Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

space57

How to set/reverse ordering with Post Nav?

space57

Currently have post tiles set up to work with descending order for posts. It goes from top to bottom in chronology. Post Nav seems to work the opposite. Which is bad because on the first tile the post nav shows no option to the right, which is the direction for forward in the stack. Is there a way to reverse/rewire the order of the Post Nav?

Danny

Hi,

What do you mean by tile ? You have wrote it more than once, so not sure if you're meaning title or in fact tile ?

Can you provide a link to the site in question please, so we can take a closer look.

Please search our forums, before posting!

space57

Sure, the link is dsrstudio.com

What I mean by tile is the image tiles on the home page. It uses another plugin that pulls from posts, called Post Tiles. 

Rob

Hi, first, I note that you're using Framework 2.4.3, when the latest version is 2.4.4.  You can get it from your account at http://www.pagelines.com/launchpad. Or, optionally, here: https://github.com/pagelines/PageLines-Framework

The post order is controlled by WordPress, not Framework.  Your plugin's order of display should be set via its settings. If not, I'd recommend contacting the plugin developer as we can't support 3rd party plugins.

There are plugins that will let you organize posts in WP in reverse order.  What implications that would have for your plugin I couldn't say, but your tile plugin's author would probably know.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

space57

It seems like you don't quite understand what I'm asking. Post Nav is part of pagelines. It's not a plugin. It's a widget that exists in PL. One that seems to work in the opposite manner from what makes sense—the back and next affordances are flipped. In other words, if you begin in the most recent post, the next one in chronological succession is located to the left, and there is nothing on the right. Typically next would be located on the right and back (reverse order in the stack) is on the left. Also, since this is a nav for specific categories (work items, and not blog items) how can I exclude specific categories from the nav structure? Where are the settings located for this feature?

Rob

I would have to respectfully disagree.

The order of display in PostNav is dependent upon the time and date that a post is published.  This is a well used section that has been used and tested for years.  It picks up the date of the earlier post (left) and later post (right). 

Can you show us a screenshot of the posts in Dashboard > Posts > All Posts with their dates?   From all I can discern in your tile plugin, it is displaying in first in order, adding tiles at the top for the most recent posts. That would explain why the PostNav order appears backwards.  If the top most (left) tile is the last post, then there's going to be nothing on the right in PostNav to display, and only a most recent post (left) would be seen. 

Thus it appears PostNav is correct, and your tile plugin is also correct, but is not displaying as you assume.  The first post in your plugin's history is going to be the bottom, right-most on page 2, and it's moving forward by adding tiles moving upwards.  Most tiling systems work that way.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

space57

Hm. Well, conventions are always debatable. In my mind, newest should be first, older, last. Right (to me) connotes the beginning, and left connotes the end. The beginning would be at the top of the stack (newest) and ending would be older. Bottom line, where do you change the order in Post Nav? Because everything else (including Post Tiles) is set up the way I want it. There was code in the .php file for Post Tiles to allow me to choose ascending or descending order.

I basically abandoned this, and went for re-ordering my posts, and I'm now trying to get the .php change to the post tiles .php file to actually work. It currently seems to have no effect.

My last question is, how do I exclude a category from showing up in Post Nav? Because I'm using Post Nav in my "WORK" section, I don't want blog posts to show up in that nav. Thanks!

James B

Hi there,

If you've made a category page for the 'work' section and then used the post nav inside there, then that will only work through the posts which are inside that category, not the entire post collection etc.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

space57

About the descrepancy between page tiles and post nav ordering, I tried a solution whereby I would use a post reordering plugin to reverse the order of my posts, the thinking being that post nav would follow this order, but I would FLIP the order of post tiles in order to make sense visually. HOWEVER this solution did not work, as the post reordering plugin was negating the .php modification to post tiles that I was using to try to flip the order in post tiles. So it seems I am back to square one. Is there any possible way to tell post nav to flip it's orientation? If so, how?

Again, the issue can be best seen if you go to my site, dsrstudio.com and look at the order of posts in the post tiles structure on the home page. When you click into the first post (Night Moves) - you will see that the navigation in post nav doesn't follow the same logic. In other words, post nav begins at the newest post, which is Night Moves, and instead of going from newest to oldest (left being blank, right being the next story down in the date stack, which would be the next tile over to the right) what you see is something impossible to use. So I really need to flip the orientation of how post nav works.

Danny

HI,

The PostNav section allows you to navigate between your posts using the default Wordpress post ordering which goes from oldest (left) to newest (right), this is standard in Wordpress. You haven't actually re-ordered your posts as far as I can see, all you have done is used a tile plugin for your homepage.

Therefore, there is no issue with the PostNav section it is doing it job as expected. When you create a standard blog on Wordpress, your previous posts via the pagination Previous (Older) will always be on the left, with the Next (newest) being on the right, the Postnav follows the same logic as Wordpress. If you have an issue with this, you will need to take this up with Wordpress.

If you wish to re-order your posts (something you haven't done), you will need to either use a custom code, create your loopsection or see if there is a plugin offering this functionality. You can use the Post Type Order plugin to drag and drop your posts order. However, I am not certain if the PostNav section will follow these changes, its worth a try.

Please search our forums, before posting!