Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bhowton

Fixed Navbar on Mobile Screen

bhowton

I have a fixed navbar enabled for my site (hairydogreview.com). It works great on a desktop browser, but when I load the site in a tablet or mobile browser, anything that requires the pinch and zoom technique to read text, the bar seems to resist the pinch, floating distinct above the page rather than narrowing or growing with it. Maybe I'm confused about what responsive really means, but it seems like there's an option I'm missing that would circumvent the whole pinch and zoom thing and give me (maybe) that little button with the three horizontal bars, which we've come to know means menu. Is there a tick box I missed? 

Jake

Hi bhowton - This http://d.pr/i/8H6H is how it looks on my HTC One Android phone and DMS is behaving as it should in this regard. Is there something different you were expecting or seeing on your end?

Have you searched the forums yet or checked out the DMS user docs?

PageLines geek, blogging at MyUntangledLife.com

bhowton

Jake, Thanks for the reply. This is quite precisely what I was hoping to see. I've been having an issue (at least with Chrome for iOS) where the site wasn't responsive and have been meaning to write a post for a while. I updated to v1.1 and didn't test to see if it made a difference but assumed that the responsive issue remained a problem. I'm glad to see it fixed. But this raises a new concern. Now that I see my site width scaled down to the width of my phone, I'm wondering if there's a way to make the font sizes responded to scale also.

Jake

Hi bhowton - The fonts should scale up as well but I think they may be having an issue due to the ad code. I was helping someone yesterday who was having a mobile browser issue that we think we tracked down to being a result of their banner ad not being fully responsive and as such it sort of changed the way the site reacted. I can tell you that when I pinched a bit to play with the view, I didn't have any problem reading. 

bhowton

Jake, Google Adsense causes too many problems, from their JS to being non-responsive. Unfortunately one cannot change their code without violating their ToC.

On another note, I noticed on the mobile site that the fixed navbar is not really fixed. It acts just like a normal element on the site, disappearing when I scroll down. Is this how it should behave?

Jake

Sorry to hear about AdSense, one would think they will have to step up their game eventually as more and more users run into this very type of issue.

But as far as the menu question, yes, in the responsive mode even the fixed nav renders in this manner. I'm not aware of any functionality to have it mimic the desktop behavior and honestly I think it may be too distracting on smaller devices. All in all, at least on my phone your site is looking very good and behaving as it should!