Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sheilahoff

PagelinesPro Allowed Memory Size test failure

sheilahoff

When I run the memory test in PagelinesPro I get this error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 204472321 bytes) in /home/hoffman/public_html/wp-content/plugins/dms-plugin-pro/libs/class.memtest.php on line 18 Ram test Results: 259145Kb or approx 253Mb

When I first asked my host about this I was sent to these two links.

o   http://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/website/php-troubleshooting/allowed-memory-size-exausted

o   http://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/website/php/recursive-php-ini

Below is what I've done based on the links. I'm still getting the error. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, putting it in the wrong place, need to allocate even more or what. Could this be because I have several subdomains running WordPress under hoffmangraphics.com? They are development sites that will eventually move out and be their own unique sites. I had this setup this way on my old server. I never ran the memory test before. I ran it because I was troubleshooting the white screen of death which I have since resolved (see below).

I updated the php.ini and htaccess files and still get this error on the memory test:

php.ini:

max_execution_time = 30

max_input_time = 60

memory_limit = 512M

Then I also tried the memory_limit=1024M which also didn’t work.

Here’s my .htaccess file…

# compress text, HTML, JavaScript, CSS, and XML AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/plain AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/xml AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xml AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xhtml+xml AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/rss+xml AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/javascript AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-javascript

# remove browser bugs

BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html Header append Vary User-Agent

# BEGIN WordPress

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /

RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

</IfModule>

# END WordPress

suPHP_ConfigPath /home/hoffman/public_html

I'm running WP3.7.1 and DMS v1.1.4 with a long list of plug-ins. If you REALLY need to know what all I have here's a screen capture that lists them all: http://awesomescreenshot.com/07022biv89. I actually deactivated them all to troubleshoot the white screen of death which was a PITA. Turned out my host needed to deactivate the WordPress Mod Security rule for my VPS server. So at least that's fixed, thanks to a forum thread that pointed me in that direction.

Sheila Hoffman | Hoffman Graphics | Seattle

Simon

When I run the memory test in PagelinesPro I get this error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 204472321 bytes) in /home/hoffman/public_html/wp-content/plugins/dms-plugin-pro/libs/class.memtest.php on line 18 Ram test Results: 259145Kb or approx 253Mb

Thats exactly what the test is designed to do, it tests for the maximum. In your case its 256M

sheilahoff

But it says FATAL...therefore I assume this is a problem. Is it not?

My host responded back saying:

The reason why this did not work was due to bad coding on the memory tester. If it does not work after what you have specified in your php.ini then it is allocating a very large amount of memory that is not necessary and will most likely continue forever. I would recommend contact a website developer in order to get this resolved. We do apologize for the inconvenience, although I did increase it but kept increasing, this needs to be resolved by fixing any memory leaks in the php code. I would recommend checking with forums in order to get this resolved.

So what is recommended at this point? Should I just ignore the fatal message and carry on?

Sheila Hoffman | Hoffman Graphics | Seattle

Simon

The point of that test is to gradually load php with an increasing variable size until it fails and then it prints out the amount of ram used before it fails.

The reason we added this test is a lot of shady shared hosts say you have x amount of ram, but in reality they use other means to cap it at a low level. This test reveals your true amount of ram allocated to php.

Forcing it into an error is the way it is tested.