Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

petere21

How could I combinate sections from two different themes into DMS base?

petere21

I want to use section from viewer theme in another theme. How is it possible?

sheilahoff

If you have an FTP tool, simply upload the section to the correct location. I've used sections that way successfully. Just be sure you know where it came from and that you copy over the whole folder to the correction location within content/themes/DMS/sections. Then refresh and it should be there to use.

Sheila Hoffman | Hoffman Graphics | Seattle

Danny

Hi,

You can do as Sheila suggested, but when an update is available for DMS, the added section will be removed. To prevent this, you will want to use a child theme and upload those sections folder/files to your child themes section folder.

Then enable your child theme, goto your DMS Toolbar > Add to Page and click Reload Sections, upon refresh the new sections will be available.

Please search our forums, before posting!

sheilahoff

Danny, I am using a child theme myself. But when DMS updates doesn't it only overwrite the sections that are part of DMS? Why would it overwrite sections with unique names that are not included in DMS?! Just curious.

Danny

It may or may not, but if you're adding custom files or folders to DMS, the best practice is to use a child theme, thats the whole purpose of a child theme. To add or make changes to things, that wont be effected by an update.

You shouldn't add or touch any files in the DMS folder unless you know what you're doing.

Please search our forums, before posting!

petere21

Hi, but if I create a child theme MyViewerChild of child theme (Viewer, ver. 1.0.1) with one new section, in DMS editor I can see only this new section together with DMS sections, Viewer's sections disappeared. :(

sheilahoff

You have to manually FTP each of the sections that are not part of DMS to the child theme's section folder for them to display.

petere21

Hi Sheila,

Update: If I understood you well, you are telling me, that if I want to make CHILD of CHILD of DMS (see below - my case), I have to copy ALL of the sections into my CHILD of CHILD of DMS? It is IMHO real duplication of CHILD of DMS theme and I don't understand meaning of this ... :(

My case is:

I want to extend CHILD theme of DMS (f.e. Viewer Theme - from PageLines, which is child of DMS).

So I want to create MyViewerChild theme:

DMS Theme -> Viewer Theme -> MyViewerChild Theme.

MyViewerChild theme contains my new sections.

But then standard DMS Web "Add Section" interface contains/displays only MyViewerChild sections + DMS sections.

None of Viewer Theme's sections is displayed there.

:(

James B

Hi there, Shelia is correct there. If you have you're viewer child theme active, then wp won't be looking inside the standard viewer theme for any sections at all. It will only look at the current theme (your child theme) and the parent theme (DMS).

So any extra sections you want to include in your viewer child theme, from the original viewer theme will need to be copied over into your child theme in order to display when made active.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

• Similar Content

• King Creative Design
      By King Creative Design+
      WordPress 4.2.2
      DMS2 Version: 2.1.9.3
      Skeleton theme

Site URL - http://newsite.ocdla.com

1.) I'm working with the Page Title Section and it looks like it might do what I want it to do, but if so I can't figure out which settings to use.

2.) I have the Page Title section set up on the 'default page template', which i'm using for most pages on this site, as they all have the same layout.

3.) I need every page to have a different title (obviously, hence why I'm using the section) but I want them to be different from what the page title is in the actual WP page doc. I see that there is there is an override in the DMS editor for this section, however when I change it, it changes all pages globally. Is there a way to do this so every page can have it's own separate overridable title?

4.) Currently it appears how I want it to because I have done a workaround by naming the WP pages (from within the WP dash) what I need them to say. The beauty of this workaround was that the client would not have to open the DMS editor to make changes to these titles and could edit them right from the WP dash, however I have discovered that it will mess with the site search function as well as not being ideas for SEO.

5.) I'm open to using a different section to achieve this effect so If you have another solve or a different section that might work better, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

• rmaxsg
      By rmaxsg
      i remove all padding and margin. why still have white space?
      i set section and textbox. All padding top 0. why still have white space?