Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sethoof

DMS Update Trashed my iBoxes

sethoof

Not sure what happened, but right after I updated the DMS theme as requested in wordpress, all of my iboxes got mixed up and some are gone.  I was using the same page template for all the pages and am not sure what happened. Is there aynway to get these back or will I need to redo all of them?

http://operationfitsula.flywheelsites.com

un: flywheel

pw: fistula

sethoof

Also, is there anyway to prevent this from happening again? 

onlyamd4000

This happened to me with ibox and quickslider.  Looks like there were many major changes to dms for the better so I can deal with it.  Next time maybe things will transition a bit smoother.

greenfly

Hello onlyamd4000 - please could you start your own topic with this info (if you haven't already) and we will pick it up from there. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

greenfly

Hello @sethoof 

Have you tried reloading the templates after updating the DMS? 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

sethoof

No, I have just created seperate templates for each seperate page and have tried to remember what I had written for my iboxes.  So I can't try to reload them now.  I would have been hesitant to reload a template anyway because templates saved all the images,text, etc from the original page I created when I saved the template. If I had reloaded it would have wiped out all my stuff anyway (at least it would have before the update).  So I would just use it as a starting point to make a new page. Now I have saved each page as its own template in the hopes to be spared from any new updates wiping me out.

If you guys are gonna roll out something that can make a mess like this, it would be nice to have some heads up so we could save what we have before updating. I have wasted the last couple hours trying to recreate the work I did on Friday and I am under a tight deadline as it is.

greenfly

Hello Sethoof 

I have also updated a number of sites to the latest version recently and seen no effect to iBoxes. I haven't seen anyone else reporting this but i am looking into it. 

sethoof

Ok, thanks.  Looks like the guy above (@onlyamd4000) had the same problem.  Please let me know if it is some configuration I have that opens me up to this instability. I can't have the site die with every update...

Rob Thomas

On the last site I updated, the first iBox on my homepage lost all of the text and was replaced with the default garbage (lorem ipsum) text. The image in the iBox was fine. (A second iBox, both image and text, on the homepage was unaffected.) I updated another site and it had no effect on the iBoxes, but I wasn't using any iBoxes on the homepage. 

It might be useful to those troubleshooting this issue to find out if this is a homepage only problem or if it is happening elsewhere on people's sites. 

sethoof I build text intensive sites (for higher education). I have found that it is best to keep back-ups of any text I use so I can just copy and paste if I have to.

sethoof

Thanks, Rob.  I am learning that the hard way.  I think its one of the downsides of editing on the front end.  It doesnt save what I write in any post or page that I can see. So we are now copy and pasting everything. But this is happening on pages off the landing page for me.  I am also not being able to keep any of the images. or if the image and the text are ok, when I click in to edit the ibox, its empy.  So I am not sure where this stuff is saving and am not feeling particularly secure with the site I need to launch later this week...Hope the pageline team gets the stability on dms up to where it was with 2.0...

balfred1345

Same problem here. Updated. Lost content in all iBoxes on all pages except for one page. No iBoxes on home page. 

Would like to know where iBoxes store information and how to get it relinked.

Was supposed to bring site live today. Not likely going to happen unless get help soon. Client is going to be unhappy. 

James B

Which version of DMS are you using currently? The 1.1 version did have a problem/bug with saving the image urls from the media library, this was fixed with 1.1.1

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

Rob Thomas
James B

This happened to me in 1.1.1

I'll have to go back in and recreate the missing content. PITA.

Rob Thomas
Okay, it got better and worse.

The better: by hitting refresh boxes on iBox content areas I was able to get almost all of the content to magically reappear. It took doing it more than once.

Then I made the mistake of editing some of my content. All of the iBox media images disappeared. There were 8. I tried repeatedly to re-add the media and ... It wouldn't take.

Total waste of time.

Since multiple people are having this problem due to 1.1.1 update, can we get an eta on a fix?

Oh, i almost left the best part off: the iboxes were all showing up correctly in the visual editor. All there. Fine. Perfecto. They were not showing up, none of the iBox content was, when logged out of visual editor and using either chrome or safari. Eventually, hitting the refresh buttons on key iboxes across the site got those ones to all reappear (outside the visual editor I.e.on the live inter tubular webez. Then the group of 8 kept the text, but after I began editing them, deleted all images.

Really, this is getting to be too much.

Rob

Rob, where can I see these iBoxes?

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

balfred1345

James B -- After upgrading to 1.1.1, I lost the content in all of my iBoxes except for those on one page. Had same experiences as Rob Thomas -- I could see all of the content while logged-in and editing. So, I did quite a lot of work not knowing that there was a problem. Once I logged out, I saw there were a number of issues (which I posted in another support thread). When I logged back in to the site, the iBox content was gone.

Rob If you'd like to take a look: http://whub34.webhostinghub.com/~videoh6/cidev2.com/recordings/there-is-no-rose/

Rob

@balfred1345  I can see in Firefox and Chrome you now have basic iBoxes set up in a left column. Have you tried customizing one to see if it saves?

Rob

Rob Thomas

I can't give you any ETA because I don't know when our developers will be available to discuss this issue or work on it.  I know they're working on another amazing improvement, so I've not seen them.

balfred1345

Rob the problem is that I've lost the content that was in all of my iBoxes except for on one page. I want my content back so I don't have to try to reproduce the work I've already done. I have tried refreshing etc., but the content seems to be lost. Is there any way to relink the iBox with the content that was in there before the 1.1.1 update?

balfred1345

Rob I'm bringing the site live today, so I had to redo the iBoxes, so there is no longer just the generic content for you to see. 

But, this release brings up significant reliability issues. If a x.x.1 release causes data loss, can we rely on PL in the future to protect our content when making changes to code?

Yes, we all need to backup before upgrades, which by the way I did. The problem was I completed two days of work after updating while logged in to the site. It wasn't until I logged out that any problems showed up.

Not a happy PL customer today.

Rob Thomas
Rob it's super unfortunate, but as you know I have 400 students who depend on me and I haven't had any time to even look on here. In my case, I rebuilt everything I needed to for three different sites (all of them had content disappear on upgrade). I have a third site that I need to deal with and upgrade and I'm terrified it'll be the same issues. Unfortunately, if I don't have time to eve check the forums, I don't have time to trouble shoot it for you. That's just how my job is. I too have been pretty frustrated because it has become dysfunctional to use DMS. I swear we went from the chaos of the initial release to a very stable platform (fairly quickly) and then back to a very unstable platform with the past few updates. I'm on the verge of ending my subscription because it's become so unusable. I can't use a product that doesn't work and/or is constantly having basic problems.

Danny

I understand what you're saying Rob, but we can't replicate the issue on our end. I updated several sites with iBoxes and when I viewed the site after the update, the iBoxes were still in place with their content intact.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Erwan

Hi there,

1. I suspect some issues mentioned here are linked to this other thread: "Iboxes Not Using Media Library Images".

2. At the time of writing, no relevant issues on the GitHub tracker for neither of these two threads or I'm blind ;) Danny just said in the topic mentioned above he'll report it.

tpldrew

I too had this problem without the DMS upgrade. Just migrating the stuff from staging server to production results in the exact same symptom.

- Andrew

• Similar Content

• stijnxo
      By stijnxo+
      Is there a way to disable the responsive function of your iBoxes?
      I do not want all iBoxes underneath each other on mobile, is there a way to fix columns or group boxes?
      I use them for small links and want them to stay next to each other, see attachment
      Please let me know.

• Audun MB
      By Audun MB+
      I've added a number option (ie the first box has a 1 next to or above, second box has 2, etc) to iBoxes in DMS (as a custom section), and I'd like that for PL5 Boxes as well. Adding it for iBox was quite easy:
      First this: 'opts' => array( 'icon' => array( 'name' => __( 'Icon Font', 'pagelines' ) ), 'count' => array( 'name' => __( 'Counter', 'pagelines' ) ), 'image' => array( 'name' => __( 'Images', 'pagelines' ) ), 'numb' => array( 'name' => __( 'Number', 'pagelines' ) ), 'text' => array( 'name' => __( 'Text Only, No Media', 'pagelines' ) ) And then this } elseif( $media_type == 'numb' ){ $background = ($color) ? sprintf('<span class="invert-icon" style="background-color: %s;"></span>', $color) : ''; $media_html = sprintf( '<i class="iii icon iboks-number" style="%s">%s</i>%s', $text_color, $count, $background ); } And some CSS (though I used the style for icon mostly). iBox already did know which number the box had in the sequence, so adding the number was quite simple. 
      The Boxes code, and PL5 code in general, is a bit mor complex with javascript (with Knockout) and php, and some CSS cheats. It took me a while to figure out how it works, and I'm not sure I quite grasp it yet.
      Adding a number option to the media array is the same as iBox:
      array( 'key' => 'ibox_media', 'type' => 'select', 'opts' => array( 'icon' => array( 'name' => __( 'Icon Font', 'pl-section-boxes' ) ), 'count' => array( 'name' => __( 'Counter', 'pl-section-boxes' ) ), 'boxnumb' => array( 'name' => __( 'Numbering', 'pl-section-boxes' ) ), 'image' => array( 'name' => __( 'Images / SVG', 'pl-section-boxes' ) ), 'text' => array( 'name' => __( 'Text Only, No Media', 'pl-section-boxes' ) ) ), 'default' => 'icon', 'label' => __( 'Select iBox Media Type', 'pl-section-boxes' ), ), In the section template I'll add a line for the boxnumber. In addition I have to add variuous boxnumb classes in the build.less file to make it hidden by default and style it.
      function section_template(){ ?> <script type="text/html" id="boxes-template"> <a class="boxes" data-bind="class: boxclass() + ' pl-col-sm-' + $root.ibox_cols(), plhref: link" > <div class="boxes-pad" data-bind="class: 'pl-control-'+ $root.ibox_format()"> <div class="boxes-media media-left"> <span class="the-boxes-media pl-animation pl-appear" data-bind="class: 'media-'+$root.ibox_media(), style: { color: color, width: $root.image_width() + 'px', opacity: $root.image_opacity}"> <div class="pl-image" data-bind="plbg: image, class: $root.image_format"></div> <span class="pl-counter" data-bind="pltext: count"></span> <span class="pl-boxnumb" data-bind="pltext: ?numbervalue?"></span> <i class="boxes-icon pl-icon" data-bind="class: 'pl-icon-'+icon()"></i> </span> </div> <div class="boxes-text media-right"> <h3 class="boxes-title" data-bind="pltext: title"></h3> <div class="boxes-desc" data-bind="pltext: text"></div> </div> </div> </a> </script> Where I'm stuck is how to get the number to supply to pltext. Since the boxes are numbered in the configuration panel (showing as Item 1, Item 2, ...) I guess there is something in the code that could give me the box number, but what would that be? Finding it in the pure php code of iBox was quite easy, but the Javascript-Knockout.js-PHP code in PL5 isn't that easy to read. 
      I realise that I'm developer terrority now, but I'd appreciate any help. I guess this could be useful for more people if get it to work. Maybe it should be added as a standard option? "X things you need to know" or similar is staple website content and the Boxes section is ideal for that with numbers. On our website the "X things you need to know"-pages is half our traffic. 
    • laka74
      By laka74+
      Dear support,
      I'm having problems using the iBox - can't change anything or delete it ?!
      http://seriousplay.training/
      Best
      regards
      Lasse Kramer
    • Audun MB
      By Audun MB+
      I'd like to have the images in iBox to look different with the following CSS. This works when manipulating the CSS with Inspect element in Chrome, but I can't get it to work as a class. Here's the class:
      .imagecontain {     border-radius: 1px;     background-size: contain;     background-repeat: no-repeat;       } This is from my style.less in the child theme. I applied the class to the iBox with custom class option, though nothing happens. How to fix that? How do I target only the div with the image in with CSS?
    • dchetson
      By dchetson+
      I am trying to edit the text in an iBox but every time I attempt to make the change, it doesn't take. Website is www.chetson.com.
      Thanks!