Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mvhispano

"Includes

mvhispano
Hi there,
I have a technical question that I need help with so based on your answer I can go and hire a developer to build a plugin/extension for me.
Here is my problem ... The way I currently structure my sites is with a lot of "includes".
So I have multiple pages that sell something on my site. Those pages for example include a "guarantee" or a "customer support policy feature box" that sometimes I want to change or test.
So if I have page-a, page-b, page-c ... they all include a php file, or html snippet called "guarantee" or "customer support"
If I change that "include" then it's changed on EVERY page where that was inserted.
I'd love to have this in pagelines. Is it possible to build it given your API architecture? How would you do it?
You are doing something like this for the header and footer... but I'll need that for elements inside the page.
If you can point me to the right direction I'll hire a dev to create the plugin.
Thanks so much!

Rob

Hi,

Using DMS, you could add a TextBox to contain anything in these PHP pages and include the TextBox in a template.  Just assign the template when and where you want it on pages.  You can have the textboxes appear in posts globally, or locally (all post types or single posts).

You can also use a custom sidebar, and Widget Logic to assign the information to specific pages, categories or posts.

Alternatively, you can use an include plugin from WordPress that will let you use a shortcode to place included PHP pages in a post or page.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

mvhispano

Hi Rob, thanks so much I thought of...

Using DMS, you could add a TextBox to contain anything in these PHP pages and include the TextBox in a template.  Just assign the template when and where you want it on pages.  You can have the textboxes appear in posts globally, or locally (all post types or single posts).

But wouldn't that mean that everytime I want to change that part I need to go and change ALL the pages with the new content? Maybe I'm not understanding how this works correctly?

I just want to change in "one place" and all the pages that have that "include" change automatically. I believe with the Textbox... I'll need to go and at least reload the page and save it again, or copy and paste the modification? or am I wrong?

Yeah... something like Widgets will work but then I lose all the drag and drop possibilites that pagelines offers for designing that piece of content that I need to pull or not?

I guess to express my "wish" more clearly...

I want to be able to design a page or a part of it with pagelines... then include that in multiple pages and by changing the original, it will update across the website anywhere is included.

Makes sense?

Thanks so much for your help!

Rob

Actually, if you change the text box in a page and save/update the template, and make the change apply to all pages or posts, then no. You'd change it once for all where the box is included.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur