Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hansonexperience

Caching Plugin with DMS? If so which one?

hansonexperience

Hi there,

I saw some postings on cache plugins and DMS giving trouble.

Can I use a cache plugin with DMS or better not? 

And if I can use one which one do you recommend or better not install them?

Danny

Hi,

The most commonly used are WP Super Cache and W3 Total Cache and you can choose between either.

However, the reason as to why most users have issues is that they think these plugins provide some magical code where, as soon as they're installed and activated, thats it!

This simply, isn't the case, these plugins need to be configured correctly to your server, if they're not configured correctly or you minify all CSS/JS etc.. and do not do that correctly you can run into all kinds of issues.

Another common mistake users make is that they install is a cache plugin before every other plugin they use and before they have even started to build/design their website. Cache plugins should only be installed and activated upon the completion of your site and not before.

Also Hans, if you're using FlyWheel, I don't think you can install a cache plugin as its not needed, you will probably want to contact their support if you're using them that is.

Please search our forums, before posting!

hansonexperience

Hi thanks! I do not use flywheel. Far too slow for me in the Netherlands. I moved over to a provide (topitech) in the Netherlands and now it is fast as hell :-)

My provider admin installed it last night and I thought I ask it here as I heard about problems with cache plugins and DMS. I can imagine that this workflow of first developing a site and then instelling a plugin works, but for a blog it won't work as I change the layout a lot with new widgets, banners, call to action a.s.o

So my blog is never finished.

Conclusion: not using a cache plugin right?

Can I read something in DMS docs about how to set up a cache plugin with DMS?

Danny

Cache plugins aren't specific to the theme, but to your server as I mentioned above. If you want to have a better understanding of how to configure the cache plugin you will want to read through the cache plugins documentation.

There are also literally thousands of guides on what are the best setups - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=how+to+configure+w3+total+cache+2013&oq=how+to+configure+w3+&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.6984j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=119&ie=UTF-8

hansonexperience

Ok. Thx. Yeah I found those docs but thought there could be some docs for DMS specfic.

I read that if caching is on and sections or temptaties are changed this could give weird problems.

Danny

Yeah it can cause problems, as your site is cached and yet you're changing the layout/design. Ideally what you should do is activate the cache plugin and configure it after your sites design has been finalised.

Then if you plan on making changes in the future disable it for the time being, make your changes then enable it again.

However, I am by no means a cache expert, that is why you should read some articles from people who are.