Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flourishdesignstudio

Text in Text Box Disappears from Editor

flourishdesignstudio

I am working on a site and have been troubleshooting a very time-consuming and frustrating problem. Before I begin, I'll let you know that EVERYTHING is up to date, and I have tried disabling all plugins. I've been using DMS since day 1 and have completed abut 10 sites using it. So, I do understand how it is supposed to work.

I am working on a site that has text boxes in the footer section. There is currently content in the text box when you look at the live site. activeplaybooks.com

But, when you try to edit the text, the box is empty. So, I cannot edit it. So, then I have to replace the content and code. But, then those changes do not stick after saving and publishing the page. I have been trying to edit this text box for HOURS and it's not working.

By the way, any edits that I have been successful making do not end up applying to the footers site-wide which is also a big problem. (see the last column in the footer,which should have 2 colored boxes. Note that the home page one does not, although it IS in the footer. This is a good example of the problems I have been having all day.

I simply want to be able to edit the footer and then for the footer to match across ALL pages. 

Please help! I'm on a deadline!

atcdomainsolutions

I am working on a site and have been troubleshooting a very time-consuming and frustrating problem. Before I begin, I'll let you know that EVERYTHING is up to date, and I have tried disabling all plugins. I've been using DMS since day 1 and have completed abut 10 sites using it. So, I do understand how it is supposed to work.

I am working on a site that has text boxes in the footer section. There is currently content in the text box when you look at the live site. activeplaybooks.com

But, when you try to edit the text, the box is empty. So, I cannot edit it. So, then I have to replace the content and code. But, then those changes do not stick after saving and publishing the page. I have been trying to edit this text box for HOURS and it's not working.

By the way, any edits that I have been successful making do not end up applying to the footers site-wide which is also a big problem. (see the last column in the footer,which should have 2 colored boxes. Note that the home page one does not, although it IS in the footer. This is a good example of the problems I have been having all day.

I simply want to be able to edit the footer and then for the footer to match across ALL pages. 

Please help! I'm on a deadline!

I was going to put a post up about this later tonight since I noticed this EXACT same thing... Witg the text boxes and also the media boxes. The main time I noticed it is when cloning a text box and then adding new content. I publish, save, refresh and it works. I go back to one of the text boxes or media boxes and there is nothing inside to edit or see. I saved a template this way with about 8 text and media boxes and will loading the template to a new page, the text and media boxes will be there BUT this time not only is the text/code I added inside the box missing but the content that should show for users is missing too. Never noticed this until the new DMS update and I disabled all plugins and still had the issue.

flourishdesignstudio

atcdomainsolutions Thank you SOOO much for posting! This is a new problem for me too (although I had noticed some issues with the Enhanced Options Editor on one site that had similar issues). I had originally been using that plugin to format the content in this site as well, and as soon as I started having the problems, I disabled the plugin just in case it was causing it. But, it did not help.

Between this and the footer not updating site-wide, I've spent WAAAY too much time on things that should be simple. I hope someone can help us out! 

atcdomainsolutions
flourishdesignstudio,as soon as I read your post, I was like "yep, EXACTLY what was happening to me yesterday! Haha.

James B

Hi there, I've tested this out and get the same weird results. Sometimes it keeps the text from the time before, sometimes nothing is there, sometimes it's showing a change from two edits prior.

Have logged this is as a bug in the tracker.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

Simon

Heres a video of it working, is this any different from what you re experiencing?

http://screencast.com/t/rkckPKjO3IxX

We simply cant recreate apparent bugs from looking at a live site, as we cant see whats in your editor.

ps, if you are going to +1 an apparent bug, please make the effort to help us fix it by telling us how to reproduce it.

flourishdesignstudio

Thanks for the video. I wish mine was working smoothly like that!

I shared login credentials with Danny earlier today. I'm happy to send them to you as well. I want to help you solve the issue!

My site does not work like the video that you just shared. It seems it was working for a little while, which is how I got as far as I did. Then, when I went back to make edits, sometimes the content was completely gone from the editor box, but was still displaying on the site. Very strange!! And, sometimes when I was able to edit the box content (or recreate it) it did not update on other pages. SOOOOO frustrating!

And, as you can clearly see from the link that I shared the footer content does not update on all pages. I'm not the only one experiencing these issues, as you can see from above. And, it is apparently happening in headers as well http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/31383-changes-in-header-keep-disappearing/

Because these 2 sections are similar in that they should affect pages site-wide, seems like it might be the same or similar in nature. That's way over my head, but maybe it makes sense to someone else! ;)

Andrew

Can you please post a screencast video of this issue? 

There is something going on, either a conflict or a data corruption somewhere... just give us the right information and we'll get on it for you....

flourishdesignstudio

How do I go about doing that? I've never created one. But, I can give it a try!

Rob Thomas
This is a known problem that I alerted Pagelines to a month ago.

I spent hours and days trying to help you troubleshoot just a small part of the disappearing content problem. And in the end it was mostly pointless.

Saying you can't replicate the problem is like sticking your fingers in your ears and saying I can't hear you. It's maddening. So end-users like us have to waste endless time to convince Pagelines that the problem exists, when we are paying for a product that causes the problem, demonstrate it, and then a month later people act like it's a new problem we can't replicate?

I had situations where the content disappeared in the visual editor, but by checking in browsers with emptied cache I could verify the content was still actually on the site (a load of good that does you when you are editing).

In my case, it happened with media boxes, text boxes, iboxes, etc. I had stuff delete when it was refreshed within the sections/boxes, and when it was saved with the main publish button. Danny was annoyed with the refresh approach and told me to just save everything with the main publish button. I'd try that (in case you're expecting the refresh buttons in the boxes to work--in my case, we demonstrated there were serious problems with that assumption). It seemed to behave somewhat more reliably (though not always) by doing that. I had one site that would not let me save any changes to save my life. On an on it went. No matter what I did.

In my case, at some point, the disappearing content problem stopped, but I can't tell you when. Or why. This happened across multiple sites on installs on Flywheel and other hosts. As I said before, it seems like DMS started out unstable, got stable (I built three sites very quickly last summer) and then this fall became remarkably unstable again. For whatever reason, it's working well for me now (knock on wood).

Sorry, not trying to be a jerk. It was super frustrating to have MORE WORK created by a broken framework. And it bums me to see others post the problem and have people say it doesn't exist. Or act like it's new. And, no, not all those things were captured on screencasts. Who has time for that? The product is supposed to save us time.

I too have been using DMS since day one. The above is one of the reasons why I've been researching other frameworks, despite the fact that I actually LIKE pagelines/DMS.

Danny

Not being able to reproduce a bug is nothing like sticking our fingers in our ear and singing Blah Blah Blah!

When a user reports a potential bug, our team try our upmost to recreate it and get this reported. However, if none of our team are able to reproduce the apparent bug, how can we report it, there is nothing to report.

The main problem in my opinion is that a lot of users pay for $1 per year hosting and think thats OK, this isn't OK. It's $1 per year for reason, its extremely poor. Your site/domain will be added to a server with hundreds of others, all sharing the same resources and the servers are likely to be configured in such as way thats is impossible for things to work correctly.

As you are well aware, I was unable to recreate your issue, the issue with the refresh for preview button was already explained to you, its related to data sync. If you were to click on another field upon changing an option this resolved the issue. I reported this issue and a fix was applied, you can see that here - https://github.com/pagelines/DMS/issues/468

If that didn't resolve your issue nor did clicking the publish button, then the most likely cause is your server configuration. I have about 30 test sites locally, 8 sites live and I was unable to recreate any sections missing content, or content being removed. When I added new sections, added content and configured them, upon publish/refresh the content and settings were exactly as I configured them.

We understand you're not trying to be jerk and if roles were reversed, I would probably be exactly the same. But the fact is, we're even more frustrated than you, as we aren't able to produce the same issue.

By providing information, debug info, videos, screenshots although this stuff takes time, but it will lead us to finding a solution to your issue.

Please search our forums, before posting!

flourishdesignstudio

I have a busy morning and plan to do a screencast of the issue later today. But, in the meantime, please note that the footers do not match on these 2 pages. The rest match because I manually made them match, but I have additional changes to make and hope to not have to do that again.

Note the last column where it starts with "Additional Information For:" which is part of the footer section.

http://activeplaybooks.com/home/

http://activeplaybooks.com/product/active-play-fun-physical-activities-for-young-children/

flourishdesignstudio

Hi there!

So I just made a screencapture of one of the major issues that I am encountering. In the video, you will see that I have updated a link within a textbox in the footer section. I pressed publish, the dot turned green, and the change seems to have stuck on the initial page. However, when I visit the rest of the site pages, there still is no active link. Therefore, the changes made in the footer are not being saved to the rest of the site pages.

http://screencast.com/t/3cwxpWba

Currently, you can see 3 footer variations on my site. (see below) This is NOT what I am trying to achieve. Unfortunately, though changes to the footer are not affecting the footer site-wide. This was also true when I turned off all plugins.

Please help!

http://activeplaybooks.com

http://activeplaybooks.com/home/

http://activeplayboo...young-children/

greenfly

Hello Flourishdesignstudio

I have checked you site and the footer is below the area that starts with "additional information for"  you can see the footer highlighted in firebug here http://d.pr/i/dGQs

The footers on all 3 of the pages you provided are the same you can see the screenshot here http://d.pr/i/ngOH

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

flourishdesignstudio

Your screen capture shows that the area that I have referenced IS within the footer. I have made a red box around the area that I am referring to. http://screencast.com/t/0jiSz7jV

greenfly

yep - my bad - i looked at the wrong section. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

protech

Not being able to reproduce a bug is nothing like sticking our fingers in our ear and singing Blah Blah Blah!

When a user reports a potential bug, our team try our upmost to recreate it and get this reported. However, if none of our team are able to reproduce the apparent bug, how can we report it, there is nothing to report.

The main problem in my opinion is that a lot of users pay for $1 per year hosting and think thats OK, this isn't OK. It's $1 per year for reason, its extremely poor. Your site/domain will be added to a server with hundreds of others, all sharing the same resources and the servers are likely to be configured in such as way thats is impossible for things to work correctly.

As you are well aware, I was unable to recreate your issue, the issue with the refresh for preview button was already explained to you, its related to data sync. If you were to click on another field upon changing an option this resolved the issue. I reported this issue and a fix was applied, you can see that here - https://github.com/pagelines/DMS/issues/468

If that didn't resolve your issue nor did clicking the publish button, then the most likely cause is your server configuration. I have about 30 test sites locally, 8 sites live and I was unable to recreate any sections missing content, or content being removed. When I added new sections, added content and configured them, upon publish/refresh the content and settings were exactly as I configured them.

We understand you're not trying to be jerk and if roles were reversed, I would probably be exactly the same. But the fact is, we're even more frustrated than you, as we aren't able to produce the same issue.

By providing information, debug info, videos, screenshots although this stuff takes time, it will lead us to finding a solution to your issue.

I believe this is not a hosting issue. We have our sites running on a VPS that costs about $160 a month. And we are experiencing the problem as well. It seems like regardless of where you publish on the site it is hit and miss in terms of Pagelines keeping the changes. It seems like you have to hit publish, hit the refresh icon in the section you are editing and then hit publish a second time for it to take (which sometimes works)...I usually resort to copying any long html code into notepad before saving because I never know if Pagelines will actually save the changes.. Has anyone considered the fact that it might be a problem with the code that is pulling back data from the database when the DMS editor loads? It's either a problem with the DMS editor or a problem on saving changes to the database. 

flourishdesignstudio

Danny"] @[member="protech Although this site is not a a VPS server, I use Bluehost, and I do not pay $1 per month for hosting. They've been great hosts for Wordpress and Pagelines in the past. For a small site, Bluehost should be more than adequate.

atcdomainsolutions
[quotepublish protech" post="186854" timestamp="1384895666"]I believe tht a hosting issue. We have our sites run a VPS that costs about $160 a month. And we are experiencing the problem as well. It seems like issue wless of where you publish on the site it is hit and miss in terms of Pagelines keeping the changes. It seems like you have to hit publish, hit the refresh icon in the section you are editing and then hit publish a second time for it to take (which sometimes works)...I usually resort to copying any long html code into notepad before saving because I never know if Pagelines will actually save the changes.. Has anyone considered the fact that it might be a problem with the code that is pulling back data from the database when the DMS editor loads? It's either a problem with the DMS editor or a problem on saving changes to the database.
[/quote]

I can definitely confirm what others are stating and that changes do not seem to take with the new version of DMS. I'm doing the exact same things on my end and copying my code or styles to a text editor before publishing and refreshing because it always seems to take 2-3 and sometimes 4 Saves/publisg before changes actually stick. Love DMS but this is DEFINITELY a bug. Text constantly disappears from text and CSS less area and media boxes. I have built over 20 sites so far with DMS and not saving things differently so it HAS to be a bug or something with latest version.

Danny

If all three of you're experiencing the same issue, can one of you provide the exact steps to recreate the issue, can all of you provide a link to your pL Debug info too please.

Please search our forums, before posting!

flourishdesignstudio

Danny Hi Danny! Hopefully this is what you mean for the debug info: http://activeplaybooks.com/?pldebug=1 Let me know if you need anything else. I've also sent you login credentials.

To recreate the problem, just log in, edit either the text box in the top right header or the textbox in the bottom right footer (or any of them!), save, click publish (sometimes I do this multiple times, encouraging it to save), and then check the results on all pages of the site. You'll see that not all of the pages update.

Then, sometimes when you go back to edit the textbox, you'll find the editing box empty even though there is clearly content showing on the page within the textbox. This will most likely happen on a page where the content is showing correctly, such as http://activeplaybooks.com/product/active-play-fun-physical-activities-for-young-children/

I included a screencast yesterday. So, hopefully this helps.

Because I am behind on this project, I am going to have to either get the issue fixed today, or I'll have to upload an older version of Pagelines before my clients get angry. So, if you have time to troubleshoot today, it would be most appreciated!

Andrew

Can we have a screencast of the issue?

I really can't tell what's going on here... a screenshot does NOT get the job done... 

paul_t

This is still a problem - is there a fix due shortly? Last post on this was two months ago

Its like it doesn't know if its a local or global

May have fixed it by making it local, then back to global and reentering the text - but can't be sure no time to test on the job.