Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rztoler

Same Post Showing Everywhere

rztoler    2
rztoler

I'm sure I'll feel ridiculous when someone points out the obvious here, but I'm asking anyways...

I have this post on my very raw DMS testing website, http://rztoler.com/2014MO/?p=19

I started to add other projects until I realized that all post links are going to the same, original post. So if I go to http://rztoler.com/2014MO/?p=13, or http://rztoler.com/2014MO/?p=80 for example, it takes me to the same post as above??? The only thing that changes is the categories ("services" on my site), so it's telling me something is being read right, but why is it showing the same content? Have i misunderstood some type of templating function or something...

Really my first serious site with DMS, which will be my personal site... I'd like to understand this before moving forward. Thanks.

-Robert Toler

rztoler    2
rztoler

Martin Davies

Any ideas here? I haven't had any issues in the DMS until now, but this dumb thing has me stumped, which I thought could be answer easily.

I don't mean to bug you guys, but I'm not sure where to go if I can't get answers here. You told me to post here instead of send email. I'm not sure what my $20 a month pays for, but I'm guess just the right to use the application, not support, no?

I suppose I'll install another DMS somewhere else and see if it reproduces the issue. I'm sure this is something I'm missing, hence me slight frustration. Make it great Martin. Thanks again for the help!

-Robert Toler

James B    436
James B

Hi there, looking in the source code for the two pages you've linked it seems like you're creating posts but them editing them on the front end completely as if they were pages.

If making posts then the content for posts is written in the wp-admin area>posts>create new post, fill in the post info and publish etc. The post template will need to have the postloop/content section present on the front page so it pulls the post content (what you've just written in the wp admin area) in from the loop. The post template will reflect the same on all posts, just the content within the postloop area will change from post to post etc. As you've placed only sections on the post template, like textbox etc and there's no post content being pulled in, that's what's being reflected on each page as it's saved to the post template.

The process you're using is good for pages, that's exactly how you'd create pages but posts are more for blogging etc. To create templates using only sections from the drag and drop that are static, you'd need to create them as a page.

In regard to the forum enquiry, when you post your submission will go into the moderating queue which gets answers in order of how the requests come in. The moderator team are all on different rota's in different locations internationally so most of the time they'll be one of us online, unfortunately we're unable to guarantee response times as it depends on the volume of requests which come in during the shift. But one of the team will respond as soon as possible or request for more information to assist in troubleshooting the problem etc :-)

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

rztoler    2
rztoler

James,

Thanks so much. I get what you're saying completely. I was trying to use posts for my projects so they had categories and tags for search, organization and navigation. As you seen in the linked examples, I wanted the orange gradient image in the background to be different for every project to add partial branding from the client. Sounds like this isn't something I can do really. Can I design/template post types/layouts??? Is there an extension or something? Or is this something that would require an outside developer? Or is this even a possibility in wordpress? Any recommendations?

Thanks again. I knew it was something dumb... Hopefully I can find a work around. Thanks.

-Robert Toler

Danny    1,327
Danny

Hi,

Not entirely sure what it is you're trying to do, as you have no PostLoop section on the page you linked.

You can have a custom background on all your single posts, but will require custom CSS.

So what you will want to do is create the posts you're going to create, then on each of your posts, find the post id (in the body tag) and then use this in your custom CSS to give that posts content background a unique gradient, color or image.

Please search our forums, before posting!

• Similar Content

• TallTree
      By TallTree+
      Hi,
      I am trying to remove the sidebar areas from my child theme (pagelines.com) from the post pages on a site:
      https://staging4.talltreemusicfestival.com/2017/grand-analog/
      The content is all the way to the left and very small, and the two sidebar areas are taking up a lot of space.
      What I'm after is content to the left, taking up most of the space, and then a small sidebar width on the right for widgets.
      I've tried selecting 'read width content' and 'full width content' in the edit screen for the WP content section, but it doesn't change.  If I try to move the sidebars (1 or 2) to the left, it doesn't change.
      If I select the pagelines framework theme (not child), the two sidebars go away when not selecting them in the edit screen..
      Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
      Thanks in advance.
      -Matt

• Queue-it
      By Queue-it+
      I've created a new post category "Success stories" with Custom Post type UI. (in order to have a different layout for a different post category - blog post one layout, success stories another layout).
      New category "success stories" are "detached" from all the other posts, so they have a different layout, but the problem is that all of the success stories are also having the same exact content.
      So whenever I edit content (e.g. change body text) on one of success story posts, it also changes the content (body text) for all other Success story category posts. 

Question: Is there a way to retain this separate category with it's own layout, and have a different content for each individual post? I'm using Pagelins templates. 
       Thanks in advance.
    • Queue-it
      By Queue-it+
      Hi,
      Is is possible to have different layouts for different Post categories? We have Blog posts, News posts and Case studies that all are posts, but is it possible to differentiate their layouts?
      So far when I change a post layout it affects all Post type pages. Could it be done somehow with creating a separate template? 
      Examples below
      https://queue-it.com/news/
      https://queue-it.com/blog/

• Timothy
      By Timothy+
      I'm trying to find a way to display the full content of my posts on my posts page rather than the post excerpt. 
      I've tried using various plugins to create a custom excerpt with no success, so I'm guessing I'll need to make the change to the theme files. That being said I'm not able to find where I would make that change. In the past I've been able to replace <?php the_excerpt(); ?> with <?php the_content(); ?>, but I'm unable to locate this in the framework theme? Am I missing something here?
    • Skip
      By Skip+
      Hello
      Anyone know why Posts will not appear on a website?
      We can see them all in the admin console but the website with the page for the posts - https://www.trueblueauctions.com/articles/ shows the titles but when you click on an article they do not appear.  Example: https://www.trueblueauctions.com/phone-call-estate/  Notice the article content is not present.  
      It is this way for all posts on our website.
      Anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong and how to fix it?
      Thank you for your thoughtful consideration.
      Wishing you all the best of Providence.
      Skip