Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

janpeeters

Retina?

janpeeters

Hi,

I've installed the WP Retina 2x plugin on www.lovo.nu. I read on the forum that you (Pagelines) are also using this plugin but that thread was more then a year old.

I would think that a plugin like this would serve non-retina images to non-retina devices. But when I look which images are loaded it are the full size 1600x1200 images even in iBoxes. So that ads quite a bit up to the load time of my site hahaha.

I realize that this might be quite a niche question but if anyone has experience with this and can give some advice I would be most grateful.

Thanks a lot, Jan

Simon

The ibox images are supposed to be icons etc, uploading a 1600x1200 image is a bit overkill. I have no experience with that plugin, retina is way over my budget ;)

janpeeters

Hi Simon,

Yeah hehe, I know it's ridiculous overkill and only my phone does retina.

I uploaded this large image because the plugin is supposed to render smaller images but the large one get shown in the iBox. I would think the iBoxes would use a WP thumb-image. But I don't know enough of the DMS code to analyse if it doesn't do that.

A year ago you replied that Pagelines v2 (anyway that's how I interpreted it) used the plugin. 

http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/22567-retina-hidpi-grahics-and-images-in-pagelines/?hl=retina

Do you use retina for the DMS site? And if so how? [if you have the time] ;-)

Thanks, Jan

Andrew

Our preferred approach these days is to simply double up on the size of the images, the overhead for catering to non-retina devices in exchange for bandwidth isn't worth it. Bandwidth speeds are getting too high, and its just not an issue.

janpeeters

Hi Andrew,

that makes perfect sense.Thanks for the info!  Just measure the preferred size of the iBox and then x2. 

Jan

sheilahoff

I have a related question you two might be able to help with, if you don't mind. I've told my client to make all the RevSlider images certain dimensions at 72dpi. He wanted higher resolution for retina (which I knew nothing about). So he tried making them the designated dimensions but higher res. Of course that made the image dimensions larger. So now in our dev site slider the last 3 images are his. You can see that they start zoomed and then pop to the actual size. We can change them all to be the same but how do we use higher resolution images in the designated space allotted and not see the zoom/jump?

I had told him 1014x550 px at 72. He took those dimensions and added resolution (I'm not sure how much but guessing 120) and now his images are 3008x1632. What specs would YOU use for this slider? Thanks.

BTW...client is a photographer. So this is coming up because he thinks the first slides are fuzzy on his screen. Not because he actually is using Retina display. In fact he's on a PC. So does the Retina plug-in or advice to make all images 2x size even make any sense for that purpose? I don't think the first images look fuzzy. I feel like he's asked me to fix something that isn't broken. But the client is always right!

http://www.tca.hoffmangraphics.com

Thanks,

Sheila

Sheila Hoffman | Hoffman Graphics | Seattle

sheilahoff

Thanks Danny. Since he's not actually caring so much about Retina as just having the images look good, what do you usually recommend? Was I correct to say the images should be the dimensions desired at 72 dpi?

sheilahoff

PERFECT! That's exactly what this client needed to see (he's an engineer...he'll love it!). Thank you!

Danny

no problem.

Please search our forums, before posting!

kakadong

all pics show on monitor is nothing about the dpi or ppi.

dpi and ppi only used for print.

when we design a site , we only care about is image size. how many pixels in height and how many pixels in width.  

so even if an image is 300*300  at 72ppi , it looks exactly the same with 300*300 at 100000ppi .  

ppi doesn't matter in webdesign.

retina display devices shows pics in 4 times bigger than original. so, if you want a 300 * 300 display on Normal devices, you should upload 600*600 image. so it will look the same.

but if you only upload 300*300 then it will become blurry. because total pixel is only quarter of what you need.  

Anyway,  nothing about PPI or DPI . They both used for print.