Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

primaitalia

Will I lose some parts of my web site upgrading to DMS?

primaitalia

Website URL: primaitalia.no
Framework Version: Pro Plus
WordPress Version: 3.5
Plugins in Use: Numerous

Hi

Want to upgrade to DMS, but has waited because I have heavy traffic to my site and need it to be working as planned.

Tried to find out what will happen to my site if I upgrade to DMS, but can't find any really good answers.

Will my site look as before, or will it change?

Will I need to rebuild any parts of the site?

Will the site be able to run as I want if I don't upgrade to DMS?

Thanks and best regards,

Carl

Danny

Hi Carl,

Unfortunately, it depends on the sections you have used. All your posts, pages, categories, tags will remain as these are Wordpress created content. However, DMS no longer supports the deprecated sections such as Branding, BrandNav, Banners, Boxes and Features.

If you have used any of these sections, you will need to use the DMS alternatives or visit the PageLines shop for third party extensions. Also there has been some changes to the CSS classes, this is because DMS is a completely separate product to PageLines Framework.

We do have a guide on how to migrate, which you can read here - http://docs.pagelines.com/getting-started/upgrading-migration

In my opinion the best method would be for you to recreate your site using DMS, on a development site or locally hosted site. Especially if your site receives high traffic.

Please search our forums, before posting!

primaitalia

Hi Danny

Thanks for feedback.

I use a serious amount of boxes and features, so at the moment I would like to keep the page lines framework as it is. 

Do you know if I will be able to use the framework for a longer period, or if i will be forced to use the dms cause of i.e a shut down the pagelines framework?

BR,

Carl

Danny

PageLines Framework will receive maintenance updates so that it works with the latest version of Wordpress and bug fixes, so you can continue to use PageLines Framework if you like. It is now Open Source meaning that people are free to fork it to create their own product or contribute by adding their own code.

However, PageLines Framework is now considered legacy and will not receive new features.

primaitalia

Thanks a lot for info. Have a nice day!

Carl

Danny

No problem.