Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eholland7080

DMS Zip Install

eholland7080

Hello

I need to find DMS 1.0.4 so I went to https://github.com/pagelines/DMS/releases and downloaded it from there.  If gave me a file named

DMS-1.0.4.zip.  I renamed the file to dms.zip because that has been the name of the file in the past.  Went to Themes -> Upload and chose the file.  Then I receive this:

Install Error!

PageLines DMS must be installed in a folder called 'dms' to work with child themes and extensions.

Current path: /home/glassman/public_html/10252013/wp-content/themes/DMS-1.0.4

How do I not get this error when using installs from https://github.com/pagelines/DMS/releases

Thanks

Eric

mistrmint

Maybe try ftp. Either upload the zip and extract if you have that option, or upload the folder to themes via ftp.

eholland7080

Hi Mampoerboer

Tried that and unfortunately got the same error message.

THanks

E

mistrmint

I'm having major issues with basically everything right now. Updated to 1.1 and everything broke. Back to 1.0.4 and all child themes cannot be activated.

Shall I do dropbox of 1.0.4 for you?

Andrew

The above error is thrown when your DMS folder is installed in a folder names something OTHER than 'dms'

Plugins and extensions assume this is the name of the DMS folder, that's why its required.

eholland7080

Thanks arpowers

I understand what the error means and I understand how to manually fix it.  What I don't understand is why a user of this product has to manually change the name of the directory from themes\dms-1.0.4 to themes\dms.  Yes that does make the error go away but if I download a zip file of a previous version and install it in the traditional way that I have rename the directory via FTP.

As a test I extracted the DMS-1.0.4.zip file on my MAC and as expected it created a directory named DMS-1.0.4

As stated above, I even renamed the zip file from DMS-1.0.4.zip to dms.zip before I uploaded via the traditional manner and it still created a themes\dms-1.0.4 directory structure.

I understand DMS required themes\dms for everything to work smoothly and I understand how to manually work around this, but it would be nice if a user could download any version from github, install it in the traditional way (wordpress->themes) and not have to jump over a hurdle (albeit a tiny hurdle) to make things work.

Just an idea

Show stopper, no, inconvenient, just a little. 

Thanks for your feedback and your help.  Hope you're having a great day

Eric

James B

Hi Eric

As there are different versions of DMS on github at any one time (Free, Bleeding edge, Pro etc) they all can't be called the same file name, so in order to upload into the correct path the file name needs to be edited once downloaded.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

eholland7080

Hi James

Thank you for your help.  That does make sense.  Just an FYI, as stated above, after I downloaded the zip file I did change the name of the zip to dms.zip.  After installing it via Wordpress->Themes it still automatically created the directory structure with the original incorrect file name (\themes\DMS-1.0.4\).  I'm sure I am probably doing something wrong with the renaming process.  I do know what to do to fix......sorry to bother and take your time away from bigger issues.  You can close this.

Thank you and hope you all are having a wonderful day!

Eric

Rob

Eric,

If you FTP into your site, to wp-content/themes, if you see anything there named dms, delete it.

Unzip your renamed dms.zip file on your computer. It's possible the file within it is named DMS-1.0.4, but more likely it's named dms.

Make sure that you rename the saved file to dms if that's not its name.

Upload the dms folder to wp-content/themes/ and it should work just fine.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur