Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

matthewcotter

Backend Admin Extremely Slow

matthewcotter

Hi there.

Im currently in the process of porting a new site over to Pagelines and have been having some issues with the DMS & Admin backend operating extremely slowly.

When I load up the stock theme of 2013, everything fly's around rather fast, what I would expect.  However, when I reload DMS and my current theme, Flatten, I run into the speed issues again.

I've enabled debug.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Matthew Cotter.

Danny

Hi Matthew,

Can you provide a link to your site please as the one in your private profile field, isn't using DMS.

Please search our forums, before posting!

matthewcotter

Oh my.  Super sorry!

eticketstudios.com

Thanks!

M

Simon

Which bits of wp-admin are slow? DMS only has one page in the admin area.

Your frontend would speed up quite a bit if you get yourself using a CDN. That would offload about 50% of the HTTP requests.

Is it your server/VPS? 

I notice you are using PHP 5.5, very good, has minimal memory footprint, but did you setup SQL at all or are you using default config there?

matthewcotter

Simon~

When logged in as an administrator in "edit mode" when I make a change, lets say selecting a new "login page image" or a "main site logo" it takes anywhere from 45-90 sec for the page to refresh.  Or if Im on the WP Dashboard, it takes 45-90sec to navigate between different tabs... for example, clicking on themes and then clicking on "dashboard".

I set up the standard SQL, using the default settings.. Can you point me to where I should look for the ideal SQL settings/config for pagelines?  I originally started with a regular pagelines set up and even a regular Wordpress theme prior to pagelines, before DMS.... and all ran great at speeds I'd expect.  The sluggishness started when I moved over to DMS, so Im inclined to rule out the server, unless it requires specific SQL settings for DMS.

Its currently set up on a Rackspace Cloud Server.  

Thanks. 

M

Simon

Those long pauses could be 1 of 2 things, epically slow database, or bad network. 

Could be that WordPress is trying to fetch feeds or other data and it cant resolve hostnames?

Install a plugin called core-control and enable http logging, it will show you all outside connections that wp is making and whether they are getting through.

Andrew

I'll add the part of the advantage of DMS is that it has zero effect on the admin, i'd look at if a plugin is causing the issue. (or hosting potentially)

matthewcotter
Ok, installed Core-Control, have enabled the HTTP logging, however I'm not seeing any URL's appear on the http logging tab.

arpowers definitely would have assumed that as well, and perhaps I'm doing something wrong as far as enabling DMS, but I can load a regular WP theme, such as 2013 or 2102 and I don't have the admin sluggish issues.

When I install DMS or in this case Flatten as the Theme, the sluggishness starts.

The hosting is via a Private Rackspace Cloud Server, are there specific SQL, PHP or Apache settings that DMS wants to see??

Simon

There is a HTTP debugging tab there too, make sure all the protocols are working.

matthewcotter

Hey all.

Just wanted to say many thanks to you all for the help.  I just said to heck with self managing a server on rackspace and moved about 4 sites over to Digital Ocean.  That couldn't have been easier.

I appreciate the help & support I did receive here... Have a wonderful weekend.

M