Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

circ2013

Looking for advice on how I can roll out a DMS template to 50 different sites/unique subdomains of a single domain

circ2013

Hello DMS Staff and DMS users,

I am doing a site for a companay that specializes in Crane operator trainng out of the New England and they have asked me to help them take their web presence national.  They would like to target Crane safety training in each of the 50 states and want to use a unique domain for each one.  ie. texas.cranetraining.com, florida.cranetraining.com, ohio.cranetraning.com...

So, what I would like to do is create a single landing page template in DMS on my local machine and a staging enironment, but then duplicate it to all 50 sites.  Is there an easy way to do this?  I have moved several sites before using things like the Backup Buddy tool or simply zipping up the entire site, ftp'ing it up to the new WP instance and then using the find and replace script to update all urls...

However, becasue the content is going to be unique for each site, I don't want to move any of the content.  I just want to move the empty template.  So, I am wondering if I could grab a small set up files (theme files such as the css and any configuration files) that would retain all the column settings, section settings, plugins, sidebar/post settings, and simply ftp them to all 50 stand alone sites?

Does this make sense and are there any recommendations out there.  What I am trying to avoid is having to do each site one at a time.  I am sure that I could get a good system down, but even it I got it to an hour a site, it would take me well over a week at doing just this.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Danny

HI,

If I understand you correctly, you could just do an export/import of your theme settings under DMS Toolbar > Settings > Import/Export

Export your theme settings from your local install and import them to your live site.

Please search our forums, before posting!

circ2013

Hello Danny,

I tried that and that worked for bringing over images and content, but that is the stuff that will change on each site.  So, that is the stuff, I don't need.  What I am looking for is an easy way to duplicate my template (number of columsn, widths, heights, background colors, font settings, and plugins such as the Better iBoxes, Media Boxes, text boxes, etc)

I was also thinking about using WP-multisite for this.  If I set up my DMS theme (with Nick's Base child theme) and set it up at the Network level, shouldn't I just be able to activate that theme for each multi-site isntance?  I am going to try that right now and will let you know.

Thanks again,

Scott

Danny

The DMS import/export can export all your template settings/layout. So, if you create several templates all with unique layouts and designs. This settings will be included when you import them. This is exactly what you need isn't it ?

Also, please be aware that using Multisite will require a license key for each site using DMS. Therefore, if you do not have a developer license key, then you probably wont be able to use Multisite.

circ2013

Good ingo to know.  I am glad I purchaed the developer license.

Thanks agian,

Scott

circ2013

Hello Danny,

Thanks for you help here.  I am very close, but running into a few issues.  I am hoping for a little more advice/instruction...

First, I have successfully figured out how to export/save my settings to the .json and save the .json config file to my them.  Therefore, when I add a new site, I can activate the theme with my License key and then import the config settings.  However, I noticed that it only carries over the native DMS plugins and settings.  If I am using 3rd party plugins, I have to manually set them up again.  Is there anything I can do to get all plugins to carry over or is this just one of the limitations?

Second, my client wants a slider that will slide plain text "Testimonials".  I have tried the Quick slider and even purchased the Post Slider and the Cool Carousel slider, but so far, none of them are allowing me to simply slide one testimonial to the next?  I have looked at the other extensions in the Pagelines shop and I don't see anything that will meet my needs.  So, I may be faced with using a 3rd party plugin such as Royal Slider or something like this.  Any thoughts here?

Third, I also noticed that there is a DMS Uber Menu plugin, but when I do the export/import the Menu doesn't carry over either.  I have figured out how to export the .xml file from the WP-admin panel and then re-import all my menus, but is there a better way to do this and have my menus import already setup?

Thanks again,

Scott

circ2013

Sorry, one more thing.  I also found out that DMS editor doesn't work with the Domain mapping plugin.  I am sure that there isn't anything I can do here as it would make sense that the DMS editor is tied to the domain. In my case, mywebsite.com/colorado, but my final goal is to used domain mapping so that the site resolves to mycoloradowebsite.com as apposed to the subdomain.  Any thoughts on this one, or should I just plan on doing all the domain mapping after I get the sites totally dialed in and then plan on deactivating the plugin to make edits?

With DMS, is there any other option for editing my components/sections...?

Thanks again,

Scott

Danny

Hi Scott,

Your plugins and Menus will not be imported as these are not relative to DMS, but Wordpress and Wordpress doesn't offer this functionality by default, you can only import your WP content i.e. pages, posts etc...

To import your menus there is a plugin in the Wordpress repo, as for importing plugins I don't think that is possible, nor have I heard of a plugin offering this functionality. You would be best looking on the Wordpress plugin repo. However, if you're using Wordpress Multisite, can't you just enable the plugins via the network ?

In regards to Testimonials, you could use any slider to be honest or use a plugin. I found this one for you, but haven't tested it myself - http://wordpress.org/plugins/testimonials-widget/