Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aires

Lessons Learned

Aires+    258
Aires

Well I finally managed to convert one of my existing sites to DMS. And what a rocky road it has been. The first mistake I made was installing DMS on an already existing site with tons of plugins activated. In doing so caused multiple script errors which made my site inaccessible. I  had to removed DMS via FTP and start over.  I started this time by deactivating  every plugin and installing DMS again. Once installed I went to work adding sections and such until I had a descent homepage.  Made a template page and pumped out all the  basic templates. Still working on the game page templates but it should be a breeze.

Now on to the plugins:

WP Online store:   Problem-Caused font issues and padding problems also made the edit pencil not show on a couple sections  / also made Latest Blog Entries a full width section and could not be dragged into another column

Solution- Deactivate & Delete

Cute Slider: Cancelled out many sections like icallout and better boxes but could be used on pages with out these particular sections

ET shortcodes :  Did not work with DMS installed

ET Handheld:  Script error at the top of the page but was still accessable  in chrome but not in Firefox

BBpress:  Nothing but issues

Solution- Working on it (not giving up on this one)

Custom Log In page:  It worked but was no longer needed

WP Lightbox: Problem – the plugin quit working but the images were still there just not in a Lightbox

ET Anticipate:  Problem - Script error

Solution: Deactivate & Delete

Paypal Donate: Problem – instead of a button the shortcode  was visible

Contact form:  Problem – Only shortcode was visible

Solution- Deactivate & Delete (installed contact form 7 and it works)

NextScripts - Social Networks Auto-Poster:  Works fine

Social Slider by ARScode:  Works fine

Custom Widget Areas for WordPress:   Problem - Needs more testing  (while activate I had to hit publish 7 to 8 times in order to get the green light and some times it works on the first try)

Solution – Deactivated but I don’t think I need it anymore

Responsive Searchable 3 Level Accordion For Wordpress:  It worked ok as a widget it just look tacky inside DMS

Solution – Deactivate & Delete  (Looking for a DMS alternative)

Jetpack: Problem – Worked great until I started using better boxes and the image would  not load  from each box

Solution – Deactivate for now till I find a fix

After all that  head scratching  here is where I am at now  http://sabotagegaming.net/  not 100% yet I still have to redo every game page. Originally each page had its own background  image and content area color so this should be easy with DMS.

Some issues I ran into were the sections and widgets in sidebar  appearing to close together  in some case it was like they were on top of each other. While I am writing this it dawns on me that I could maybe create a style for padding ... so I will mess around with that later, but it would be  nice to have a padding option with in all sections and not just certain ones. 

• Like 1

ndTgvai.jpg

Visit iheartpagelines.com for the latest tutorials on PageLines related products.

Rob    547
Rob

Thanks for sharing your insights and experiences Aires. 

Turning off the plugins, particularly any older ones is a best practice before installing DMS, or any framework, platform or theme. It's a good way to avoid conflicts.

Another good practice is to conduct a compatibility check with plugins from time to time to make sure things are all up to date. It's a safe way to keep your site up to date and conflict free.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

batman    389
batman

Hi Aires

Thanks for sharing

I take note

wpml_mail.gif

Life is too short to remove USB safely ...