Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmad

Font Awesome Icons not working on Windows ie10

jmad

Site is madskydesign.com.  Icon background is displaying but not the actual icon.  I've searched the forums and saw a few threads about similar issues on other ie versions but not 10.  

I removed all code and it didn't change anything.  

atcdomainsolutions

Site is madskydesign.com.  Icon background is displaying but not the actual icon.  I've searched the forums and saw a few threads about similar issues on other ie versions but not 10.  

I removed all code and it didn't change anything.  

I was having that same problem with the new update.  I knew my client didn't want ANY excerpts so I added the below to the CSS Less area and it removed the excerpt:

.post-excerpt {
  display: none !important;
}

That should not be necessary but it did remove the excerpt from appearing right above the full version.  More of a band-aid but definitely a problem.

jmad

atcdomainsolutions  Not sure I'm following what you are saying...I'm talking about the font awesome icons in the iboxes...is that what you are talking about?

James B

Hi there, font awesome sometimes doesn't display if the site is in a subdomain. Do you have the site set within a subdomain and the url masked/forwarded?

If you're using some of the new font awesome icons which haven't been added to DMS yet, then see - http://usingpagelines.com/font-awesome-reference-guide/

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

jmad

@ James B  I don't have anything in subdomains.  Just using iboxes and selecting an icon from the list.  So I'll need to place that code from article into the CSS to make the ibox work?  Seems odd since they are displaying fine on Safari, Chrome, & Firefox just not on IE.

Rob

Hi jmad

It's possible the issue is an IE conflict. I have them working perfectly on my site in IE10 and we haven't had a flood of issues like yours.  This leads me to conclude that it must be localized to your IE10 installation. 

That said, it could be caused by an add-on, a setting or some toolbar.  Even a pop-up blocker could cause it. Can you disable all your IE extras and see if the issue resolves?  Also, make sure you don't have javascript blocked.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

jmad

Thanks for the help guys.  I'm thinking several of these issues might be related to my host so I'm going to move some things around and revisit these issues if necessary. 

Rob

Okay jmad. Let us know how things go.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

jmad

Danny

This problem apparently never resolved.  I actually just didn't use these on the site I was working on at the time, but now the issue has resurfaced as I want to use FA and some of the DMS sections that utilize it.  

Here is what I know.  The icon itself isn't displaying in Text boxes where I dropped in HTML nor is the icon displaying in the share sections.  The site is MistyOlsen dot com.  I've tested it on several browsers and haven't had any issues.  However, at the local office store, it apparently doesn't work.  The Google Fonts display correctly but not FA?  The site is set up with A Record and then CName pointed to same A Record.  Hosting is with Flywheel.  

Could this be just a firewall issue?  

Could you direct me to post(s) on how to load custom icons into a site?  I would just need but the basic icons so I suppose that I could just load them in as WPmedia and go that route (but would I need two images for each icon for hover...unless I just adjusted opacity).  Is that an acceptable/professional way to approach or should I handle them differently?  Photo images on the site are loading so I assume adding as media should work.   I thought I'd posted or read a post about adding icon fonts via style sheets/images folder but can't find it now. 

This may be unrelated but I was looking a purchasing a PC for testing and at the Microsoft store two of my sites with FA elements wouldn't load through firewall.  One on DMS2/Flywheel, one on another theme/WPE.  Two sites with out FA loaded fine.  I didn't make the connection until this issue was brought up.  Hmmm.

Danny

If you're indeed having an issue with Font Awesome, then it's an issue with Font Awesome and DMS. DMS no longer uses a customized version of FA, we simply include the script and fonts. So if this isn't working on a specific computer, then it's likely something on that computer. If the icons are not working on a specific browser then its the browser, which will mean you will need to speak to the FA support.

Please search our forums, before posting!

jmad

I'll talk to them.  I actually went and looked at the issue (at the store) I'm sure it's firewall related.  

However, what about the other parts of my question? (Edit..I found the post http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/34569-custom-icons-in-dms/ and will follow up there).  

Could you direct me to post(s) on how to load custom icons into a site?  I would just need but the basic icons so I suppose that I could just load them in as WPmedia and go that route (but would I need two images for each icon for hover...unless I just adjusted opacity).  Is that an acceptable/professional way to approach or should I handle them differently?  Photo images on the site are loading so I assume adding as media should work.   I thought I'd posted or read a post about adding icon fonts via style sheets/images folder but can't find it now. 

Danny

I've replied to your other topic regarding loading icons.

Please search our forums, before posting!