Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

caspian00

DMS keeps deleting my content!

caspian00

Anyone else expereincing this issue?

It's been very frustrating, I keep building a pages and randomly I lose all my content on one of the pages. I've had to rebuilt on six or seven instances.

Also, I keep versioning my progress by exporting DMS settings, but when I import DMS the page that I lost the content on doesn't restore.

Please help.

Thanks

Danny

Hi,

We are going to need more information regarding your issue. Do you have plugins installed ? If so disable them except for DMS Pro Tools and see if this resolves your issue.

Where is your content coming from ? The Wordpress post/page content editor or from a section such as TextBox or MediaBox ?

Can you enable DMS debug mode and provide a link to your site please. DMS Debug mode can be enabled by going to DMS Toolbar > Settings > Advanced.

Please search our forums, before posting!

VRS

I have this same issue and just lost my home page content. I'm new to DMS and not a developer. Please advise is easy to follow directions to restore my page content. Thanks!

sheilahoff

I'm curious if either of you lost the page or just the content on the page? I just had a client site that's fortunately still in development lose the entire home page. I have no idea how. It's possible the client did it though she says not. The page is GONE, not in the trash, no longer in the navigation. Scary. Just wondering if what you've seen is similar or entirely different.

Sheila Hoffman | Hoffman Graphics | Seattle

cemico

Same here as stated also in this post:

http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/33397-pagelines-dms-losing-content/

This was our problem in DMS and now also in DMS2.

Just today we encountered the problem again:

- i looked at my database backup from today, 9:15 pm

- all content on my page X was there

- we edited the page, one TextBox is the only content, at about 9:30

- we pressed the edit button (pencil) on the TextBox

- we added some Text

- we saved and published

- the page reloaded

- all content from the TextBox was gone in the textarea and on the page itself. The Headline from the textbox is still there

- we did not do anything else than before. we edited 8 pages one after another. like every day. but on that one page, we edited this page before without problems, we're loosing content. again.

- i looked at the database (table "pl_data_sections" column "live"):

{"textbox_title":"OUR HEADLINE 1","textbox_title_wrap":"h3","textbox_content":"","pl_standard_title":"","pl_area_class":"","pl_standard_styles":"","pl_hide_on_page":"","textbox_pad":"","textbox_font_size":"","textbox_align":"","textbox_animation":""}

=> all content is gone ;(

Is anyone else encountering this problem? PL support said to me, that i am the only one and that this never happened before to anyone...

Danny

cemico - Can you please refrain from replying to all topics regarding this issue, I have replied three times including this one, to topics you have responded to regarding your issue.

Please create your own topic and do the following:

Provide a link to your site in question

Enable DMS debug mode - DMS Toolbar > Settings > Advanced.

cemico

Danny

i already started (not only one) topic for this issue. i also sent an e-mail (again) to the hello@ support.

in there i provided a link to the page and log in credentials.

but no one is responding.

i enabled the debug mode. but there's nothing shown in the "log" section and i can't see any additional errors.

if i really should start another topic: how should i name it? one of the topics i already set up is:

http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/33397-pagelines-dms-losing-content/

James B

cemico I've checked our inbox but the only emails we have showing from you on the address registered to your forum profile are regarding different topics. Are you contacting the desk from an alternate email account? If so please link in this forum topic so we can pass over the credentials you've sent in. 

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

cemico

James B

Hi James,

• i sent in 3 E-Mails to hello@ yesterday at 9:348PM, 9:54PM, 10:53PM (German time)
  • My e-mail adress is ageibert@cemico.de
  • The subject for the fist and second mail was "Re: My name is Andreas and I am Panicked about "General Questions"
  • The subject for the third mail was "More info for the loss of content"
  • All mails were sent to Martin Davis, because he was the one who replied to my emails before.

Unfortunately i received an email today from James Blanchett:

"Thank you for your email. In order to properly assist you, we ask that you post your question in our support forum....." aso.

James B

• I really don't want to wait any more. My customer is not panicked anymore - he's angry! (i'm not angry, i'm still and ongoing panicked)
  • I sent you/the support the link to the page with the issue.
  • I sent you/the support a detailed description about the issue.
  • I sent you/the support the login credentials for an admin account to look and test whatever you have to.
  • I dont't want to post login credentials on a public forum. If it's not possible for you to read the mails to hello@ support, then mabye i can write you a PM. But i can't find a PM button on your profile.

Please please help. As soon as possible.

Thank you very much,

Andreas

cemico

James B

erm... James... The mail i received from the hello@ support (please see above) was sent by you.

Danny

cemico - I have been given the details of your email and logged into your site and unfortunately, we are unable to assist you, until you have completed the following:

1. Updated both WordPress and DMS to the latest version.

2. You will also want to update both the PageLines Updater and DMS Pro Tools plugins.

We can not provide support to users who are using out of date products, which is what you're doing. You must always keep DMS up to date, we release updates as they contain both new features and bug fixes.

So please perform backup and then update what I suggest above.

Once you have completed this, disable all active plugins except PageLines updater and DMS Pro Tools (also make sure you have Section Cache disabled), then see if your issue persists.

cemico

Danny

This is not a new issue as you can see from various posts. 

So now i should update Wordpress and the DMS and should wait again for weeks until this happens again? Until my customer freaks out again? 

And when i'm not reachable e.g. at the weekend and the page loses content?

I can't update wordpress to 3.9. so easily by now. By now there are plugins out there and maybe used, which don't work with 3.9. If anything breaks the page is down. For hours. We have to revert and upload the backups.

I did a complete 1:1 backup of the db and ftp a couple of weeks ago. Then i opened a test site under another testdomain. I uploaded the 1:1 backup and: The homepage content was gone.

At this time i was up to date with the latest wordpress and all plugins and the DMS.

It's not reliable! 

And my customer won't find it funny if his site goes down by now.

Please think over it. The issue is present since the first day we installed DMS1 months ago and now DMS2.
We reported issues from the first day.
More people in the forums are reporting the loss of content.
We invested more than 150 hours to investigate the issue. Trying to reproduce the issues over and over again. Checking the server. Communication with the provider. Checking the error logs aso. aso.
This time is not paid by our customer.

I i cant' disable all plugins. The page is live. Hundreds of people are looking at this page a day. This is a startup company which can't afford to loose users/views/customers because of a not functional homepage.

Please please try to help me out. The issue is not because of older versions of wordpress or plugins. The issue is present from the first day on.

Danny

You shouldn't refuse to update the WordPress because plugins haven't been updated to support it. WordPress out of all things is the main things on your clients website, if they release an update, you should update. Refusing to do so, because of a few plugins, isn't good practice, you WordPress installation should take priority over plugins.

I am unable to recreate your issue whatsoever, I have tried multiple times in the last hour to recreate, which I have failed to do.

If you refuse to disable plugins, update to the latest version of DMS, then we are simply unable to assist you. As the issue could well be caused by one of your installed plugins. You also have a number of plugins our of date, in total 11 items need updating including DMS and WordPress.

For us to proceed in diagnosing your issue, we are going to need to have all plugins disabled, DMS/WordPress updated to the latest versions.

If the site is live, why is it still being worked on ?

Also, you posted a video on another topic, I think the best course of action for you would be to only post your replies here. I too made a quick video following the steps you did on your video. I was unable to recreate your issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUq08p_4UYk