Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frederic

problems saving in sections

Frederic

Hi there! I think i need your help on that one - i have done a bit of search but without success.

I have weird problems with saving in sections. 

- contents appearing in front end although nothing shows in the section's admin boxes after cloning refresh

- contents appearing in front end although they are not in the section's admin boxes because they have been deleted,

- contents playing hide and seek in front end whilst I edit the section

- occasional issues with cloning that doesn't copy settings

- all setting disappearing after some time (especially in nav bar)

- changes in footer that refuse to appear on other pages.

This is happening after I imported all settings from one site to another.

Or, could it be because I have started to use HTML code inside text boxes?

site: http://seeduni.com/?page_id=9067

This is the page where the issues are most obvious

- the four buttons on top right have been cloned and they show but there's no settings in the section's admin boxes ... (i manually copied/pasted the settings in the red and yellow buttons)

- the big yellow button below with twice 'ABOUT' - it appears like this since I removed the settings from 'text' and put them in 'title'

Frederic

So, here is the plot ...

One of the issue is that i am trying to transfer sections from one page to another using the header section that I have left empty.

On the same page, I can clone one section in the template area and move it to header area 

on publish and reload, the section appears in other pages in the header area

But when I move this section, on another page, from header area to template area, all setting in the section disappear although it still look the same on front end.

So this is one of the problem I was experiencing.

For the rest, it seems stable at the moment.

Simon

Settings for the header/footer are stored in a different place to the page template area.

The Option engine as it is was never really designed to move sections from one page to another, we never envisaged that ;)

Frederic

yes ... this is the problem with amateurs ...  :rolleyes:

So how do I do that?

I got Copy pasta but it only seems to work within the same page

Frederic

and is it ok to use text boxes with HTML?

Simon

Why are you trying to copy sections?

Can you just not copy the contents?

Yes its ok to use html, be aware though, complicated markup like forms or javascript might give you issues.

Frederic

'Content' - means ... ? Content of the section + settings or contents alone?

By copying a section, I mean a text box for ex, with all the settings. This is what I am interested in.

Copy pasta doesn;t seem to do that from page to page - unless I don;t know how to do it ...

For HTML in the text boxes, yes, I do une one form.

Is there another option to make it sit in different places of different pages?

MAny thanks for your replies!

Simon

you should consider using wordpress actions.

the dms pro plugin has an action map feature to highlight all the places you can 'hook' into. 

Frederic

Many thanks Simon.

Have enabled the action map but then ... can't see new options appearing.

Where do i need to look?

James B

Hi

Once action map is enabled it will add a tab into the wp menu bar at the top of the page. Go to the page you want to see the available hooks on, then click the button to turn on. The page will refresh with all the hook locations showing.

http://screencast.com/t/zfQd5Uwj

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

Frederic

Wah! Thanks James, wonderful!

I saw the page and it feels like a treasure box!

Can you guide me on how to use them?

James B

Hi Fredrick

The actionmap plugin will show all the hooks on the page, so select the nearest hook to where you want to insert the content and make a note of the hook name. Then you add your code using that hook, and insert into the base theme or customize plugin in the functions.php and save.

There's a hook guide here with some examples of the hook structure and more information http://docs.pagelines.com/advanced/hooks

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

Frederic

Many thanks James,

Before I try to get my head around that, can I have a quick question? Do hooks apply to specific pages or site wide?

Many thanks for your support!