Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob Thomas

Media Library Items Cannot Be Added

Rob Thomas

I've been having this problem for awhile now across installs of DMS. (which, again, I have been working with since its release and have built several sites). This is something "new" for me, but it has been happening for awhile now. The past several weeks. 

When you try to change the media for any item using the media library, and add and publish/refresh ... it will not save it. So, even if you have the file uploaded, in order to get the media item loaded, you have to re-upload the media. 

It does this across sections in DMS. This screencast documents it happening when I tried to add an image to a RevSlider section (but it has done this across sections). Re-adding the media is the workaround, but it is ridiculous. Not only is this time consuming, it adds additional unneeded files to my library. In this case, there are now three versions of the same file. 

Again, everything is up to date in DMS. 

here is the screencast:

http://www.screencast.com/t/R5dArgZPdQIO

Erwan

Hi Rob Thomas,

I can confirm the media library image selection (introduced with DMS 1.0.4) encounter the exact issue you describe for all sections concerned for about a month (i.e. since first DMS 1.1 release, notably with its new accordion style option type), including current 1.1.3 official release.

This specific issue is tracked by PageLines devs since a while, was fixed 10 days ago and should hopefully be included in next DMS release (disclaimer of responsibility ;): I do not belong to PageLines + remain cautious: other sections settings do not save correctly yet, and it might me technically related).

In the mean time:

• There's a trick which works like a charm: after selecting an image from the the library, before publishingclick on any other area(s) (section options/settings) until the saving indicator appears (and the toolbar color status button changes accordingly i.e. doesn't remain green).

• If your raring, brave and very cautious, download from GitHub the latest DMS, and copy/paste the two files editor\editor.actions.php and editor\js\pl.optpanel.js in your DMS folder: it fixes the specific media image library selection issue as far as I and other 3rd party devs tested (dozens of sections).

Hope it will help, please tell me!

Regards.

Rob Thomas

Thanks for the help, Erwan. 

This certainly beats the line that I get from Hello @ pagelines which denies that any problem exists. 

Erwan

It's a pleasure, Rob Thomas.

Hmmm... disclaimer/clarifications (cc 
 Danny B))

1. hello@pagelines.com is definitely not relevant for such support/questions IMHO (whatever you/I think about their responsiveness, but that's another matter ;)!)
  2. PageLines does not deny at all... this problem (we could discuss the speed of understanding it and addressing it, but that's another matter ;)!). Ref.:

Danny

Well the helpdesk is not there to provide support, thats why we have a technical support forum. The staff who man the helpdesk are there to answer pre-sale questions and anything related to accounts/billing.

They're not supposed to know anything in regards to technical issues, as thats not their field. So any issues with the DMS such as potential bugs or issues in how to use it and so forth, need to be addressed in the forums.

This information is available here - http://docs.pagelines.com/support-troubleshooting/getting-support

Please search our forums, before posting!

Rob Thomas

sorry I didn't clarify. 

I was not asking for technical support at hello @ pagelines, but discussing issues related to DMS not fully working, sections/extensions being purchased and not working or ever being fixed, extensions made by other developers not being eligible for "karma," and the fact that we are treated like Beta testers when we are paying 27$ a month for a subscription. And what I received in response was both denial and outright lies with regard to a section that remains on your store and has been broken for weeks on end now with no resolution from the developer. 

I suppose we are just supposed to give you our money and get nothing in return? If I was using my sites for business purposes, I would have been gone a long time ago (because it's so embarrassing when sections just suddenly break on your site, but even worse when the developer of the section refuses to do anything to fix it). 

Some of us have stuck with you for three years and now three different products. We know what to expect with re: to problems but this is becoming ridiculous and I see no reason to go on with you as it is becoming impossible to use or rely on your product. 

Danny

What section on the store is broken ?

What was the response and how was it lies ?

markland

I'm backing up Rob here.

For starters, the DMS site tour says that it can "Use all the tools and plugins supported by WordPress." Yet, every time there is an issue with DMS, a DMS rep says it must be a plug in. If plugins cause so many problems, DMS shouldn't be advertised as working with all of them.

Rob Thomas

Audio Player has been broken for weeks. He has acknowledged the problem. There has been no solution. 

James told me 5 days ago "I've checked the forum and Alex's last message was that a fix was pushed for the audio player to correct the previous issues- http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/31309-audio-player-broken/"

You can see for yourself that no fix was pushed through. You can go to my website, http://imaginethepolitical.com (bottom of the syllabus page) which has been a live website since August and see that none of the audio files play and it has been a month since it just suddenly broke. 

Nik's BA Shotcodes, which is useful and great, has had broken parts of it for just as long (those styled quotes I was trying to use on my other course website). I understand he is not in the store and this is a different issue, but that also creates issues as when you buy plugins from Nik, they do not count towards Karma. 

There is no refund and there is no recourse when this happen. And, frankly, it is not our problem as end-users to hound the developers over and over to fix their products. 

The main issue is paying 27 a month for a release of Pagelines that is more problematic (in my mind) than any of the previous releases. We had problems in the past, but you guys more or less fixed them in a timely manner. I don't know if DMS will ever be stable based on my experiences using it for the past several months. It it not easier to use because you are constantly having to deal with issues like disappearing content and work not being saved. It is depressing because we--those of us who stayed with you on this release--still love Pagelines and DMS still holds some promise, but if something is wrong with the way it's basically built, causing these endless problems ... then there is no promise, it's never going to work properly. Which is what it seems like. 

I am offended by all of this because I don't have time for this. I don't have time to do screencasts showing you how DMS is broken and I don't have time to argue with people about plugins that don't work. Plugins, I might add, that cost you money on top of the 27 a month. 

Simon

I'm backing up Rob here.

For starters, the DMS site tour says that it can "Use all the tools and plugins supported by WordPress." Yet, every time there is an issue with DMS, a DMS rep says it must be a plug in. If plugins cause so many problems, DMS shouldn't be advertised as working with all of them.

Plugins don't cause the problems.

Plugin authors who do not keep up with coding standards and do not code with debugging switched on are half the problem as the DMS editor relied on AJAX and AJAX has to have zero output to the page to work right. As 99.9% of cheap hosts have PHP warnings printed directly to the page this means the same warnings are printed into the AJAX output, which then causes the browser javascript engine to error out.

The trouble is there are no guidelines or policing of WordPress plugins, authors can push any code they like to the public.

All our products are coded with WP_DEBUG turned on, not even a PHP notice gets through to the final product.

You can contact the 3rd party developers directly via personal message on the forum if you wish.

You keep referring to Nicks products, he pulled all his products and no longer sells products through PageLines.

Is your issue here about the media library or a 3rd party addon?

markland

Plugins don't cause the problems.

Plugin authors who do not keep up with coding standards and do not code with debugging switched on are half the problem as the DMS editor relied on AJAX and AJAX has to have zero output to the page to work right. 

I have no idea what that means, nor should I. Bottom line -- DMS does not work with all plug ins, but is advertised that it does. Considering how often there are plug in conflicts (or suggested there might be), it may be time to correct the way DMS advertises itself and quit pretending DMS never makes mistakes. It's this very type of response that plagues Pagelines and just proves Rob's complaints.

Simon

So we should test DMS with all plugins? There are 28,186 at the time of posting, and thats just ones on WordPress.org

I have no idea what that means, nor should I.

Sorry i'll try and simplify it.

If your page outputs any php warnings or notices because of sloppy code it will break the AJAX editor. We have no control over the 28,186 plugins or which ones you choose to install.

We test DMS to make sure it has no sloppy code, and we run the most common plugins on our main site and blogs.

markland

So we should test DMS with all plugins? 

No, nor did I even begin to suggest this. But Pagelines DMS advertises that it works with all plugins. Not the most common plugins. "ALL the tools and plugins supported by Wordpress."

Your code is a bit more unforgiving than most. I've come to accept this. But Pagelines needs to accept this as well and advertise it thusly. Anything less is, in fact, false advertising. 

markland

It it not easier to use because you are constantly having to deal with issues like disappearing content and work not being saved. It is depressing because we--those of us who stayed with you on this release--still love Pagelines and DMS still holds some promise, but if something is wrong with the way it's basically built, causing these endless problems ... then there is no promise, it's never going to work properly. Which is what it seems like. 

I am offended by all of this because I don't have time for this. I don't have time to do screencasts showing you how DMS is broken and I don't have time to argue with people about plugins that don't work.

And yes, yes, yes. What Rob said. It's frustrating that even I have had disappearing content, like many others, and this continued to be blamed on plugins and my host. Instead of acknowledging this is a wider problem in some way, Pagelines seems to be more interested in putting the burden on paying users.

Rob Thomas

Well, that was totally unhelpful, Simon. 

The issue was with using any media in the media library in Wordpress with DMS. You have the screencast!!!!

An additional issue is with the section sold in the Pagelines store, Audio Player, that has been broken for a month. It is still sold and users have told the developer it is broken and there has been no fix, despite Pagelines telling me it was fixed. 

simon I am hosting with the same host as you, Flywheel. You can't blame my host for these issues.

Rob Thomas

Danny I already answered your question ==>>> http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/31309-audio-player-broken/

and see this (it was now a week ago that I was told this by James, and it's not true). check for yourself: the problem has not been fixed. 

do people not read? why am I having to restate the problem multiple times?!!!

James told me 5 days ago "I've checked the forum and Alex's last message was that a fix was pushed for the audio player to correct the previous issues- http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/31309-audio-player-broken/"

You can see for yourself that no fix was pushed through. You can go to my website, http://imaginethepolitical.com (bottom of the syllabus page) which has been a live website since August and see that none of the audio files play and it has been a month since it just suddenly broke. 

Danny

Rob - Where on that topic does it show James saying its fixed ? 

If the developer has been told, then he is most definitely working on it, after all you have paid for the product. I will try and contact him on your behalf and link to that topic for you.

In regards to the issue with the Media Player, this has already been reported and fixed in the night builds and ready for the upcoming patch. In the meantime Rob, what you do is this ( we know you shouldn't have to and we apologise for this):

1. Upload your image as normal

2. Then click on another option field, this will bring up the save spinning indication icon.

3. After the save, click publish and your image should be uploaded correctly.

Again, we apologise, this is a frustrating issue, one that even annoys the hell out of me. But rest assured it has been resolved.

markland

We advertise that DMS works with the all tools and plugins supported by Wordpress as DMS follows the Wordpress API standards, therefore, it should work with all of them. It is not our fault that some plugins are badly coded and do not follow the Wordpress API standards, i.e. Code Canyon plugins.

Also, when our staff say its plugin or server related, this is because our team attempt to recreate your issue on their testing site (local and live), if they can not do so, then its most likely one of two things plugins or server related.

I have just this moment added the private URL from your profile and I have found that your host is someone called Hostica - http://www.hostica.com/

As you can probably see from their website, they provide cheap hosting $1.50 per month? Cheap equaling poor hosting and isn't an environment for any Wordpress powered website, I would recommend you find an alternative.

Rob Thomas
Danny, it is in the very quote on the last thread I wrote (top part of quote) which you replied to!!!! (It's from an email reply).

Thank you for your apology, but I still don't see how this makes it acceptable. 27 a month for a product that performs this way, plus 20$ an extension and those extensions just break, for a month, leaving the user stranded? How is this acceptable to Pagelines?

There has to be a better way.

markland

As you can probably see from their website, they provide cheap hosting $1.50 per month? Cheap equaling poor hosting and isn't an environment for any Wordpress powered website, I would recommend you find an alternative.

As I've pointed out before, they provide $1.50/month hosting, but it's not the plan I'm on. You've mentioned this time and again. It's condescending and insulting, especially considering every issue I've brought up with Pagelines ends up not being a result of my hosting.

Clearly Pagelines does not want to take any criticism to heart, and only wants to defend itself. I'm providing my feedback on a semi-private forum, and not offsite on reviews, hoping it would be appreciated on some level. Disappointing.

Danny

Rob Thomas

Yeah I seen the quote, but James doesn't tell you it has been fixed, he states that he checked the forum and Aleks last message says he has pushed an update to fix the issue. That isn't James personally telling you the issue has been fixed is it ? That is why I asked for to see James reply.

I have PM the developer for you via Skype, awaiting a reply. I understand you frustration, but if you have issues with a product, you should post this in the store forum. Aleksansder has his own forum for his products. By writing in the standard tech forums or contacting our helpdesk, will not speed up the process. The support staff have no connection to store products fixes, updates and so forth. This is the very reason as to why the store has it's own forum, when you post in the correct forum, it automatically notifies the developer of that product.

markland

I am by no means trying to be condescending or insulting, just offering some advice. When I did a reverse IP check on your site, there were over 180 other websites on the same server, this figure isn't that high especially when you compare it to the current record which is 1847 I think. However, the 180+ other websites clearly show that you're using shared hosting. Shared hosting regardless of the host, is cheap hosting and isn't an ideal environment for any kind of dynamic/CMS powered website. This is the main reason as to why I kept bringing it up, you say you haven't had a problem with them, then thats fine. However, if I was you I would move to a more known and respective host, such as Flywheel, ZippyKid, WP Engine, or even Digital Ocean.

Not all your issues have been caused by DMS, the widget issue for example was related to a plugin, the Masthead/Header issue is most likely connected to the saving issue that I mentioned above to Rob (although, I added a Hero section or Masthead section to your header and had no problems). We understand that not every issue reported in the forums is going to be related to either a plugin or a server configuration and that DMS has bugs/flaws that users find when using the product.

After working support one thing I have found that is 99.9% of the time to be the case, is that if a user reports an issue where something isn't doing something that it's supposed to, then the likely hood is that, that issue is caused by a plugin and if not a plugin then a server configuration issue. This is why the first thing we ask is for users to provide a link to their website and disable all active plugins, if this doesn't resolve the issue, then we ask them to enable PL Debug mode. 

We take all criticism on the chin and use it to improve the product and we actually appreciate it and any feedback given. I for one appreciate the fact that any user takes the time to report a potential bug or provide feedback on how to improve the product.

The only time I would say I personally was defensive, is when a user reports that their website is slow and its down to a PageLines product. Especially, when you run some checks on their website and find that they're using shared hosting and have 2000 websites on the same server.

So again, if come across as condescending, I apologise that was not the intention whatsoever.

Rob Thomas
Danny I LINKED YOU TO THE FORUM WHERE I AND OTHERS ASKED FOR HELP MULTIPLE TIMES.

What are you talking about? You can read it for yourself. Multiple posts were made in the correct forum and ... nothing. Which is why, in another context, I expressed my frustration both there (in the email) and here.

Are you just not able to read or to listen to your customers? Is that why we have to go through this torture?

All of this--plugins broken for a month, this back and forth instead of support, is UNPROFESSIONAL and it makes Pagelines look bad.

At this point there's no going back to Pagelines for me. The bad customer service, the bad attitudes. And mostly the product (DMS) that deletes content are all unacceptable given the cost. You've talked yourself out of a loyal customer who has been with you for three years.

Danny

Rob, The topic you linked is in the correct forum, I never said it wasn't ? When I said what I did in my previous post, it wasn't referring to the topic you linked. I was just trying to inform readers of that topic how the support forums work.

The issue is that this topic has become a complete mess, users hijacking the topic, topic switching and even causing our developer not even knowing what the topic is about, is it about the Media Library bug (which has been fixed, thanks you to bringing this to our attention) and the Section you purchased which isn't working.

This is exactly why I said what did, it was by no means aimed at you even though it was in the paragraph where I mentioned you, so I apologise if that is how it come across.

I have just this moment contacted the developer again and he has informed that he is aware of the issue, apologises for the delay and he will get on it, this weekend.

So to sum up, first and foremost, I apologise for the frustration this has caused and that the annoying media library bug has been resolved and will be included in an upcoming patch. If you're brave you can try the nightly builds version from GitHub. The Audio section should be fixed by the weekend, according to the dev.

Rob Thomas

Thanks for your help, Danny. 

soulhuntre

Sorry for coming in late, I was pointed at this thread by a DMS user that contacted me for help. I will comment elsewhere where appropriate, but I will make this comment here in the hopes these suggestions will find their way to the right ears.

Plugin authors who do not keep up with coding standards and do not code with debugging switched on are half the problem as the DMS editor relied on AJAX and AJAX has to have zero output to the page to work right. As 99.9% of cheap hosts have PHP warnings printed directly to the page this means the same warnings are printed into the AJAX output, which then causes the browser javascript engine to error out.

You can make the point all you want that "they are doing it wrong" - but if the choice is necessarily between a "correct" DMS that is very fragile and a "wrong" wordpress ecosystem that supplies our needs - take a guess which one many will have to abandon to serve their clients?

It needs to be made MUCH more clear in the pre-sales information that there is a significant issue with many third party plug-ins and that, by design, this will not change. Combined with much clearer communication when a plugin is found to be unusable in DMS - perhaps a forum thread dedicated to this? I see there is one of customer reported compatibility - but that is not the same as an "official" list that can be relied on to have been well tested.

Maybe you need to publish a "whitelist" of the most popular, influential plugins that you know DO work?  Obviously there is no point in going through the entire WordPress plugin world - but we all know that there are maybe 50 plugins that are vastly influential over the others. A lot of work to test - but you guys should be testing them anyway.. and not just the ones you use on your site - but the ones your customers use that you know about. You could even put up a poll and get a list of the critical ones that way.

At the VERY least, there needs to be much more clear communication on when a DMS upgrade will break sections purchased from the DMS store itself. It is debatable how important it is to test with other plugins, but there is little reason I can see for a update to break products purchased from the store on PageLines.com and that not be clearly communicated at the time of the release. The broken sections should then be marked and disabled in the store till they are updated. The whole point of buying from a "first party store" (even if the product is third party) is this implied assurance of quality.

Every user of DMS will have different needs. Some of them will be able to do well using only DMS sections, others will be able to get by on DMS sections and the plugin-whitelist, still others will need more freedom to choose plugins and decide not to use DMS. The thing is, they need much better information in order to make that choice. This should not be something they discover after a few weeks or months of frustration.

Ken

-----------------------------------

Samurai Developer - WordPress and Enterprise level development in PHP, .NET and Node. 

Have a question about my services? Need help with a project? Just want to say hi? Go ahead and contact me!

nfp1900

Just to jump in here. 

The reverse look-up doesn't mean much. I have excellent speeds on my host TSO but when I did this look-up there were thousands of sites listed on my IP. When I asked their support they said there are over 50,000 websites behind this one IP but their load balancing systems actually make this number irrelevant. In fact I've used shared cloud hosting for a lot of sites all using pagelines and now DMS and the speed has always been fine. The majority of clients simply aren't going to pay for dedicated hosting and I wouldn't recommend it to them either. 

In terms of using DMS, there are still a few things to iron out but in nearly every case I've found it to be a third-party issue that affects the functionality.