Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark & Phil

1 Column Doesn't Exist?

Mark & Phil

We've just noticed that it doesn't seem to be possible to add just 1 column into a row via DMS. Here's a video that shows the dilemma we're having.

http://screencast.com/t/EqSZ4g8TIbft

Anyone have any ideas how we can make this happen?

Thanks,

Mark & Phil Crew

Danny

HI,

yeah I think the whole purpose of not having a 1 column is that it's simply far too thin to really house any content. Do you really need only one column ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

Mark & Phil

Understood, but would be good to have. For our use, we wanted one column to house an image. Its actually very practical for that scenario.

Riddle me this, is there a section that has absolutely no extra code in it? What we found is that floating an image left in a Text Box or Media Box still had padding, margins, etc that we had to 0 out.

Thanks!

James B

Hi there, all sections within DMS will have their own css applied to ensure they function correctly inside the layout and that they can be added as easily as possible, without the need to having to set multiple options for each one etc.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

Mark & Phil

Sure but there's no section that has absolutely no padding or margins applied to it?

Danny

Hi,

If you want to add an image, video, text, etc... with zero styling you will want to use a hook, see here for more information - http://docs.pagelines.com/advanced/hooks

You could also use custom CSS to remove all margins/padding.

Mark & Phil

No disrespect at ALL but thats kind of crazy guys. An HTML section with absolutely no extra styling should be one of the basic sections built into Pagelines. Any designer needs this to be able to style exactly as they want. 

We don't have time to learn hooks right now and make our own sections but if we find time we'll do this and add to the store.  

Danny
To be honest, I have the complete opposite opinion. For me, a section that offers no styling whatsoever would be crazy. We would get so many complaints from users saying why does zero style section have no margin or padding and how do we add margins and padding to it.

If you want to remove all styling i.e. padding, margins you could try Nicks Classy plugin - http://pagelinesdevcamp.com/2013/08/stay-classy-my-friends/

Mark & Phil

Thanks for your opinion Danny but for a web designer, an html box with 0 styling is essential because then we can mold it to what we need. Of course we can do this with the Media Box or Text Box but its just time consuming because we don't want to 0 out the styling on all of those.

We already using Nick's classy and Giroux's Groundwork - both get us about 80% of the way. Then the rest we have to figure out with firebug.

James B

Hi there, you could create your own custom blank section which you could install with zero styling, maybe using the the textbox as a template and changing the name of the section so the css which is usually applied to the textbox doesn't apply.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

Mark & Phil

Hey James, yeah, we are. Will make available soon (launching 2 sites this week and we're swamped).

Rob

If you have the Column applied to the page, you can add a TextBox, to which you may add a responsive grid.  In that responsive grid, you can create one column of single width.   I think it simply cannot be done dynamically.  Manually it must work to include 12 columns.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

designedinc

I also need to create a "1/12" column. Is there anyway around this?

Danny

Unfortunately, there is no way to have 1/12 at this moment in time, I have reported this to our issue tracker.

Mark & Phil

Thanks Danny! Really love how you guys are listening! Gotta say we're really excited about DMS and what we're able to create now in a fraction of the time. :)

Danny

Update:

Column 1/12 will be possible in a future update.

Mark & Phil

We wanted to say THANK YOU to the DMS developers! Having the 1/12 span is great! Thanks so much!

greenfly

Great isn't it? :) 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"