Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bhmedia

Can't call Custom CSS/LESS all of a sudden.

bhmedia

Anybody else experiencing this or know how to solve it?

So I basically have some custom CSS colors defined: 

/* dark purple background, used in sidebar */

.dark-purple-area {
  background-color: #e1cde3;
}

/* orange area, used on homepage */

.orange-area {
  background-color: #ea822f;
}

I then go to the specific section and in the style classes, I call the orange-area. Nothing happens...

If I call a color I added a few weeks ago, i.e. dark-purple-area, it works fine. It's like it won't take any new coding...the code is saving, because it's also appearing in the dashboard backend as well. So basically, can't get orange color to take by any sections...but it will take existing colors that I added a while ago. 

Any ideas?

greenfly

Hello bhmedia

Could we have a link to the site where you are trying this please? 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

James B

Does the color class stay in the styling class field once saved/published? If it does try going to settings>resets>flush css/less then refresh to see if it comes through.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

bhmedia
Yes, the color class does stay in the styling class field. I tried flushing, but that didn't work either. This is really perplexing for some reason. I can apply an existing color class without issue, but nothing new.

James B

Please create an admin level user on your site for PageLines and email the login details along with a link to this post (so we can tie the two together) to hello at pagelines.com. We'll log in and take a look for you and see what we can find.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

bhmedia

I sent the info earlier this morning. Thanks

James B

Hi there, ok logged in and took a look.

Looks like you copy/pasted some of the social icons css from one of the tutorials in the docs, unfortunately you missed off a closing bracket so this was throwing the whole thing out. I've repasted in the full code and then the original colors come back, added a new class for a bright yellow to test and placed that code at the bottom of the css. Then put in the styling class field for the main template area and all seems to be working good now.

I've left the yellow active on the site so you can see the new color coming through from the class.

James B

bhmedia

hmmm...ok so that created a new issue...

I couldn't get rid of the yellow or the orange. I deleted the property in their respective style classes and that didn't get rid of the color. The only way I could get rid of the yellow was by deleting it from the css editor -- removing it from the sections's style class did nothing. 

I've left the orange up there for you to see as well. There's no mention of it in the style class, yet it's still on.

I could just be really slow tonight too...but it doesn't seem right. 

James B

That is strange, I've tried replicating on my site but when I remove the class from the section options it clears. Who are you hosted with? Do they have any form of caching?

I did notice if I make up a new class and put that it then it clears it, but as soon as it's removed the orange comes back again. Very odd, I will speak with the developer team to see if they can shed some light on what's happening and come back to you.

James B

bhmedia
Thanks...this is driving me nuts.

I'm hosted with Host Gator and they do not run any caching.

bhmedia

And we're back to my old thread on the page deleting. 

All I did was log in, change the orange to white (as a way to circumvent the issue for now) and my entire home page wiped out. 

I followed the procedure...made the change...allowed it to save...performed a refresh...and poof.. 90% of my work gone. 

greenfly

I have updated the other thread. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

bhmedia

Has there been any developments with the CSS issue? As of now, the only way to get sections to not use the random orange color is by physically assigning it to a white style. Leaving the style box blank, results in the section turning orange. 

Danny

This doesn't require any development, you have W3 Total cache active, as well as minified CSS files, flush the cache on W3 Total cache and then disable both the minify plugin and W3 Total cache. This is most definitely the cause of your issue.

Also, cache plugins and minify CSS/JS file plugins should never be active whilst you're still designing your site, as issues like you have encountered happen. Cache plugins, minify plugins should only be active when your sites design has been completed.

Please search our forums, before posting!

bhmedia
I just installed W3 at like 3pm yesterday -- once I completed the majority of the site design.

This problem has been occurring for the past two weeks, prior to any of that being installed.

At a certain point my business must go on. I can't sit around waiting for replies that take 1-2 days. There are bugs with DMS and other forum users are having the same issues.

Danny

We can not provide support when a user has a minify or cache plugin active, please disable all active plugins except for DMS Pro Tools and see if this resolves your issue. If it doesn't please review your custom CSS as you most likely have invalid CSS or errors in your CSS which is preventing from loading.

If that doesn't work, please reply here and we can check your site again.

Please search our forums, before posting!