Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AndersOlsen

Insert Timeline

AndersOlsen

I want to insert a Timeline (http://timeline.knightlab.com/) a snippet of code into, perhaps, a widget
above the main content on my site but I would like if the widget could be opened and closed by the
user, on the front end... the user can click "Open Timeline" and it slides down to show the Timeline...
and clicken it again, will close the timeline... is that possible?

Thanks

Anders Olsen

Danny

Hi Anders,

Something like that wouldn't be ideal in a widget in my opinion, I think it would be better if you created your own section, you can get more information on how to create your own sections here - http://docs.pagelines.com/developer/section-api

Please search our forums, before posting!

AndersOlsen

Hi Danny

Thanks for your reply... I have no experience with creating sections, thats why I thought a widget would do it... is it hard to create such a section...?

James B

Hi there, if you're not used to coding then it could be tricky to create a custom section from scratch. If you have the timeline code as a shortcode you could place it inside something like an accordion section which the user can collapse on the front end. There's a shortcode version of the accordion built into bootstrap, the code for it can be seen on http://demo.pagelines.me/tools/

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

AndersOlsen

Hi James

This is great... it looks just like the thing I could use... and so much easier to implement...

About the Timeline (short)code... I'm not sure if it is an actual shortcode... it is a nittle piece of code and it should be easy to implement in an accordion like this.

Should I understand it like this, that the accordion function/option is build into the Pageline theme? I'm not quite sure how I do this... Do I insert the Timeline code into the accordion script, somewhere inside the theme, and then place the accordion shortcode inside the WP code.... or...? is there any documentation for that?

Thanks

Anders

Danny

Anders, I honestly don't think you will be able to achieve this without some kind of coding knowledge, although the code from the looks of it is a simple iframe, it may cause some issues. That is why I recommended creating a section.

If you're not comfortable with creating sections by yourself, you can hire one of the pros from our resources page - http://docs.pagelines.com/resources

Please search our forums, before posting!

AndersOlsen

Hi Danny

It's difficult for me to evaluate what the best move would be.... all I can say, is that it really have work very well, and must be easy for me to manage... I don't mind having some of the Pro's to help me out... any idea on to what it could cost to make this...?

/Anders

James B

Hi Anders, each of the pros will have their own pricing structure and terms. I'd take a guess and say it will cost at least a couple of hundred dollars or more. If you're looking for something easy to manage and 100% compatible then it would be best to get a section created where you could just fill in the fields, drag and drop and it generates the content rather than having to copy/paste/edit code into site.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B