Sign in to follow this  
michdawson

Fixing Custom Post Type Page - EcoPro

michdawson

Using the EcoPro theme, I created a custom post type "tips" and a template called "Page of Tips". I then put the following code in my _template.php file to display the tips:

<?php if(is_page_template('page-tips.php')): // is a Tips page ?>
	<?php query_posts('post_type=tips') ?>
	<?php endif;  ?>

This is what I get: http://sustainablelafayette.org/?page_id=1260 The "next page" and "previous page" options are broken (it reloads the page) and I'm not able to format that page given the implementation. Is there something I should be adding to my _loop.php page? Thanks in advance

cmunns

You may have to add a conditional for the previous and next links for that post type. I'm curious why not use a category for "tips"?

michdawson

Thanks Adam. I'm using categories for managing the categories or type of stories I'm posting. I didn't want "tips" mixed with those when I do tag clouds or show the thumbnail feature bar at top of those story pages, for example. I assumed custom post types was the best way to handle different types of content, or am I wrong? The heirarchy is like this: Stories (posts) : each category has its own page and I show one mixed page of most recent stories. - Residential - category - Business - category - Schools - category - etc Tips (custom post type shown on other pages) : show 1 page only, not mixed with story posts. News (custom post type) : show 1 page only, not mixed with story posts. You can see how it's started on the site mentioned above. Do you recommend scrapping custom post types & figure out way to work in posts only?

cmunns

Well custom post types are great for creating different type of layout with added meta information. For example a real estate listing where you can enter in price, location, etc as custom data. If you still only using the same/normal content and title, etc then I would just try to work it in normally using WP functions and conditionals to get what you want. But really it's up to you and what you feel comfortable doing.