Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Olsson

Loop from a specific category

John Olsson+    8
John Olsson

Can I fetch post in a loop from a specific category, somehow?

greenfly    230
greenfly

The perfect way to do this is with a section like Filtering available on the PageLines Marketplace http://www.pagelines.com/shop/sections/filtering/

Filtering allows you to filter your posts or custom post types by categories, tags or custom taxonomy terms

There may also be 3rd party plugins available on the Wordpress Repository here http://wordpress.org/plugins/

• Like 1

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

John Olsson+    8
John Olsson

AH, looks really nice, and it works fine to just have an regular loop, like a "blog" or so..? Without the fancy "filtering-gallery" as shown in the demo..

James B    436
James B

Hi there,

If you want to create a page of posts on one particular category you can select the category in a custom menu and add the item to the nav. This will create a dynamic category page that will pull the posts into the postloop based on the category you select.

See http://en.support.wordpress.com/menus/ for more information on setting up a custom menu.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

John Olsson+    8
John Olsson

Hi James, Yep, that i know of course.. But in my case right now i'll need one category for the first page, and on another page i'll need 2 loops with different setting.. :)

John Olsson+    8
John Olsson

Trying again here:

On the Demo, there’s a fancy sortable filtering-function, very neat, but i’m looking for a simpler thing and I suppose the plugin can do it, but I want to make sure it does. I’ll just want a regular loop, like a list-view from top to bottom where the posts are selected on my choices of category & tags, etc, plain simple from the up and down. Is it possible? :)

(And i know I can make it little bit in the menu by directing to a category, but in my case i'll want the latest/featured post from one category on my homepage, and on another page, the remaining..

James B    436
James B

Hi there, I've copied in ellenmva who is the author of Filtering who'll be able to advise further if those features are available.

• Like 1

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

• Similar Content

• Timothy
      By Timothy+
      Question! Does anyone know how to display a full post rather than the excerpt on the posts page? Normally I can replace 'the_excerpt' with 'the_content' on the page template, but i'm not finding that in the Framework templates...
      Thoughts?
    • micstepl
      By micstepl+
      When inserting a LOOP-Section within a WORDPRESS-Section (Pagelines Framework Content) >>> Images (loops_media) do not show. 
      (same section outside, works well)
    • micstepl
      By micstepl+
      how to make (easy) a post Navigation: previous / next
    • robertgourley
      By robertgourley+
      Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way.  I was hoping to create a template, then call the posts/page feature image as a hook/shortcode to display that above the rest of the page loop.
      What I'm specifically trying to do is have a full-width featured image, then a container with the post loop and side bar below. But I want the full-width image to be dynamically pulled from whatever post/page is using the template.
    • eusebius
      By eusebius+
      Hello,
      I recently added a function that allowed me to use the same tag taxonomy for both posts and pages. Thank God, it is working well.
      Now, I want to modify the standard post loop in the WP Loop section to show both of those post types whenever I navigate to the archive of one of those tags. After researching a bit, I found what I believe is the right code from the Codex and have tried to include it in section.php of my overridden section, but it doesn't seem to work. Here is what I have beginning from about Line 156:
      /* * Standard loop. */ // The Query function standard_loop() { $args = array('post_type' => array( 'post', 'page' )); $query = new WP_Query( $args ); if( $query->have_posts() ) while ( $query->have_posts() ) : the_post(); the_content(); endwhile; } function loop(){ $count = 0; global $plpg; if( have_posts() ) while ( have_posts() ) : the_post(); $count++; $format = get_post_format(); What am I doing wrong?
      Thanks in advance.