Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JawDesigns

Content/PostLoop vs DMS Text Boxes and Sections

JawDesigns

Hi to all,

I was hoping that someone could please shed a little light on reasons why you would want to use the Content/PostLoop and not Text Boxes in DMS. For example a client of mine recently added some basic text information (basically an FAQ list of questions) in Wordpress using the edit page function. Using wp I could easily edit his text myself and style the page using my own classes and CSS but I am also wondering if it's best to always use a DMS Section instead like a basic Text Box whenever possible? Is there any reasons why a user might want to use the Content/PostLoop for adding basic text content themselves and not a DMS section?

The reason I ask this is because I always try and use DMS sections wherever possible (excluding plugins like woocommerce) and I'm just wondering if there's actually any benefits for adding basic text using the wordpress edit page screen (Content/PostLoop)?

Thanks,

James 

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

Danny

Hi,

For me, I would always use the Wordpress content editor for main content, for example:

Pages main content = Content/PostLoop section i.e. the Wordpress content editor.

Additional content such as small bits of text or images, that you wish to be outside of the pages content and used add addition/individual layouts to that page = TextBox, Media or iBox sections.

Please search our forums, before posting!

jmad

Danny  Is there a good short code tool that can overlay in the visual editor that will play nice with DMS?  One that could add columns, fullwidth sections, etc?  Will the shortcodes built into DMS work on the WP Editor?  Are there column shortcodes for DMS...I didn't seem them in the documentation.

Danny

The PageLines shortcodes work both in most sections and in the Wordpress content editor i.e. pages, posts and custom post types. You can find a full list of our shortcodes here - http://docs.pagelines.com/tutorials/shortcodes

In regards to your plugin question, I have no idea to be honest as I don't personally use shortcode plugins. You could try searching the Wordpress plugin repo.

jmad

Thanks.  I assume Nick's BadAss short codes would work.  I much prefer the sections to using short codes on a page/post but I can certainly see a use for them.  Would you just make columns in a post/page then using <div> as opposed to short codes.  

I know everyone has there own method just trying to figure out best practices for DMS.

soulhuntre

...a basic Text Box whenever possible? Is there any reasons why a user might want to use the Content/PostLoop for adding basic text content themselves and not a DMS section?

The reason I ask this is because I always try and use DMS sections wherever possible (excluding plugins like woocommerce) and I'm just wondering if there's actually any benefits for adding basic text using the wordpress edit page screen (Content/PostLoop)?

I always use the WordPress content editor for all but the most trivial information. At the moment, if I need complex layouts within content I use Visual Composer (an awesome plugin) to enhance the WordPress content with shortcodes for columns and so on. 

Here are my reasons:

• Content re-use - Until DMS includes the ability to mirror sections across pages, there will be a lot of content within text boxes and so on is just repetitive for a non-trivial site. Using shortcodes can fix this.
  • Broken templating - the DMS templating system is, in a word, broken. I know they are working on this - but it means that all content that lives only in DMS sections is very fragile, and easily wiped out when trying to keep multiple pages consistent.
  • Versioning - WordPress content can be versioned and rolled back.
  • Export / Import - content int he WordPress editor can be included in a standard WordPress export / import.
  • Future-proofing - While there is a lot of good in DMS there are a lot of other good options for themes as well, and I want to be able to switch to them if needed without losing massive chunks of my content.
  • Instability - currently DMS is unstable for many users... changes to content is not saved, content is deleted, sections disappear etc. In my personal experience I have come to never rely on DMS to maintain my content safely... I am sure that will change as the bugs get fixed, but for now it means that I entrust as little content as possible to it. The content I DO have to put into it (in text boxes etc) I make sure I also save in a text file so I can easily rebuild it when / if a bug deletes it.

In short, currently I use DMS for broad, simple page layout and do the vast majority of the more complex layout within the Content / Post loop I use Visual Composer. THis has saved me a LOT of time when a DMS bug breaks a section or page.

Ken

-----------------------------------

Samurai Developer - WordPress and Enterprise level development in PHP, .NET and Node. 

Have a question about my services? Need help with a project? Just want to say hi? Go ahead and contact me!

JawDesigns

Hello guys,

Thanks very much for the advice on all of the above and it's certainly very appreciated. I will also check out this 'Visual Composer' plugin!

All the best, James

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

jamieg270

Hi all, lots of good points made in this thread.

I thought I'd just add my workflow to the mix.

I make use of a Custom Post Type (using the Types plugin) for common elements that might go across more than one page. Often I'll call this something like Site Components, sometimes  I'll separate out into other custom posts if it makes sense to. I'll then use a custom set of Shortcodes to place the content of those CPTs into Text boxes (or the main page content) to be placed in the layout. That way I get the best of both worlds the flexibility of DMS's sections and drag 'n' drop interface, and the security and flexibility of Wordpress's content editor.

I can also place Custom Fields I may have made for those Custom Post Types using those custom shortcodes.

I've found that to be a very flexible system. 

Cheers,

Jamie

Danny

Thanks for sharing Jamie.