Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frederic

what codes can we safely insert in text box?

Frederic

Hi there!

I tend to work a lot with text boxes and would like to know what can safely go in.

1. So far i have used shortcodes and HTML formattings from WP editor including <a> and links and it seems to work ok.

2. And what about this link to Mailchimps registration?

<!-- Begin MailChimp Signup Form -->     

<form action="http://selfawarenessforchange.us5.list-manage.com/subscribe/post?u=89835a2ffe5dd0ea7d23deafe&amp;id=deda5888ac" method="post" id="mc-embedded-subscribe-form" name="mc-embedded-subscribe-form" class="validate form-inline formbottomright" target="_blank" novalidate>          

<p class="lead">Subscribe to our mailing list</p>          

<input type="text" value="" name="NAME" class="input required" id="mce-NAME" placeholder="Name" /> <input type="email" value="" name="EMAIL" class="input required email" id="mce-EMAIL" placeholder="Email" /> <input type="submit" value="Subscribe" name="subscribe" id="mc-embedded-subscribe" class="button btn">

<!--         

<div id="mce-responses" class="clear">             

<div class="response" id="mce-error-response" style="display:none"></div>             

<div class="response" id="mce-success-response" style="display:none"></div>              

</div>

-->          

</form>

Is it safe to include this in a text box? 

If yes, is there a limit to the number of such boxes we can have sitewide?

3. Are there counter indications to using text boxes to display parts of content text? I explain: it is easier to work on front end of the site rather that in WP editor and I have templates that use several sections:

1. beginning of post with postloop,

2. one or two sections

3. follow up of post in a text box with text formatted to match the style in postloop

etc

Is it ok or may create issues?

Thanks i anticipation

Danny

HI,

1. TextBoxes as the name suggests should really house only plain text. If you want to use basic shortcodes such as the PageLines ones for buttons or HTML for things like videos etc.. then you should use the MediaBox. None of these sections supports the addition of JavaScript. Therefore, if you wish to use Javascript or shortcodes for things like sliders, then you should use hooks.

2. Things like the MailChimp code should be OK in the HTML area of the MediaBox section, if it doesn't work, then you will probably want to use a hook. There isn't as far as I am aware a limit to how many sections you can have per page or even site wide.

3. Not entirely sure what you mean, do you mean having sections inside sections. Such as the Beginning of the PostLoop section, then a TextBox section then the rest of the Post Loop section ?

If that is what you're referring to, then unfortunately, this isn't possible. You can not add sections within one another.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Frederic

Many thanks for those clarifications Danny. 

I will use the media box then.

My main question was to know if it is ok to use simple formating like those in text boxes?

<span style="font-family: georgia, palatino; font-size: 20px;"><em><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">Is it ok to use those kind of formatings in text boxes?</span></strong></em></span>

I assume - and hope - it is what you mean by 'plain text'

All best wishes for the new year!

Mark & Phil

Frederic We made a custom HTML Section Box. Basically it stripped out all of the unnecessary styles (padding, margins, etc) and gave us the ability to add straight up text or html code. We also installed a wordpress plugin to run php through shortcodes so it then gave us the ability to run any PHP through that HTML Section Box.

Frederic

Hi Mark & Phil,

Thanks for your contribution. I am too novice to really understand custom section boxes ... wish i could but i am not there yet ...

I didn't get an answer from the forum on my question re inserting tags like <span><b><em><br> in text boxes.

I assume it is ok but would love a confirmation as i have had a number of problems because of having inserted codes in text boxes !

Many thanks for your reply and sorry i cannot do much with it ... :-(

Danny

If you wish to insert HTML onto your page, then like I mentioned above you should use the MediaBox. The TextBox section is called TextBox because its supposed to house text only, not HTML not shortcodes and definitely not JavaScript.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Frederic

Hey Mark & Phil,

I spent the afternoon working with boxes and css and ... had second thoughts about what you shared.

Could you give me some guidance on how to make custom text boxes and, (it is probably the same process) custom media boxes?

If you have the time of course !