Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sheilahoff

Loading speed

sheilahoff

I have several DMS sites out there and so far none of my clients have mentioned speed as an issue. But that may be more the kind of clients that I work with than anything else. I have a new site still in development at http://www.tca.hoffmangraphics.com and the client is already complaining about the speed.

Here's what I've told him:

We’ll turn on a caching plug-in when it’s live. We cannot use it while in development. I can also ask our host if they can let us put this on the east coast server although I’m not sure we can split up my clients that way. There are a lot of ways to address speed but it’s usually not productive to do so during development.

I'm wondering if you think the site has speed issues that I can address and what you'd do about them? Running WP3.8 and newest DMS. It does use a lot of plug-ins such as a calendar and classified as well as the homepage slider.

Thanks,

Sheila

Sheila Hoffman | Hoffman Graphics | Seattle

Danny

Hi,

The site certainly has some speed/loading issue. However, this isn't related to DMS, its a host problem. I have just this moment completed a reverse IP check on your domain and there appears to be only 8 other domains on that server. Therefore, its an issue with the server configuration from what I can tell.

Caching plugins etc... should only be enabled upon the completion of the sites design/layout and not active during development like you informed them. However, the site should be loading quicker than it is. So you will want to contact your host and ask them for assistance.

Imo, you should probably try FlyWheel, then have an awesome system in place for developing client websites and then handing it over to them. 

Please search our forums, before posting!

sheilahoff

Thanks Danny. I just switched hosts recently and host all my clients (about 50) on my VPS server which is located on the west coast of US. This particular client is on the east coast. I emailed my host and they agreed they could help. Here's what they've suggested:

we can speed your VPS up as an alternative. I took a look and saw that you're currently using the default PHP handler, suPHP. SuPHP is slower to execute than DSO/RUID2 or FastCGI and does not support opcode caching such as APC.  We recommend that you have DSO+RUID2 installed if either of these options, unless you or someone able to assist you has specific knowledge of FastCGI.  Also, the change would affect your whole server, and you would no longer be able to use individual php.ini files. Switching to DSO is for the most part a seamless change over, as we would need to recompile Apache which will cause some brief downtime, this normally only takes a couple of minutes.   As far as WP is concerned it should work normally on DSO without any issue and you should not need to change any of your files.

This was 3 separate emails in response to my questions/concerns about making the switch.

I'm familiar with Flywheel as well as WPEngine. However as i mentioned I just switched servers after a lot of research and I host all my clients, some of whom are not in WP. I make a nice residual income from my hosting as it includes WP and plug-in updates, offsite backups, etc. So I'm not in a place to be moving again for at least a year. If the cross country thing turns out to be an issue I might put this one client on a different server.

A geek friend wrote me in response to this same question and offered this:

It's a well optimized site, just a heavy one. I'm getting a load time of 9+ seconds. There's a few other things I might recommend as well: 

1) Minify your CSS and JS resources.

2) Combine your JS resources.

3) Use a CDN like Cloudflare.

4) Specify your Expires Headers (which you probably do after production).

I don't know what any of it even mean except #3 which I'm not prepared to do at this time. Are any of these other suggestions things I can do in DMS?

Thanks. Hope you had a nice holiday.

Danny

I doubt the location has a major impact in my opinion. If you have a VPS your site should be loading quickly regardless of whether you use a CDN, minify CSS/JavaScript. I have a VPS with Linode which is located in Texas (I think) and my test site loads virtually instantly (I'm in the UK) without any third party plugins, cache enabled, minified CSS/JS or the use of a CDN.

Also, I wouldn't use Cloudflare, I would recommend MaxCDN for your CDN needs.

sheilahoff

Good to know. Do you agree with them that switching my php handler to DSO/RUID2 will be a safe move and will  greatly speed things up?

Danny

I have no idea in regards server configuration therefore, I would like to say. simon is the server configuration expert.