Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Olly

Help with FTP in MAMP on OSX Mavericks

Olly    2
Olly

I appreciate this question is not specifically about Pagelines itself, but I could really use some help with this.

I have setup MAMP for doing Pagelines DMS local development on my MBPro running OSX Mavericks. However, when I come to try and install themes and plugins in the Wordpress back end it requests me for my FTP server information, saying: "To perform the requested action, WordPress needs to access your web server. Please enter your FTP credentials to proceed. If you do not remember your credentials, you should contact your web host."

Can any one tell me how to set this up?

I tried following the instructions here: http://osxdaily.com/2011/09/29/start-an-ftp-or-sftp-server-in-mac-os-x-lion/

I entered my hostname as 'localhost' and the username/password as my local account username and password. It doesn't work -  just says "Unable to locate WordPress Root directory."

Is it possible to get this working, or does everything have to be done manually, by copying plugins etc. to the wp-content sub-folders.

Simon    247
Simon

Its because the server is using a different username.. probably apache or http... change to your username/group in the settings.

Olly    2
Olly

Excuse my ignorance, but which settings? Wordpress? System preferences?

Simon    247
Simon

Excuse my ignorance, but which settings? Wordpress? System preferences?

in MAMP, you can set what users the processes run under, you want your username and group

Olly    2
Olly

Ah I see! thanks. Should I change both 'Owner' and 'Group' to my username in MAMP settings? 

(This is venturing outside my comfort zone a little!)

Olly    2
Olly

Ok I changed everything to my username  - which didn't work - and then changed everything to _www - which did! Thank you so much. I have been trying to figure this out on and off for months! I can't believe it was so simple to fix! Always the way...

Now I just need to figure out how to migrate a completed site to a live site and my workflow is good to go!

Andrew    201
Andrew

Glad you got it working! 

Olly    2
Olly

Unfortunately, all is not perfect. In fixing the problem above, I am now required to enter my system password every time I edit a local file. Is this normal? Is there any way to avoid this? It is really not ideal if I am going to be editing large numbers of local files. I imagine it is caused by 'www' now being the owner of the folder rather than my personal account.

Danny    1,327
Danny

Here are my settings - http://d.pr/i/Diyi

Whenever I edit a file, I have no issue whatsoever. If you're still having difficulties, you will need to contact MAMP support.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Olly    2
Olly

Thanks Danny. Are you able to download plugins etc. (i.e. use FTP) in the Wordpress back-end using these settings? Do you have to enter your system password when editing the website files?

Danny    1,327
Danny

Wordpress on MAMP works exactly the same as it does on a live site, meaning you can download plugin(s) and install them via Wordpress plugin installer like you can on a live Wordpress website.

You can also download the plugin to your desktop, extract the zip and then add the plugins folder to your local plugins folder in your Wordpress installation directory.

If you need to enter your username and password every time you edit a file, then you have a permissions issue. I recommend you contact the MAMP support.

Please search our forums, before posting!

• Similar Content

• flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • Dispabe
      By Dispabe
      I guess I have to go to FTP and modify a CSS file or something.
      But you know what folder or path?

Can you help me?
      I think I'm working with child theme
    • gabelloyd
      By gabelloyd
      I've Googled for the past hour on this, but I feel like this a really n00b question.  

Background: This is not my first website, but first Pagelines.
      Platform:  WP 3.8
      Theme:  DMS
      Pagelines:  free
      Local setup:  MAMP, php 5.5.3
      Process of "loading files" on my local environment:  Drag theme folders into the "wp-content/themes" folder.  (this is how I work locally without problem, usually)

Goal:  Install DMS Theme for a local working environment, add a child theme.

I've downloaded the installed the DMS theme (free).  At first, I just loaded this to an existing project.  When I did not see the DMS in the Appearance> Themes area, I thought "Well, maybe the existing installation is conflicting with it?".  

I loaded the site to a test server and I was able to load the theme using the "upload a .zip file" method (not loading the file using my FTP client directly into the themes folder).  This works.  Hm.

I decided that I should try installing the DMS locally on a fresh install of WP.  Installed on a new database, new theme folder, again the DMS theme is not recognized.  Hm.  So, I loaded the base child theme I found on Github:  https://github.com/bearded-avenger/nicks-base-theme by copying these files into my themes folder, and THAT showed up (but of course is saying that it's parent theme 'dms' is not found).  

I'm stumped.  Can I not drag theme folders into the 'wp-content/themes/' folder for local installation?  Did I miss something in the documentation about working locally?  

Thanks for your help!

• Olly
      By Olly
      I am running MAMP PRO for local development. After considerable headaches (see my other post!), I have setup a local development environment at a special local domain name: www.mysite-localdev.com:8888

The live site is located at www.mysite.com

My question is, how can I use the Pagelines store in my local environment? I obviosly don't want to activate the local devlopemnt site address (www.mysite-localdev.com:8888), only the live site address, but I can't use the live site locally. If I activate it, does that use up one of my six product activations? If so, how can I get access to the store when developing locally without activating?

Is the only way to do this, to use the same address for the local development site, as the live site (pushed local via the HOSTS file)?
    • ashbybp
      By ashbybp
      Hi, 

I've posted about this a few times since my site is inaccessible at present. The site can be viewed when I'm not logged in; but, as soon as I log in as admin it loads and loads and loads and loads... Here's what I've done:

deactivated all plug-ins finally had the correct theme updated (Sophistique theme update zip was actually the then current version) - updated using wordpress tried to re-install 1.1.1 through wordpress (failed) Called my host (GoDaddy) to confirm there were no uploading issues on their end. (There wasn't.) re-installed WP to a downgraded version using ftp (No love.) downloaded and re-installed WP 3.7 using ftp uninstalled 1.1.1. and downgraded to an earlier version using ftp - this actually let my site load. However, I couldn't make any alterations to the site; I could only 'view' the editing bar at the bottom of the screen. (Another user has similar issues. See forum post by @altonc). re-downloaded and re-installed 1.1.1. using ftp - but didn't activate Sophistique. I couldn't load my site when logged in.  re-activated Sophistique (just because I didn't want viewers to see a more muddled site than what it is presently) My site doesn't cache if anyone is interested the url is http://www.ashby-bp.com the error says it has something to do with jquery according to the element inspection on google chrome.  I don't know what else to try here folks. I'm frustrated beyond all measure, and starting to get angry. For two days now I've been back and forth between the forum and GoDaddy and I still can't get my site to work. I'm not a developer. I'm pretty new at this, actually. But I've desperately tried everything I can do.  :growl:

Some help would be very much appreciated. 

Regards,
      Mary