Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

welcome

Child Theme

welcome

Hi,

I believe I've read all of the posts on Child Theme, but still have a few questions.

Do I need to install a Child Theme?

If so how do I do it?  I downloaded Nicks base theme master -  is this correct? 

Where does it get uploaded to? Themes folder-Under DMS? Does it have to be renamed or changed in any way? 

Finally, I would activate it over DMS in Themes?

Thanks

welcome

I need to add that I have Pagelines Customize Plugin which says it functions like a child theme.

Jake

Hi welcome - You don't have to use a child theme unless you are planning on editing any core files (like, for instance, making your own personal changes to functionality of one of the sections.) In fact, since you are using the customize plugin, you're able to make changes to the styling and functions.php without the need for a child theme.

That said, to answer your question about how to use one if you choose. You would simply upload it like any other theme and yes, you would activate the child theme as opposed to DMS itself. You will still need to have DMS uploaded into your theme folder to make it work, it just wouldn't be the activated theme.

Have you searched the forums yet or checked out the DMS user docs?

PageLines geek, blogging at MyUntangledLife.com

welcome

Thanks, 

Can you clarify a few things.  

Pro Tools - Are options like cloning?

Customize Plugin is to add CSS and is accessed via Plugins - Editor 

CSS can be added via Customize Plugin or the Custom Code Tab when working on site?

Rob

I must admit that I haven't used Pro Tools yet, but I don't believe it has anything to do with cloning. However, to answer your other two questions, PageLines Customize Plugin can be used to add CSS and yes, it is accessed via Plugins > Editor.  CSS may also be added in the Custom Code tab in DMS Toolbar.  Either works exactly the same.

The use of either is optional, and some prefer one versus the other.  You can use a child theme, but that's not necessary, as Jake said.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur