Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bfrye26

Trying to creat a page with full size header image

bfrye26    3
bfrye26

I have been working with DMS since it came out. It does almost everything I want to see in a themeing system. The only issue I have found is when trying to create a layout that has a full size featured image with the text coming over it slightly. I have achieved something close, although I am sure with some help I can get the full effect. 

So far my site looks like this: http://www.cgmagonline.com/game_review/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-review.html

I am trying to achieve a look that is more similar to this:  http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/29/4861080/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-review?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

If anyone has any ideas how I could do this that would be amazing!

James B    436
James B

Is it a static image you're looking to put there, or a feature image pulled from a post? Currently it looks like a post is being used.

DMS has a full width section you can place into the layout, then in the section options you can select to apply an image to entire area as a background, but this will only work with a static image you upload or add from the media libray. It won't pull from a post etc.

The other way to do it using the feature image would be to make the entire site full width, then use some css to bring in the page content under the image. Which would look like - http://screencast.com/t/DaBxessVtJ8

#pl_area676976 {

margin: auto;
    max-width: 970px;
    padding: 12px;
}

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

bfrye26    3
bfrye26

James B now the issue is how would I make the site all full width?

The featured image is collected from a shortcode since the built in one did not offer the flexibility we needed.

I am open to ideas to ensure it all looks good just not sure the best way to go about it

Danny    1,327
Danny

The simplest way would be to use James method. However, another option would be to use a hook, you could then use copy the HTML and CSS used by that site and see how it looks.

Please search our forums, before posting!

bfrye26    3
bfrye26

I have pagelines set to full width yet it is only doing the 920 or so pixles wide. What would be the best way to set DMS to be the 100% of the window?

greenfly    230
greenfly

have you dragged the edges of the editor grid outwards to increase the width? http://screencast.com/t/IgtCJRITsda5

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

bfrye26    3
bfrye26

it does not seem to want to let me expand it beyond the size it is now. It can be smaller just not bigger

greenfly    230
greenfly

can you send us an admin logon for your site to hello @ pagelines.com along with a link to this topic and we will take a look for you. Very Odd. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

bfrye26    3
bfrye26

Okay I just shot over the info to the email

greenfly    230
greenfly

I removed all your CSS to see if it was causing the issue - i then still couldn't change the width of the site.

You have WP Super Cache installed and active. You cannot make changes to your site with this active as by it's nature it will display cached versions of pages and style. You should disable this when editing your site and only use it when the site is fully live and no more changes are to be made. 

The only other explanation would be to disable all your 112 plugins. There is likely a conflict between these plugins. If you are not using some of the plugins anymore it is best to remove them. 

Also you have a warning message on your admin page regarding a plugin that needs to be uninstalled and replaced by a newer plugin 

bfrye26    3
bfrye26

Okay I tried deactivating plugins, still no luck. Expanding size beyond the 900 such is not working. Is there another method to make the top part larger width?

greenfly    230
greenfly

Make sure you clear the caching plugin too. When you have done this and plugins are disabled remove your CSS and paste it into your text editor as backup. 

Then see if you can change the width. 

bfrye26    3
bfrye26

Okay I have tried that, still no luck. Is there a way to backup the settings and starting from scratch to try and get around this issue?

James B    436
James B

Hi there, in DMS you can save all the settings by going to the DMS control panel>global options>import/export. Make sure you also export your posts/pages via the wp admin>tools>export option or using a plugin like backup buddy etc.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

• Similar Content

• lbhansen
      By lbhansen+
      I am not a web pro and I've been away from DMS for more then six months so I'm almost at square one. This may be a general question but I happen to be working with the Whitehousepro 6 theme.
      Where is the header image defined. I want to replace it with my company logo. By "header image" I am referring to the PageLines leaf with "WhiteHousePro 6" as an image the has an underlying link to the site's home page.
      (Am I asking this question in the right place? Are there some fundamentals I should learn about how to properly use the forum?)
      Thanks.
    • rijans
      By rijans
      Currently I am using Flipper to show featured posts right now. 
      http://screencast.com/t/XidMffDqWLSm

The problem with flipper is
      1. Feels like heavy which is slow to load in the eyes of google page speed insight and on mobile device.
      2. I only want to show two featured posts like in the screenshot. But its has lowest 5 in settings.
      3. Hide this section on mobile isn't working.

Which is the best section to show two featured posts just like flipper's static style in my screenshot?

Or any way to show only two or three posts in total number in flipper?
    • backwoodsmom
      By backwoodsmom
      The featured image appears twice in a single post. Once as the featured image, and then again as the 'thumbnail'. However, if I click the box to hide the thumbnail, it also hides it in my blog roll page. How do I hide only the extra picture in the post page and leave the blog roll images intact?
      Sample: http://backwoodsmom.com/2012/08/this-blog-is-not-real/

Thanks,
      Keri 
    • Romanesco
      By Romanesco
      Guy,
      What is the default featured image size and is there an option to change it to a custom one?
    • FionaFell
      By FionaFell
      Hi Pagelines Team, 

I'm adding blog posts to www.leadstoclients.com.au

But would love to place the image between the 'title' and the 'content'. 

I'm seeing these options: http://screencast.com/t/c1GggUigw

But none of them seem to place the image where I hope it can be displayed. 

Any tips on how I can get the image to appear here: http://screencast.com/t/F39iUNuq8Nd5 would be awesome. 

Thanks for your help,

Fiona