Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JawDesigns

Working with Client Websites

JawDesigns

Hi,

I'll be finishing off a clients website soon and because it's my first website I was wondering what would be the appropriate procedure in handing them over the complete project giving that my DMS account is activated on their website. Is it ok for me to simply provide them with administrator wp login details and therefore my DMS activation. I'll be updating the site myself from time to time but this would also allow my client to make small changes themselves.

Thanks for any advice/help on how to hand a DMS/Wordpress project over to a client.

Cheers, James

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

Danny
Hi,

Other users may have different opinions, but for me what I would do is this:

1. Create a new account for your client and use a Roles and Capability plugin to revoke specific permissions from their account, as they won't need most of them.

2. You can then also use a plugin to remove specific menu items from the Wordpress Admin Dashboard, this gives you piece of mind that they wont do something crazy, which you will need to resolve.

3. You can also remove the Karma and Account tab from the DMS Toolbar or restrict access to the DMS completely if you like.

define('DMS_DISABLE_ACCOUNT_PANEL',true);
define('DMS_DISABLE_KARMA_PANEL',true);

For instructions on how to restrict access to the DMS toolbar see here - http://docs.pagelines.com/tutorials/lockdown-visual-editor

Please search our forums, before posting!

antipodes

Is there a way to grant access to update section parms without the ability to move the sections around ?  aka screw up the layout ?

thanks

Danny

antipodes - Unfortunately, this isn't possible. However, it is a rather cool concept and one, I will bring to our developers attention.

antipodes

Danny

I am glad you like the idea, it is I think rather critical to the future of DMS. While the DMS editor is very cool, it's limitations are becoming a real concern for me.  The risk for pagelines is that you might get developers using DMS for rapid prototyping or simple blogs, but using another platform when it comes to deployment for enterprise cms or multilanguage cms... I hope that you do have the serious CMS markets in your sights?

Danny

DMS isn't a CMS and isn't trying to be a CMS, the CMS is WordPress. However, I understand your concerns for better controls over handing over to a client and multi-language support, as do our developers.

antipodes

Danny,  thanks for noting the concern, of course I was referring to using wordpress as a CMS as opposed to a blog or simple website. For simple sites I see little in the way of limitations, but as soon as I try to use the site as a true CMS with many users/languages I find it harder and harder to stay with DMS, but I think you get that already

regards