Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmad

Number of Drag&Drop Sections

jmad

The plans&pricing of DMS says there are over 40 drag and drop sections.  Is there a list of those sections somewhere.  I'm wanting to compare because I don't have 40 in my "your sections" area and that is counting starbars and postpins that I had to get using Karma.

Are the list and shelf sections supposed to be there somewhere?

Danny

Hi,

There are 33 that come preinstalled with DMS:

Two from Karma Postpins and StarBars

Six from Viewer Gallery, List, Quotes, Shelft, Shoutbox, Socialbar and Super Grid.

One from Pretty Photo Filtered Projects.

Please search our forums, before posting!

jmad

So you have to install Viewer and Pretty Photo to get the rest of the sections?    What if I have the basic theme built and just want one of those sections.  Where can I download it?  Having to install a theme to get a section that I paid for with my membership seems screwy. 

Danny

Well you have paid a membership to get those sections, those section came after the DMS launch as those themes have only been released recently. So technically the statement of over 40 drag and drop sections wasn't accurate. However it was if you installed the legacy sections plugins.

Either way, in order to get those sections onto your DMS, you will want to download the themes, then using an FTP client, upload the sections folder i.e. shelf to the sections folder.

For example.

You have downloaded Viewer and want the Shelf section available in DMS. Load up your FTP client, then navigate to wp-content/themes/childtheme

Upload the shelf folder to the sections folder (child theme), activate it in your Wordpress Admin Dashboard backend and then visit the DMS visual editor and on the Add To Page tab, click reload sections.

I will create a issue in our tracker asking if its possible for these sections to be included in DMS by default.

jmad

Where do I find the legacy sections plugin?  

The sections certainly need to be stand alone along with the full width textbox and mediabox.  Danny - you and the other PL support are always a great help so it's not personal when I say...  who had that crazy freaking idea and why?  It seems that's just a lot of extra steps and most users I would think want the base tools in every toolbox.  

Danny

I have already reported this to our tracker.

In regards to the FullBox and FullMediaBox, these haven't actually been created by PageLines, they were created by on of our store developers. However, I have also created a issue regarding that FullBox and FullMediaBox be included by default in DMS.

Oh and I wasn't taking offence, I would stating that the sections that come with the child themes were only released recently.

Danny

No problem.

jmad

hmm..

I downloaded Viewer.  Ran the zip.  See a Viewer folder with Sections in it.  Have 7 sections.  Via SFTP I added Quotes.  Logged back into DMS but it's not showing in plugins.

jmad

Danny

I'm working with WPE to try and resolve this.  Just to be clear.  The file folder labled "Quotes" would be all I need to upload via SFTP and nothing else inside the Viewer folder Is that correct?

Danny

You only need to upload the sections folder and the files contained inside that folder and nothing else.

jmad

I spent about an hour chatting with WPE yesterday.  The files were uploaded via SFTP but never showed in my plugins area to activate.  Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Danny

Plugins folder ?

Im sure you want them in your child themes sections folder, like so:

wp-content/
     /themes/

/dms child theme

/sections/

/shelf

Reload and boom, sections should be available.

jmad

I only have DMS installed, no child theme.  I was just pulling these sections out of Viewer.  I'll keep working with it.

Danny

No no, my bad. You will want to use a child theme, just re-read my instructions and I did say the upload to the plugins folder. However, you will need to use a child theme and then upload Shelf and any other section(s) folders and files to the Child themes section folder.

jmad

@ Danny - Sorry man, I must not had enough coffee yet...I'm completely confused now.  Did your instructions in the previous post change?  I could have swore it said plugin folder before.  

So will intalling the Viewer childtheme result in my site taking on the properties from the theme?  What' the difference between doing it this way and installing the theme via WP Admin.  Just so we are on the same page.  My goal is to use the sections from Viewer but any formatting or such that would come over with the theme.  I haven't been using a child theme just the custom CSS area. Is there any reason to use a child theme vs just DMS?

Thanks, again for your help!  Good news is after asking numerous questions in the forum, I've about got two sites ready to bring live with DMS.   

James B

Hi there, a child theme will allow you to add additional information other than just css/less (which can be added via the DMS control panel anyway). Using a child theme you can add your own code, custom sections, custom functions/filters etc. It also allows you to save the theme as your own child theme which can then be uploaded to other sites you might have to replicate the layout/settings.

By copying over the sections you want from the viewer child theme and installing them into your own custom child theme you will be able to use them without the styles of the viewer theme being applied to your site.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

jmad

Got it.  Then if one of the sections has an update available will that be accessible through the WP Admin updates?

James B

As those sections are part of a theme package by a third party developer you won't get notifications for updates unfortunately as any updates will only be made available for the theme the dev produced with those sections included etc. They aren't published separately. 

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B