row show the "grandchild" row with all it's siblings. Like: P4C3gc1 - P4C3gc2 - P4C3gc3 ... etc.

For a while I used the PageLines Station Theme and it's navigation bar was like that if I remember correctly except it only worked for two levels, parent and child.

I'm not "cast in concrete" with the current navigation bar. If there was a way to use the navigation bar from the Station Theme as an example and modify it to accommodate three levels that would work for me. I'm just not sure something like that can be done.

I'm also open to suggestions on other "stock" navigation bar/widgets that would work for three levels. As long as I can get the color scheme to match what I'm currently doing.

I hope I've made my question more clear, thanks again for your help.

Have a terrific day!

Robert

3D Accuracy

www.3d-accuracy.com

jmad

I'm not sure if it can be set to push the rest of the page down but UberMenu from CodeCanyon (it's a pay by site product) might do some of what you are looking for and there is a free DMS section that allows installation of UberMenu into DMS.  I don't know if you can use those tools without DMS Pro.  

Danny

If you want a similar navigation to your old site, what you would do is create a Wordpress menu with all your pages etc... and simply not have any of those menus set as a child/grandchild, meaning all menu items are parent items.

This should give you a similar effect like so (you will probably want to hide the search bar) - http://d.pr/i/aq1x

If that isn't to your taste, then you should probably check out the UberMenu plugin - http://wpmegamenu.com/

3D Accuracy

Good morning jmad and Danny,

Happy New Year to you guys!

Thank you both for the suggestion. I'll spend some time this weekend exploring UberMenu to see if they have something I like and can use.

Danny, the first suggestion you made about placing all pages on the parent level so that everything shows (I checked out the link you provided) won't work for me. It appears like it would be too confusing for users especially since I have 35 pages currently in my website.

Your suggestion did however get me to thinking. Would it be possible to create several different menu structures, say a "parent menu" for my front/home page, individual "parent/child1 through parent/child4" menus that would show all parent pages and the appropriate child pages depending on which parent page you selected and then individual menus for "parent/child/grandchild" pages? Then it would just be a matter of creating localized navigation bars on each page and selecting the appropriate navigation menu to go along with it.

The only challenge I can see in doing this is getting the pages to show in the proper row of the navigation bar if all pages are on the parent level in the menu structure. I wouldn't want a "child" page to show up in the "parent" row or a "grandchild" page to show up in the "child" row. Positioning could be tricky.

What do you think? Can this be done and is there a way to insure that the pages position in the proper row? If not then I still may need a 3 level navigation bar to get what I'd like,

OH! ... just had another thought, can I place more than one navigation bar on a page, one directly under another and then have each one call out a different navigation menu locally on each page? If so that should make it work exactly as I'd like. Front/home page would have one navigation bar, parent and child pages would have two navigation bars, parent, child and grandchild pages would have three navigation bars.

Thank you for your help guys, I appreciate it.

Have a terrific day!

Robert

3D Accuracy

www.3d-accuracy.com

3D Accuracy

Good evening Danny,

I wanted to thank you for triggering the thought process with your suggestion. The last idea I had while writing my reply this morning about using multiple navigation bars with page specific navigation menus works! I tried it this evening, you can check it on these three pages that I used for testing:

http://www.3d-accuracy.com/blog/

http://www.3d-accuracy.com/blog/3d-printed-production-parts-prototype-models/

http://www.3d-accuracy.com/blog/3d-printed-production-parts-prototype-models/3d-printing-specs-model-materials/

I need to tighten up the vertical locations on the pages with multiple navigation bars, but that will wait until later because I want to adjust other items on the front page template which will be used on other pages before I do page specific items like the navigation bars.

Thanks again for your help.

Have a terrific evening!

Robert

3D Accuracy

www.3d-accuracy.com

Danny

No problem, happy to hear you found a solution and happy new year!