Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slsp

Flipper adding excerpt below the image

Slsp    0
Slsp

Wondered if anyone knows how I can get flipper to show excerpt text below the image in the post, I tried adding info in the excerpt part of the post page(backend) but (frontend) made flipper show a blank screen what I want to do is this... Image example can be viewed here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9p1q3djdwm7f379/postswithtext

James B    436
James B

Your download file comes up as a corrupt txt file, is it meant to be a videocast?

I would imagine you'd need to do this as a hook/filter and change the order of how the section is displayed.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

greenfly    230
greenfly

Can we have a link to your site please? 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

greenfly    230
greenfly

Can you add the relevant section to the page and then please let us know the page with the flipper section on it. Currently the page is 404

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

James B    436
James B

Hi Sarah

Add the following into the functions.php to either the base theme or the customize plugin

add_filter( 'pl_flipper_meta', 'the_excerpt', 'flipper_excerpt');
function flipper_excerpt ($more) {
        return '&hellip; <a href="'.get_permalink().'" rel="nofollow">[Continue Reading]</a>';
}

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

Slsp    0
Slsp

Brill thanks...

I just placed it into the the functions.php under...

// This makes the font available to the framework and the user via the admin panel.

add_filter('wp_nav_menu_items','be_menu_extras', 10, 2);

function flipper_excerpt ($more) {

return '&hellip; <a href="'.get_permalink().'" rel="nofollow">[Continue Reading]</a>';

}

...But its not working,

Do I place the code into Cool Carousel PL Section, flipper and google plug-in functions.php ? 

or is there somewhere else I can place the code once ?

Sso there's less cause for error, on my end ?

Danny    1,327
Danny

HI,

In order to use filters and actions i.e. hooks, you will need to use a child theme or the customize plugin. Both come with a functions.php file, this is where you add the code.

Do not add the code to the DMS functions.php file, add all hooks to your child theme/customize plugin functions.php file.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Slsp    0
Slsp

Man this stuff is a learning curve ! 

Okay will give it a bash. 

Danny    1,327
Danny

Yeah like anything new there is a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it you will be golden. Just don't let it wind you up and also check out our documentation here, I'm sure it will assist you.

http://docs.pagelines.com/

Please search our forums, before posting!

Rob    547
Rob

Excellent!  Very happy to read that.  And Danny's right.  Once you get past that first step, the rest is easy!

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

lmillslagle    0
lmillslagle

I added in:

add_filter('wp_nav_menu_items','be_menu_extras', 10, 2);

function flipper_excerpt ($more) {

}

And it worked perfectly, but now how do I adjust how much of an excerpt shows? Currently it shows about 6 lines of text under each thumbnail. How would I go about getting it to show 2 or 3 lines?

James B    436
James B

Hi there, I'm not sure if this will work but try editing the number of words in the postloop options on the blog page - http://screencast.com/t/OJXdx6ID as far as I know this is the same excerpt pulled in.

Otherwise you'll need to set a custom excerpt in each post with the exact amount of text you want to display - http://screencast.com/t/2X8CYzvX

James B

• Similar Content

• dreamsight
      By dreamsight+
      We only want the images and title mouse-over, not link/click to the actual post the title is from.
      Any ideas anyone?
      Thanks
    • Timothy
      By Timothy+
      I'm trying to find a way to display the full content of my posts on my posts page rather than the post excerpt. 
      I've tried using various plugins to create a custom excerpt with no success, so I'm guessing I'll need to make the change to the theme files. That being said I'm not able to find where I would make that change. In the past I've been able to replace <?php the_excerpt(); ?> with <?php the_content(); ?>, but I'm unable to locate this in the framework theme? Am I missing something here?
    • Queue-it
      By Queue-it+
      Hi,
      How can I remove the "next post" links below each post page? 
      https://queue-it.com/cdn-blog/
      Before we had a related post section, but I can't find it among any functions, widgets etc. 

• yemoonyah
      By yemoonyah+
      I just installed and added the Flipper section to my home page and it makes my navigation/menu bar items disappear.
      They do show up again when scrolling down and everything seems normal on the other pages.
      http://yemoonyah.com
      Thanks.

• king_kcm
      By king_kcm
      Is there any way to hide the excerpt in Flipper, and the navigation arrows?