Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Helmi

First steps - how to go?

Helmi

Hey all,

i'm quite new to PL/DMS and still looking around for a while. I'm quite save with how Wordpress and themes work, know basic PHP and enough of HTML/CSS.

I already read the docs and know the different customization types but i'm still unsure about the structure of the template system with DMS. What is the best way to start from scratch and layout your site? My first and most important project is a site with a documentation like set of content and a blog in second level. I think starting from scratch would be a good idea. 

I saw i can have multiple Templates in Pagelines that i can assign to pages but how for example do i create templates for certain custom post types or templates for the blog? Is there a way to do this in DMS or do i have to do it otherwise? Or in other words: Does PL reflect the default hierarchical wordpress template system (http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy).

Thanks for helping me in :)

Frank

Danny

Hi,

To create a template for a specific page such as your blog or custom post types, you simply go to that page and start editing/creating its template. Once you're happy with your layout/template design, create a template using the DMS Toolbar, save that template and then assign it to that page. Repeat the process for all your pages/post types.

There is no need to create a template in the way Wordpress recommends, DMS isn't a standard theme.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Helmi

Thanks, Danny.

ok i see, so if i create a template via the DMS toolbar when visiting a page DMS creates a page template that i can later select in the pages editor in the backend, right? And if i edit via DMS on a blog post this will automatically be the template for all blog posts, right?

Just to complete my knowledge: Is there a chance to have a by-category-template for blog posts or is this not possible with DMS?

Danny

Unfortunately, at this moment in time, you can not assign templates you have created via the DMS Toolbar in the Wordpress backend. This is a known issue and one that our developers are aware of.

You can not have individual templates for individual posts. However, you can use the Local option when configuring sections (Type and Local will be on the left hand side of the sections options), this means that if you do configure a section using the Local option, that configuration will only be visible on that post and not any users.

Type = All configurations are associated to that type i.e. if you do so on a post, then all posts will display that sections configuration.

Local = That configuration will only be associated to that post.

Specific category templates is also not currently possible, but I have reported this to our tracker and our developers are aware of the issue.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Helmi

Thanks for elaborating, Danny and thanks for being patient with me :)

So i see i can have per type and per single item templates - that should be enough for me for now and i'd still be happy if there will be a per category later. Are custom post types supported? So is this something i can have a specific template for? Would i be able to work with custom fields then too?

And as i slowly step into everything a bit: What would be the way to customize the top floating navbar more than through the options in DMS? I'd like to completely change the look a bit more than what's possible in the options.

Thanks again!

Frank