Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bfrye26

Feature Articles having Larger picture in post loop

bfrye26

Hello. I have been messing with DMS since it was released. It was a fantastic piece of software. I am just trying to sort out a few things to ensure I can create a versatile site that the visitors will enjoy. 

I am trying to make so select articles in the post loop have a bigger picture. In the category page and on the front page. 

I was thinking something along the lines of this:

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/

where every few articles are given a bigger picture to create focus for the reader. 

I also wanted to do something like this for the category page: 

http://modernfarmer.com/category/news/

with the main articles given a bigger image to break up the look

I look forward to your ideas

James B

Hi there,

Unfortunately the would be quiet an advanced customization. You'd really need to look into a third party plugin solution or getting a custom postloop section produced as it would probably need to be hardcoded to tell the section 'every 6th post you pull from the db - use this alternative layout' etc.

You might be able to create something similar using the special recent posts plugin, I know they do a Pro version which allows for different types of layouts using posts from the main loop.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

bfrye26

James B What about the  larger image at top. That seems like it would just need a aspect in the post loop that says skip the first story that will then can use a widget to display that top story. Let me know your thoughts 

James B

Looking at the site that top post is actually part of a slider which is set to pull set feature posts. You could create something similar using a slider and assigning specific posts that you want to display at the top to a new/separate category called 'featured' or something similar etc. That way they'd always be at the top of the page in the slider and each time you added a new one it would appear first.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B